China announces new long range bomber

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11703623

Personally, this is my favorite part of the article.

"Any new bomber, be it in the league of the United States 1980s swing-wing B-2 "Lancer" or 1990s super-stealth B-1 "Spirit", would represent a significant improvement in capability."

Does this have anything to do with the recent announcement that China will start building the AN-225?

You mean in the same way a C-17 is a bomber An-225 will be one too? (And the An-225 deal is a pipe dream as of now)

Developing a modern long range bomber has been a real challenge for the plaaf; certianly compared to the great strides made in outher aspects of chinese aviation.

Something in the class of a backfire/blackjack would be of great utility for the plan in particular...from what i remember lack of a suitable engine in particular hampered efforts for many years. Given the current ongoing 'learning experience ' with the ws-10 engine - it may be awhile off yet,

You mean in the same way a C-17 is a bomber An-225 will be one too? (And the An-225 deal is a pipe dream as of now)

At least it could CARRY a lot of bombs. It would probably have a LOT of difficulty dropping them, especially with any accuracy. Surviving in a high threat environment would also be a major problem.

Developing a modern long range bomber has been a real challenge for the plaaf; certianly compared to the great strides made in outher aspects of chinese aviation.

Something in the class of a backfire/blackjack would be of great utility for the plan in particular...from what i remember lack of a suitable engine in particular hampered efforts for many years. Given the current ongoing 'learning experience ' with the ws-10 engine - it may be awhile off yet,

They need to master how to make it go. I read somewhere their boss was quoted as saying propulsion is numero uno on the priority list.

It is a challenge but it is also priorities. I think J-20 and Y-20 were more important for PLAAF. Now it is the H-20's turn.