Good day all guys,is always so exciting join a new GB!

I'll start with a Desert Storm AV-8B,the VMA-231 Boss jet.

Ok,start with the customary pics of the build stuff.

Firts the model box.

GoODek.jpg[/url][/img]

Next,the Aires wheel bays and cockpit and the Brassin weapons for the load-out that will consist of four Rockeyes and a single Aim-9L.

SdAc42.jpg[/url][/img]

Again,the Eduard PE sheet,Quickboost open air-brake and Aires wheel and jet exhaust.

Chxe85.jpg[/url][/img]

Finally the decals,with both the stencils and unit markings sheets from Microscale.

kwx2Ot.jpg[/url][/img]

That's all for now,I will start ASAP.

BTW,I'll add an ALQ-164 DECM pod that isn't produced in 1/72,so I'm open to any suggestion to scratch/obtain it!

Thanks all,

Gianni.

Edited by kurnass77

Wow! I built this kit earlier this year, but certainly didn't add all of these goodies that you're going to!

I have two other 1/72 Hasegawa Harriers in the stash (AV-8B Plus and AV-8B Night Attack) so I'll be watching to see how these upgrades go!

Mike

Wow! I built this kit earlier this year, but certainly didn't add all of these goodies that you're going to!

I have two other 1/72 Hasegawa Harriers in the stash (AV-8B Plus and AV-8B Night Attack) so I'll be watching to see how these upgrades go!

Mike

I've also programmed the other two versions,with the light and dark camos.Olimp conversion and a mixed Two Bobs-Authentic Decals sheets.

Gianni

• 1 month later...

Good day all guys,

more of a month passed from myn last post,but it was a bad time:the ARC move,problem at the job and the loss of an uncle that was more another dad that an uncle hit me very hard.

So the building progress was minimal but I'll share with you what I done.

With all the AM to insert in this build I focus my effort in thin the plastic ,cut panels and dry fit.

XpypZ0.jpg

Look like if both Aires and Quickboost are out with the measurement when cast the detail set as the wheel bays and the speedbrake housing are smaller that the Hase respectively panel lines.

S0mma5.jpg

veiPQY.jpg

From the pics,you can see that I've also opened the Chaff & flare housing;in fact I don't want use decals to represent'em.I choose the Brengun PE set as look spot on for the dimension,the PE in the Eduard set are too big.

Thinning the forward fuselage to accomodate the new pit,I take the opportunity to open the boarding steps and scratch the one closest to the air intake,missed by Hase..

5nYfNE.jpg

At this stage I've also opened various air scoop/intake and the tail "puffs" and added some tulle to replicate the protective grills.

HziQez.jpg

Some details in the "turtle deck",more will follow with the fuselage closed.

4nNQti.jpg

To light the job,I added some detail to the GAU-12 pod...

Cn55T9.jpg

,,,and to the pylons.

LrE7XY.jpg

Edited by kurnass77

Part Two

I tried to alternate the build between the scratch/detailing job and the painting.

The first part painted was the Hot nozzles using different Alclad shades.

gLNwB9.jpg

Then continue with the ordnance.

Eduard brassin stated on their products blisters "1/72 revolution" and this's the truth.

Here the Rockeyes and the 'Winder are colored and decaled,and despite still gloss,look the most beautiful weapons I worked with.

vbWrXa.jpg

At this point I continued with the pit.

As always great detail from Aires.

rnyZ4Y.jpg

The tub

Hmztu3.jpg

And the bang seat.

NAl2Op.jpg

9Nq3UQ.jpg

jhCMUz.jpg

Now I want paint the main wheel bay but I don't find any useful pics,so any help will be more than appreciated.

Thanks all for watching,

Gianni.

P.S.mlicari,

sorry for  haven't reply before...

The Olymp set is of the standard quality of the brand;I bought it in first place to obtain unit markings for combat veteran jets with the added bonus of the LERX/FLIR housing to convert my other "vanilla" Harrier to Night Attack standard.

About the resin ordnances,are not so bad ,but you can actually buy better AMs today.

Edited by kurnass77
7 hours ago, RKic said:

WOW! Those rockeyes are exquisite! And I love what you did with the ejection seat. It is always a treat to see all the details you pack into a 1/72 airplane.

Thanks all guys,RKic,the CBUs are very good,but I can't deserve too much for this,as Eduard provide all the necessary to do the job!

Gianni

Edited by kurnass77
  • 2 weeks later...

Good day all guys,

I made some progress on the model despite all the problems at the jobs of this period...

Ok,let's start:first I painted the main gear well;I haven't found any real useful pics of this area,so i used as reference some net pics,the ones in the Fox Two book ( I know,the book cover the RAF birds but I use'em only for some details ) and a bit of artistic license.

MRu4tJ.jpg

With this done,I moved to glue the various Aires/Quickboost sub-assembly;naturally for the brands'standard,aligne all the parts was veeery difficult.So,to "freeze" in place the resin I used the Milliput,with a successive addiction of CA/talc powder to add strenght.

AxzX2Y.jpg

U8TlVH.jpg

And after my recent experience with the AZ MiG-17,I packed all the available space around the pit and in the nose cone with fishing lead.

aJU3e9.jpg

When working with the Dremel to thin the fuselage,I was a bit "entusiast" and damaged the lower fuselage ( red circle ) and this lead to ,in part, the misealignement of the fuselage ( green line ) in the dry fit image below.

But look how,cutting the kit panel lines to use the AM resin,the process produced some nasty "canyons"...somethings to remember for my next two Harries!

ckLjdH.jpg

In order to lighten up a bit my mind,I start detailing the RCVs;for now I've finished the nose and stinger ones,next those of the wing tips.

V66sSh.jpg

Last,the Rockeyes and the Aim-9 received the final matt coat.

v1owdM.jpg

That's all for today;now I'll move to join the fuselage and start putty/sanding all the seams,especially around the wheel and airspeed brake wells.

Like always thanks for looking and feel free of comment and critique!

Cheers,

Gianni

3 minutes ago, RKic said:

all of the little ones?

If you mean the vortex generator,no,I'm not in the mental serenity to do,I replaced only those on the wing leading edges.

I finished to smooth down the joint between the forward fuselage and the area immediately inside the air intakes thanks to CA glue and talc powder,same for the seams around the resin inserts ( wheel bays,speedbrakes etc...).

Now I need a little free time for some pics!

Gianni

Good day all my friends;

in one of the previous post I told that I've started work on the air intake,well I worked the whole week to improve the look of the area.

First,I smoothed the joint in the fuselage area as there was present very deep seams. Here the weapons was plasticard and CA/talc powder,sanded at the best.

In the pics the seams is clearly visible but only 'cause the CA dried clear.

pU5cZg.jpg

The dry fit of the intake inlets show how important was the steps created...

fWbOSr.jpg

So,as first,I thinned the inner side ,showed on the left of the pics...

ARTO4r.jpg

Now,in order to match the surface of the intakes trunk,I glued some stripe of plasicard,left without the area that coincided with the aux air doors...

aEMeq1.jpg

Again dry fit,little better...

pNGMuO.jpg

And all was filled and sanded smooth thanks to CA/talc powder,Tamiya grey putty and Gunze Mr. Dissolved putty.

29DlYl.jpg

5j8zyb.jpg

I've already sprayed some grey to check the result that revealed only minor defect that need a fix.

End of part one .

Edited by kurnass77

Part two.

As previously mentioned,the use of the Aires/Quickboost resin left some trenches;again plastic and CA/talc powder was the media that solved the day...

EV0hrL.jpg

I wonder if the Aires people work measuring the model for which the resin sets are intended and if all the job you need to correctely incorporate'em in the model worth something...

rm9A2F.jpg

Changin working area to break a little,I redo the turtle deck,as the fuselage halves left a step that was impossible to sand down without damage the details.

BNkYba.jpg

Last,in the right side of the nose,a panel will be filled as I don't see it in any of my ref pics.

Again,the profile of the panel is visible 'cause the use of CA glue as filler.

uUj0K3.jpg

And the new wing fences obtained from clear plastic.

7tnOeV.jpg

That's all for now,I've currently glued the nose cone ,next will be the wing and the LERX.

A dry fit of the IP and the windshield showed some serious problems,comprised a too narrow width of the clear part,so before start any fix,someone know if exist a vacuform replacement for the canopy assembly?

Like always thanks for stop by,

cheers,

Gianni

Hi people,

like said yesterday I've made some small progress,so here to you!

Last time the model was still without nose;now after little sanding,this part join very good with the fuselage.

qCtCQ2.jpg

And the turtle deck finished,more or less...

YdtE4f.jpg

...like the tailfin air inlet,that I've opened.This part don't fit very well,but nothing that some CA glue and sanding can't solve.

NzUt98.jpg

I decided to add more detail to the rear "stinger".

In fact the kit one was too approsimative for me,as visible in the upper image.With some plasticard,punch & die and some sanding this is the result.

And the same for the wing ones.Also note how the scratched wing puffer turned out,courtesy of some grey paint.

CecwUp.jpg

MUPFNr.jpg

The gunpod was glued;the fit with the belly isn't the best,but the trick of Tamiya grey putty and an earstick soaked in Gunze thinner will work.

What is very bad is the "bridge" covering the weapon's feeding mechanism...Here I need to revert to plasticard and Tamiya putty for sure.

02VK9t.jpg

Ok.

After the new wing fences,I noted how much thick the kit LERX was,so in a suffered decision,I choose to replace them with new in clear plasticard.

Also Hasegawa made the LERX integral with the wing,like in the F-16 or -18.In reality,the 65% LERX was bolted to the airframe in a manner that you can see clearly in the FoxTwo book.

Here you can see the wing joined with the forward spine( this will ease the alignment of the parts ) .

m71Icr.jpg

uql7xv.jpg

I've also reworked a bit the IFR probe,sanding the forward end at a more rounded shape,as per ref pics, and slightly changing the position to the correct position.

I need to add some extra details here and also started to wonder if scratch it in open position.Who do you think?

s7kyrQ.jpg

And like the model look with the wings dry fitted.

yn1CKZ.jpg

That's all for now.

After glueing and filling the wings,I can start think to the work on the windscreen and the landing gears.

Like always thanks for looking and feel free of comment!!!!!

Cheers,

Gianni

Edited by kurnass77

Good night all guys,

a quick.little update.

I passed the last week-end detailing the cannon packs.

Checking the pics,I noted how much details Hasegawa omitted,beginnig with panel lines that I added (also the small round one under the port cold nozzle fairing ) and the seal (?) on the forward and aft end of both pods.

Y3zsCF.jpg

As I previous said,the join between the feed mechanism cover and the pods is very bad,here I used plasticard,CA/ talc powder  and added a small panel and the air scoop,obtained from a Phoenix missile nose reworke to the correct shape.

DjqGw5.jpg

Last,I closed the holes behind the four nozzles and thanks the FoxTwo book,I added also a minimal details,even if the resin exhaust will cover pratically all!

4D1bvP.jpg

That's all,

Thanks for watching.

Gianni