1/72 Hasegawa F/A-18C Hornet

This took me about 10 minutes with Vallejo Model Air. I started with FS 36118 and mixed it with FS 36231 to get the correct shade of grey. Then I simply repainted the damaged decal free hand with a very fine and short brush. Any mistakes were then covered with the original base color of FS 36320. For the red on the tails, I started with RAL 3020, but I need to get it a little darker.

F-18C_41.jpg

I enjoyed reading up on this thread, you've done some great work. I've never been able to make preshading work either, I just don't control the color coat nearly well enough for the effect to work.  Really impressive what you've done to fix the decal too, it looks like it never happened!

Great fix mate,thrust me,I'm very happy you solved the problem!

Some time ago I had a similar mishap when I removed masking tape for a touch-up on an already decalled F-100.

But with a good hand,good brush and acrilic paint a slved the day.

PsxMe5.jpg

You now have the finish line in sight,I can wait to see finished this beauty...

Gianni

I continued on the ordnance. While the AGM-65G Maverick missiles are done, the kit's Sidewinders are still fighting me.

The missiles and the upgraded launch rails were painted in different shades of FS36375. After the missiles were dipped in Future, I applied the missile markings from Wolfpack, followed by a Flory Models wash. Once I was statisfied with my work, the launch rails were glues to the missiles and everything was sealed with a coat of XF-86 flat clear. Still not sure if I should paint the seeker heads glossy or leave them flat.

F-18C_42.jpg

Edited by Lancer512

I applied an AK enamel wash to the wheel wells. The model is now ready for a clear satin coat to seal in the decals before the postshading and weathering process. I've also attached the nose landing gear and the sensor pods.to prevent the antennas on the bottom from breaking off. It's about time to give this model some life.

F-18C_43a.jpg

Today I've applied the wash for the panellines. The complete model was coated with the Flory Models Dark Dirt wash, which was then removed with a wet paper towel and cotton buds.

F-18C_44.jpg

F-18C_45.jpg

The wash was then also removed from the panel lines to give it a defining, but not too strong look. I really don't like overdone panel lines, as it seems to be in fashion lately.

F-18C_46.jpg

Edited by Lancer512

Thanks, Hajo. On a satin coat it goes off very easy. As it's clay, it can be removed completely with water, should an accident happen.

Next was streaking. The same clay wash was applied with a brush and streaked aft with both dry and damp (definately not wet) cotton buds.

F-18C_47.jpg

Edited by Lancer512

During the weekend I've installed and rigged the landing gear and added some more weathering to the upper surface. The horizontal stabilizers were also installed in slightly different drooped angles.

The AGM-65 and fuel tanks were originally the same color, but I've toned them down with an AK Interactive enamel wash to give them a different look, as they are next to each other on the wings and would look too uniform. The wash on the missiles was spread evenly for an overall uniform tint, while the same wash on the fuel tanks was randomly swiped around with a brush and left to dry.

F-18C_48.jpg

I still have the remove some blemishes on the windscreen, as the primer/thinner/tape/Future mixture somehow reacted and left some residue in the Future. The AIM-9L are still missing the rollerons on the rear fins, as painting them on did not look convincing. I am still trying to find of a solution for this.

Thank you very much for the kind words.

I did not have the feeling that it was a bad kit. Maybe old, but definately not bad. Based from the experience of how to build this, I'll definately build a 1/72 Hasegawa Hornet again. However, I would not recommend this kit to a beginner, though.