Moving ARC Forums

New hosting company set up a "root" server instead of a "managed" server. I contacted them and got them to set up a new server. A "root" server would give me access to all programs on the server...it also means if there are any problems with the server....the problems are mine to solve. I am not a programmer and avoid root servers. A "managed" server comes with tech support if server has a problem.

New "managed" server is set up at new hosting company.

Here are the problems.

• ARC forums database is massive. It will be moved by the new hosting company. They will migrate the data from the old server to the new server.
  • Forums will be turned off while the data is moved and forums program is hooked up and updated.
  • Then the forums program on new server will need to be redirected to the new database name on the new server
  • Then Invision Tech support will need to go in and update the forums program.
  • There is an endless amount of things that can go wrong.
  • Moving the forums seldom goes well.

Time frame

I expect all this to take 5 to 14 days.

5 days is very optimistic considering there is 2 companies and Invision already told me their side of this can take 8 days.

14 days is if everything goes completely wrong...been there done that.

I'll probably start this on Tuesday.....keep an eye on the ARC homepage for daily updates during the move. www.arcair.com

You have no idea how much I dread moving the Forums....it seldom goes well.

Good luck with this, I don't have any real idea how complex this is, but I'll just have to be patient and hope.

If we disappear into the Twilight Zone, it's been a privelage....

Well in the worst case situation...we will still be here with the big red warning page. :woot.gif:

• 1 month later...

Wonderful to see you got it working again. Thanks for all the stress this must have cost you Steve!  Only concern, I am still getting the warning on my computer and had to use my phone. Any one have any idea if I need to reset something or other?

Just now, phantom said:

Wonderful to see you got it working again. Thanks for all the stress this must have cost you Steve!  Only concern, I am still getting the warning on my computer and had to use my phone. Any one have any idea if I need to reset something or other?

The warning is false now...I'm not sure how to get it removed.

42 minutes ago, Lancer512 said:

I guess we just have to report in that it is not a suspicious site anymore? The more reports they get, the sooner the forums it will be off the "blacklist".

I checked with google...all the dead phishing code needs to be removed.  Then the warning is removed.  I have no clue how to remove the code....I need to research further.

Well the code was updated......so some older code remains.  Or perhaps the phishing code is in the database?  I really don't understand this stuff.

I asked Invision and they said not to worry about it because the upgrade would stop the code from working.

3 minutes ago, Hal Marshman Sr said:

You have been sorely missed. Hearty welcome back!

Thanks Hal...i hope you are doing well.  It is good to be back...not having the forum was like I was missing 1 eye.  I really need to learn how to tone down the white back ground.  But tonight I'm relaxing and just enjoying the forums being back.

Thanks SBARC and anyone else who helped migrate the forums and get them back online.  This probably turned out to be way more than you bargained for.  It's great to have them back!  Let the fun begin again.

Tom

• SBARC unpinned this topic