Hasegawa 1/72 F/A-18 F Super Hornet

Now that I have got about 60% of my RF-111C completed for the Recce GB. I'd like to introduce my 1st build for the group.

IMG_4087_zpspj8txuky.jpg

RAAF's introduction to the Super hornet.

On 3 May 2007, the Australian Libral Government signed a A$2.9 billion contract to acquire 24 F/A-18Fs for the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) as an interim replacement for aging 22 F-111s in service at the time. The total cost with training and support over 10 years was expected to be A$6 billion (US$4.6 billion), which was deemed extravagant for a bridging capability til the introduction of the JSF,

A review was announced on 31 December 2007, by the new Australian Labor government, as part of a wider review of the RAAF's combat aircraft procurement plans. The main reasons given were concerns over operational suitability, the lack of a proper review process, and internal beliefs that an interim fighter was not required. On 17 March 2008, the Government announced that it would proceed with plans to acquire all 24 F/A-18Fs, and the 22 F-111's would be retired by 2010.

The Block II package aircraft offered to the RAAF include installed engines and six spares, APG-79 AESA radars, Link 16 connectivity, LAU-127 guided missile launchers, AN/ALE-55 fiber optic towed decoys and other equipment.

The government has also sought U.S. export approval for the EA-18G Growler. On 27 February 2009, It was announced that 12 of the 24 Super Hornets would be wired on the production line for future modification as EA-18Gs. The additional wiring would cost A$35 million. The final decision on conversion to EA-18Gs, at a cost of A$300 million, would be made in 2012.

The first RAAF Super Hornet was completed in 2009 and first flew from Boeing's factory in St. Louis, Missouri on 21 July 2009. RAAF crews began training in the USA in 2009. The RAAF's first five F/A-18Fs arrived at their home base, RAAF Base Amberley in Queensland, on 26 March 2010; and were joined by six more aircraft on 7 July 2010. Following the arrival of another four aircraft in December 2010, the first RAAF F/A-18F squadron was declared operational on 9 December 2010.

In May 2013, Australia announced they would retain the 24 F/A-18F instead of converting them, and will order 12 new EA-18Gs

In May 2013, Australia announced they would retain the 24 F/A-18F instead of converting them, and will order 12 new EA-18Gs

Ordered almost immediately. The first RAAF EA-18G was officially rolled out in July 2015, but flight testing earlier

http://www.boeing.com/resources/boeingdotcom/features/2015/07/bds_raaf_630x354.jpg

Shane

Ordered almost immediately. The first RAAF EA-18G was officially rolled out in July 2015, but flight testing earlier

http://www.boeing.co...aaf_630x354.jpg

Shane

Hi Shane,

Yeah i was aware they were ordered. forgot to add that part.

Question are you related to a Peter Weier that works for BDA?

Edited by Aussie_superbug

I failed miserably at this kit. I rushed gluing the fuselage components, And ended up with so many seems to fill. Those zig-zaggy panel lines were a pain in the arsse to describe. Take your time, insert internal spacers and support tabs, liberally.

Question are you related to a Peter Weier that works for BDA?

Probably. Our family migrated here from Germany in the mid 19th century. Big families over several generations and we spread widely around and then outside SE Queensland. I know of one Peter Weier, but not that one - however the spelling is unusual enough to make it likely.

I'm just a (semi) retired soldier who like models, especially aircraft, and keeps in touch with what our services are doing

Shane

Probably. Our family migrated here from Germany in the mid 19th century. Big families over several generations and we spread widely around and then outside SE Queensland. I know of one Peter Weier, but not that one - however the spelling is unusual enough to make it likely.

I'm just a (semi) retired soldier who like models, especially aircraft, and keeps in touch with what our services are doing

Shane

thumbsup.gif. No worries just wondering that's all. Ex Choco myself

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

firstly I want to say welcome back to the GB.

So whilst the forums were down I actually got a fair bit of this one done So here is some progress shots of it. Unfortunately I got so entrance with the build, I forgot to take pictures until i had actually finished painting the hornet.    

intakes joined together and seams filled

IMG_4090_zpsxficq8vv.jpg

I had some gaps between the vertical stabs and the fuselage, these were tamiya surface primer was brushed in and wiped away with IPA to smooth the joints, same was applied to the forward fuselage

IMG_4094_zpsji8n2t4h.jpg

IMG_4089_zpsz1fbsff6.jpg

IMG_4088_zpsny6udup9.jpg

Cockipt has been painted and kit decals applied

IMG_0260_zps5opspobg.jpg

Nose landing gear complete,- The only modification i did to this was drill out the landing light painted it silver and applied Micro clear to it. 

IMG_0262_zps9puflqnv.jpg

Now come to the part that i didn't take pics of until it was all completed:bandhead2:

As with my F-111 build I had blacked base the model, then mottled the base coats, until I was happy with the level of coverage. With the level of action our supers saw in the MEAO, they got pretty dirty very quickly, compared to when they left Australia. 

IMG_0259_zpsmdwktkes.jpg

IMG_0261_zps6lwv1b2v.jpg

Ralph, I did have an issue with the port intake/ rear fuselage seam, at 6 ft not really noticeable until you get up close and personal with it but, I can live with it.

I Have started applying the decals but have only attached the No steps on the wings, As the decals that I have for the Sqn marking are way to light that they aren't noticeable against the ghost grey of the Vertical stabs, So i have to source an other set hopefully I can still get a set of these.

Cheers

Welcome back Brendon! Good to see more of your hornet. It's looking very nice.

Those wheels look perfect. How do you get such a clean line of demarcation between the tire and the hub? 

Thanks for the kind words Guy's.

Ralph, I sprayed the wheel hubs white, then once dried , using a toothpick and  Humbrol Maskol carefully went around the hub edges, cleaning up any solution that may have gone onto the wheel, then filled the centres in.once the the tyres were done. remove the Maskol and all done.

Edited by Aussie_superbug