Vickers Valiant

Hi,

This is my Micro Mir Valiant.

Great Wall Hobby made us some lovely kits of the Victor and the Vulcan, but in case of the Valiant only Micro Mir from Russia makes one in 1/144 (apart from the Welsh Models vacuform kits).

29458824915_1f76c417cb_z.jpgMicro Mir Valiant by StefanBuysse, on Flickr

I've always been fascinated by the V-bombers. I have seen Victors and the single Vulcan (XH558) flying, but never a Valiant. I believe that the last flight of a Valiant was around 1968. I think they were already out of service then, but I heard that they got one into RAF Abingdon for the celebrations of the RAF's 50th birthday.

Anyway, I'll build this one in the white anti-flash scheme.

One thing lacking from the kit is the attachement part for the refueling probe (or a refueling probe). Many Valiants flew with just the attachment part but without a probe fitted.

I'll have to scratchbuild that.

Cheers, Stefan.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Thanks for taking a look.

No, she's not ready yet. I'm still primarily trying to finish the stuff for the Recce GB, I'll be more into this one and the attack GB after the New Year. Even the recce stuff got a bit delayed due to issues outside modelling.

I did look into a Valiant book and saw it confirmed that the very last flight was the one to the Abingdon display in 1968. 

Cheers, Stefan.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Getting started on this one. I have to take it easy for the moment, a nice small project suits me well right now.

I glued the droptanks together. I wasn't sure which material this kit is made from but they stuck well together with Tamiya Extra Thin.

Cheers, Stefan. 

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 5:10 AM, RKic said:

I hope to see photos soon. I've been thinking about building some things in 1/144. Would this kit be a good first go at tiny scale?

Hi,

This one does feel a bit like a "limited run" kit. There is putty in the gap between the fuselage halves now, I need to sand that smooth and then hope that the wing can be mated to the fuselage.

There are probably nicer "first 1/144 kits" out there. I read some very favorable comments on the Trumpeter F-14 in 1/144 recently.

Cheers, Stefan.