Tamiya 1/100 B-52D Stratofortress

The "D" model was my favorite.   I used to see them everyday going out on strikes. 

Here's a few shots of them during the war:

scan0222.jpg

scan0272.jpg

scan0274.jpg

scan0273.jpg

scan0265.jpg

scan0260.jpg

We have one on display at Orlando International Airport.

Hey Bigashammm, when was your Father at U-T and what did he do?  I spent a year there too for my first tour in S.E.A.

I ws there from Sept 71 to Sept 72.  I was in the 635th Security Police Squadron.  Although my primary job was Law Enforcement, during alerts, if I wasn't already on duty, I would drive armored vehicles for the Air Base Defense section.  We normally carried a 13 man response team in case of trouble.  Overall, it wasn't that bad of an assignment, as long as you were careful. 

Yep, the D variant is my favorite too. Nice pics! Thanks for sharing.

Your time there was during the Easter Offensive, right? My dad was in Da Nang during that time working on the radar systems of the F-4. I remember him talking about the rocket attacks the base would come under. Towards the tailend of his assignment he was transferred to Udorn RTAFB.

Mike

Edited by Ichitoe

I remember the Easter Offensive.  I was waiting to go to the armory and they were showing live feeds from some of the fighting on the base T.V. station.  We started to break out some of the weapons people on the base didn't know we had and it caused a bit of concern in the other squadrons.  We started weapons practice on the beach and were watched by people relaxing at the beach.  We also got in some "G" model B-52s to help out.  Interesting times. 

Originally I was supposed to go to Danang after combat school at Lackland/Medina/Camp Bullis but a typo on my orders had to be corrected and when they did it shifted me to U-T.

ikar - you have some nice BUFF pics on your PB account, thanks for sharing! 

I wish I had my dad's pics from his tour over there. They were "lost" after he passed away. 

Mike

Edited by Ichitoe

The finally stage of this build was to suspend it from the ceiling in the hobby room. I had drilled a couple of holes in the top of the fuselage during the build for the smallest screw eyes I could find.

BB72wKd.jpg

BZKzX48.jpg

I put a screw eye into the ceiling and with a length of Maxima fishing line the BUFF was hung.

0pTHzFe.jpg

229trgn.jpg

I'm thrilled to finally have a BUFF as part of the completed build collection. After building this one the SEA scheme, I want to do one in the silver and black SEA scheme, so I purchased the 1/72 Monogram B-52D, talk about big! It too will have to hang from the ceiling!

Mike

If you don't mind a little extra work on the Monogram kit, You could modify the pylons a little and add some 1/72nd T.E.R.S and 750 pounders from the Hasegawa weapons set, instead of what the kit has.  I remember when that kit came out.  There were very .few pictures of the BUFF available, and they were mostly of the short tails and prototype.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...