I have a few Star Destroyer kits in the stash, and have been hanging onto them until I had the time to really focus on them because they're a bit rare.  I have one of the Venator class, and two of the old ERTL kits, and didn't want to screw up a build by doing it too quickly because they're not available, and pricey to get now. 

I'm excited because I recently saw that Revell is re-issuing the Venator kit - http://www.revell.com/model-kits/entertainment/85-6458.html#.V_mhe5AVA-U

And there is a new kit coming out for Rogue One, that appears to be similar in size to the old ERTL kit.  It's a build-and-play kit, but those can sometimes still be a decent kit, especially with a little work.  It's hard to tell from the photos and video, but it doesn't look too bad in detail.  This should make me less stressed about starting on one now :)

http://www.revell.com/model-kits/entertainment/85-1638.html#.V_ppHZAVA-U

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, very cool - thanks cvrle!  I hadn't heard about that, so I did a search, and found a little info.  

Here's a link with some pretty good info:

http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/star-wars-statues-props-etc-/175818-star-destroyer-kit-zvezda.html

Also, I picked up the new Revell kit, and it does look pretty good - slightly larger than the old MPC/ERTL kit, and overall, I think has better detail.

Here's a comparison of the bridge molding (the top is the new Revell kit):

SDBridge.jpg

Edited by Ken Cartwright

Pictures of the Zvezda kit (recent too!):

quLPWAe.jpg

MPhEv8C.jpg

11224354_798131336956339_457889148401342

14711086_798131286956344_299990818425738

There are a lot more online. Looks REALLY nice to me!

I have the new Revell ISD and AT-ACT kits and they're..."o.k".  With extra scratch building and detailing they can be made to look decent. I really wish they wouldn't have done the fake landing gear things on the ISD as they look just terrible to me. The sound/speaker slots were inevitable with it being more a toy then model and I can live with them I guess. However, I really wish they would have made this a true Snap Tite kit and bumped it up a skill level rather then the lights and sound variety (and bumped up its size). Hey, I know its a readily available ISD at a fairly low price which is good. But its not stellar IMHO. I got mine off of Amazon for cheap but waiting for a 40% Hobby Lobby coupon probably would have been even better. 

For such an iconic SW ship we still have yet to see the definitive mainstream kit of it done. Fingers crossed for Zvezda as its looking like it will be the go-to kit. Perhaps Dragon (long shot I know) will grace us with a larger ISD kit.

Cheers!

Cheers!

I built the AMT/ERTL kit back when they first came out, but not since.  I have two in my stash and had started to build one when I found out what they were going for, and decided to hold off until I could do it right.  I had bought some styrene to add some "greeblies" but never started the build.  I am not that great at building kits, but to me, the new Revell offering looks like it could build a better and more accurate model than the old AMT/ERTL kit.  Both need a lot of work, but I think the new one is less work.

The Zvezda kit looks pretty impressive, and at nearly 2 feet long, is big enough to represent it well.  I hope we get it!

• 4 weeks later...

I did a video review of the new Revell SD model on my YouTube channel, I really got a kick out of assembling it and it does build into a pretty nice representation, but it really is very simple. My girlfriend and I are learning to program with arduino microcontrollers, and I plan to use one to upgrade it with improved engine lights, fiber optic windows and possibly rig the main gun turrets with servo motors. 

Edited by Face
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, The Madhatter said:

this should give you an idea on how big it is: 

http://scalemodels.ru/images/2016/12/1481390115_DSC_1981.jpg 

I have one on order for new year delivery. So can't wait! I have to order a lot more FO thread now to :)

Nice package!

Edited by toadwbg

Impressive. Most impressive.

I've always thought a destroyer kit needs to be big enough to make a proper impression. It just doesn't work as a small snap tite kit or anything similar. This really seems to be big enough! 

• 3 weeks later...

This is the seller I went with.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Imperial-Star-Destroyer-Star-Wars-Model-Kit-scale-1-2700-ZVEZDA-9057-Mint-in-Box/152354938013?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150313114020%26meid%3Dcdf99bbde2714e01a8754e4eb686af1f%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D30%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D322366239452

No particular reason other than he had a decent rating and the price with shipping just happened to fall right under what I had available in Paypal so it worked out. I haven't received a shipping notice or anything yet so we'll see how it goes. I've heard many of them have been held up in post so I'm cautiously optimistic. I was too leary of going with someone shipping without the box. Too much handling for my taste.

Bill

mine arrived today - despite Russia Post telling me it is still awaiting departure from Russia!

Anyways, all I can say is WOW!! It is well worth the money. I took some time today to take some photo's of the detail which you can't find a lot of online for some reason

Link: http://s1224.photobucket.com/user/madhatta/slideshow/Zvezda Star Destroyer/Parts Shots

Here are a few pics of what you get:

IMG_4263_zpsh0p27v8v.jpg

IMG_4254_zpsbtdxupde.jpg

IMG_4259_zps7y6k8nl3.jpg

IMG_4266_zpssjruioax.jpg

IMG_4269_zps6rgllf3j.jpg

IMG_4287_zps6umtxsyc.jpg

IMG_4284_zps0zdeuk5i.jpg

I took a total of 43 shots - all of which are in that link up top, so feel free to have a look through them if the kit is of interest to you. Happy to take other shots of parts on request

I am looking forward to starting this one!

Bye for now

MH

WOW! Thanks for posting these. I can't wait for mine to get in now. I'm afraid it must have not been sent before Russia went on their long New Years holiday so I doubt it will be here anytime soon. Oh well...patience I suppose.

Do the engine bells seem a little off or am I comparing to the wrong studio model? I thought the internal ribs went all the way to the edge just before the inner ring starts. These look like the ribs stop really short of the edge. Not a biggie, just curious.

Bill

no your not alone in thinking that about the engine bells - the exact same thought crossed my mind to. However, this seems to be a different type of star destroyer to the ones in the movies. The lower hangar bays are different as well and there is a protrusion from the front of the superstructure too that isn't on the movie ones. 

Still, these are differences that I can live with and the engine bells would be an easy fix I think. There are also some blank spaces in the side walls etc which could use some extra detailing but that's more of a personal preference than an actual requirement :)

I'm going to be starting mine once things have settled down a bit for me work wise

I messaged my seller and was informed that yes, in fact Russia is in the middle of their state holiday and he will ship my kit out beginning of next week. Hopefully it won't be long after that I will receive it. Seems like average has been a few weeks from Russia to the states. Giggity giggity!

As for the engine bells, shouldn't be too hard to fix it and I may even run up some Shapeways parts provided the cost wouldn't be too high. I'm guess roughly the same size as my 1/72 scale space shuttle engines?

Bill

Holy moly! Ran across this link over on the Replica Prop Forum....The photos here are unbelievable!!! This must be the ultimate resource photos for the Avenger studio model. If you haven't seen these...enjoy!

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=19630

You can clearly see how the side trenches actually did taper and narrow towards the back. I would imagine that was done to help convey the model as large as possible by using forced perspective. I would think that would make it easier to modify if you want to widen the trenches. Just leave them the same width at the back and gradually widen them as they move forward. No need to modify the engine area.

Bill

Playing a little with some 3D work. Depending on the size of the domes and the how much detail could be printed in that size, these may or may not be feasible. But it's fun. I have some of the basic shapes correct but much of this is based on incomplete information. And some of it is simplified til I find out how detailed it can be. What you guys think so far?

dome%20capture_zpsh0oyz0b2.jpg

Bill

Edited by niart17
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, I finally got my Zvezda Star Destroyer in and man am I happy! This is a really nice and good sized kit. There are a few weak spots that I intend to fix via either creating some Shapeways parts and/or scratch building, but nothing that is too complicated. I'd started with the "domes" as you can see above and I'll revisit that whenever I get time. But the other major part I feel is lacking in the kit are the main engine bells. It's close but not quite right. So I've started with the design work. Pretty simple shapes actually. I do have one question though to get you guys opinions. The prop had large light fixtures fitted inside the bells. The kit maker decided to somewhat copy the ridged detail like on the secondary bells. I am not sure which would be the best way to go, try to replicate the light fixture or just go with how the kit was done? What say ye?

BELLS%20CROPPED_zps7hh8nlyw.jpg

BELLS2%20cropped_zpskrsucdva.jpg

Actual movie prop.

KG_AVENGER_STUDIO_MODEL-005_zpsrloizu2k.

Bill

Bill, some very nice CAD work there. As for your question, personally I would prefer having it without the lighting that way it can be built looking like a nice model without some strange features. If someone wanted to light it I guess they will figure out how to modify your parts. Just my opinion of course. Also, I am interested in your domes if you proceed with those. All this excitement and I don't even have it yet.

My friend just ordered his kit from a Russian seller so I am excited to see it. Will probably get one anyway as my old MPC kit just does not seem big enough anymore :rolleyes: