My LHS received its stock last week. Considering that there was 50% more content compared to the HB Su-27 but retailed at the same price of US$42, it is a steal.

It does look pretty decent. For that price, I'd have get one of each variant they release just because. Fortunately, it will cost noticeably more so I'll have to be content with merely this one (if it's like 30% less than the AMK kit) and an M.

Edited by ijozic

I would love to see a side by side comparison with AMK. Especially the finished models. Alas, probably no one will do it :)

I'd also love to see a side by side comparison between the two kits and I suspect someone will do one eventually. I picked up the AMK kit a couple months back but this HB kit interests me as well. I'll wait and see what the general consensus is before I make my decision but its nice to have options and different manufacturers to choose from.

• 1 month later...

Can't wait to get that set! ...as soon as it shows at one of my favorite internet hobby outlets.

i want to do one of those blue/gray demo birds... maybe  later i'll do the one with the Orca, it look so nice!

that being said, from the pictures you provide on your website, i think that the orca on the decal sheet look weird. is it a copyright thing? or some anti-forgery thing??

because it doesn't even look close...

pic148b_2.jpgMIG-31+ORCA+2.JPG

When i'm made the pictures i'm switch "blurring border" button in Corel Draw. I'm not afraid Collect Air, but many designers for model producers and small aftermarket decals firm can use good pictures for easy re-draw. For same reason i'm made decal instruction, which you can download from our webpage in pdf in low wis.

And BTW thic killer whale in real life were a little hand-made painted, i'm never saw good pictures of this badge, but it seems it were several times renewed and had a little differnt wiev on same aircraft.

Edited by kotey
  • 1 month later...

At small local modelling competition today there was a box of this new kit. There was a chance to have look inside it. It is nice!

Will have to get one. 

The surface details are nicer than on the AMK version, a lot of mistakes by the other manufacturer were corrected. For example we get metal landing gear as a standard in this kit! The gun, parachute cover is perfect, small details around the exhaust . . . Still dont like the rubber tires and few of the silly mistakes on the kit, like the long flat antenna on the vertical fins. Well the HB kit has an antenna on the inside of the fin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Where did they see this?????? The other problem with this antennas that they are given at a right angle to the fin surface. In real life while the fins are at an angle to the vertical, giving a V shape from the front, the antennas are still horizontal.

The small bumps over the engines are represented (AMK has none) but we get 4 of them while on the real aircraft there are only 3. Simply sand one off.

Over all the kit looks nice in the box! 

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

I got the kit as well, but it will take some time before I have a chance to take a look at it.

But, it's IMHO disappointing that "the standard Foxhounds" Begemot decals as far as I can tell offer no Soviet PVO options besides the ever present Boris Safonov one and two development airframes. Would there be a third sheet or the Cold War is not really "in" anymore?

Edited by ijozic
51 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

...The surface details are nicer than on the AMK version, a lot of mistakes by the other manufacturer were corrected. For example we get metal landing gear as a standard in this kit! The gun, parachute cover is perfect, small details around the exhaust...

Best regards

Gabor

Wow great to hear! I was thinking of getting another AMK kit but after reading this, I may just forget it and spring for this kit instead. Good stuff!

Cheers!

1 hour ago, ijozic said:

But, it's IMHO disappointing that "the standard Foxhounds" Begemot decals as far as I can tell offer no Soviet PVO options besides the ever present Boris Safonov one and two development airframes. Would there be a third sheet or the Cold War is not really "in" anymore?

Is it? In this decal include many USSR Air Defence Force, all named early MiG-31s from Monchegorsk, from schemes 03 to 21, also schemes 28-30 and 38 from this times also, and actually i havn't plans about third decals - first decal were for modern upgraded MiG-31BM/BSM, second - for standard MiG-31s (54 schemes). At my look it enough, but decal include full set of board numbers, you can model any non-named or non-badged MiG-31s from that times.

You can download instruction from decal page at our webpage http://www.begemotdecals.ru/showpos.php?lang=2&id=148 and check, what i have in my mind, when design this decal set, BTW five decal sheets in one set.

10 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

At small local modelling competition today there was a box of this new kit. There was a chance to have look inside it. It is nice!

Will have to get one. 

The surface details are nicer than on the AMK version, a lot of mistakes by the other manufacturer were corrected. For example we get metal landing gear as a standard in this kit! The gun, parachute cover is perfect, small details around the exhaust . . . Still dont like the rubber tires and few of the silly mistakes on the kit, like the long flat antenna on the vertical fins. Well the HB kit has an antenna on the inside of the fin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Where did they see this?????? The other problem with this antennas that they are given at a right angle to the fin surface. In real life while the fins are at an angle to the vertical, giving a V shape from the front, the antennas are still horizontal.

The small bumps over the engines are represented (AMK has none) but we get 4 of them while on the real aircraft there are only 3. Simply sand one off.

Best regards

Gabor

That's great news.

Mine arrives on Monday.

I wonder what Hobby Boss can do with the Mig-31M. I hope is as good as this Mig-31 kit.

Juan

14 hours ago, kotey said:

Is it? In this decal include many USSR Air Defence Force, all named early MiG-31s from Monchegorsk, from schemes 03 to 21, also schemes 28-30 and 38 from this times also, and actually i havn't plans about third decals - first decal were for modern upgraded MiG-31BM/BSM, second - for standard MiG-31s (54 schemes). At my look it enough, but decal include full set of board numbers, you can model any non-named or non-badged MiG-31s from that times.

You can download instruction from decal page at our webpage http://www.begemotdecals.ru/showpos.php?lang=2&id=148 and check, what i have in my mind, when design this decal set, BTW five decal sheets in one set.

Yes, I saw those, but the thing is that pretty much all the regular or DZ variant descriptions (but the few I mentioned plus one of the DZ I missed) refer to late 90's or 2000's and the Russian PVO, rather than the Soviet Union one. I understand that some or even most of those probably could have kept the same markings from the SU era, but if no specific Soviet-era release is planned, it would be quite useful to have updated descriptions which would give an approximate year when such and such marking was confirmed for the specific Soviet PVO regiment as well for those who are not interested in the post-Soviet era.

Edited by ijozic

Ah, i"m understand.

In USSR times were rare use of boartart, so this times boards not clearly shown in instruction, but all MiG-31 (from early and late batches) and DZ without specific names, badges operated in USSR time with same board numbers and red stars. Exactly for this we include all types of board numbers - if you want to do some MiG-31s, which photo do you have.

Allmost all badges were placed in Russian Federation times - more liberty in bortart questions.