Help with F-4 Vandy 76

I'm starting my Vandy 76 project and have a question about the underside of the wings. The slats were fixed in the extended position on both the inboard and outboard wings. I'll be swapping wings with Hasegawa F-4E and J kits. What I can't determine is if the slat mechanisms were present on the underside of the inboard wings. I've looked at dozens of pictures, but the lighting is such that I just can't tell. There was one picture from the front that looked like they were there, but I want to be sure, since this will be an article in FSM and I want to get it correct. Thanks for any help.

Darren, there is a useful photo of 153088 coming in for a landing before she got the Bicentennial paint and the F-4B radome.

it is from the side and bottom, and you can clearly see the three slat actuator fairings on the mid-wing slats,,,,,,and the inside leading edge flaps still operable and deployed down.

That config (there were many) had 4 outerwing slat supports, not evenly spaced, for the fixed outerwing slat.

The Radome was the F-4K/M type without the J's "bump" on the bottom rear of it.

I don't know if this is helpful with the Bicentennial Scheme or not,,,,,but, it is one config of the aircraft at one point, anyway.

Awesome info! Thanks a bunch guys. Scott, those are perfect pictures! Rex, I can see the four different supports for the outer slat. It seems to be five connecting posts for the inner slat. I'm curious how the slat mechanisms worked? There are three of them, but they seem to line up with connecting posts. Were the fairings simply to test airflow on this airframe?

Another question. Did it have the ECM receiver antenna on the wingtips like the S?

Edited by Darren Roberts

Awesome info! Thanks a bunch guys. Scott, those are perfect pictures! Rex, I can see the four different supports for the outer slat. It seems to be five connecting posts for the inner slat. I'm curious how the slat mechanisms worked? There are three of them, but they seem to line up with connecting posts. Were the fairings simply to test airflow on this airframe?

Another question. Did it have the ECM receiver antenna on the wingtips like the S?

The slats did not "work", they were fixed in the extended position. The four supports are even in different locations from the fairings. And from looking at other photos is does not appear to have the EMC antenna on the wing tips. The B/N (153088) sez it is an F-4J.

This slat program was a long time before the thought of an F-4S was even considered, it was before the F-4N program. Around the same time as the F-4E slats were developed.

By inner slats , do you mean the mid wing slats? or the innerwing flaps?

Auld Pharts that served around non-slotted stab F-4Bs and early F-4Js called them inner, mid, and outer, because the inner flaps had not been pinned yet. (on RF-4Bs also, just for completeness sake)

Younger guys seem to call them just inner and outer, because they only worked around jets that had two of the three flaps working.

And yes, as Norm says 153088 was an F-4J, even though it has often been called an F-4B in print, and just lately, called an F-4S. (the radome and the slats threw people off, I guess)

This slat program was a long time before the thought of an F-4S was even considered, it was before the F-4N program. Around the same time as the F-4E slats were developed.

By inner slats , do you mean the mid wing slats? or the innerwing flaps?

Auld Pharts that served around non-slotted stab F-4Bs and early F-4Js called them inner, mid, and outer, because the inner flaps had not been pinned yet. (on RF-4Bs also, just for completeness sake)

Younger guys seem to call them just inner and outer, because they only worked around jets that had two of the three flaps working.

And yes, as Norm says 153088 was an F-4J, even though it has often been called an F-4B in print, and just lately, called an F-4S. (the radome and the slats threw people off, I guess)

Great explanation!

Anything China Lake Rex, anything! Some day I'll finish a few that are started...mainly 142122 VX-5 then off to a Rhino...149452 in QF-4B livery...

Cheers my good man!

Larry

Edited by Incaroad