Just judging from the other Revell SW pricing, I'd bet it's going to be higher as well. I guess it has to do with the licensing agreement? Russia perhaps got a better deal because of economic differences and the fact they aren't distributing "officially" beyond their area. So Lucas/Disney maybe figures at least they can offer Zvezda some rights at a price they can afford, get the sales money from Russian customers and then work a deal through Revell to make bigger profits with a larger reach. Makes business sense I suppose but doesn't make it so nice for us builders. I'm happy with what I paid for mine through E-bay. Free enterprise works. :thumbsup:

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/02/2017 at 2:50 AM, niart17 said:

Well, I finally got my Zvezda Star Destroyer in and man am I happy! This is a really nice and good sized kit. There are a few weak spots that I intend to fix via either creating some Shapeways parts and/or scratch building, but nothing that is too complicated. I'd started with the "domes" as you can see above and I'll revisit that whenever I get time. But the other major part I feel is lacking in the kit are the main engine bells. It's close but not quite right. So I've started with the design work. Pretty simple shapes actually. I do have one question though to get you guys opinions. The prop had large light fixtures fitted inside the bells. The kit maker decided to somewhat copy the ridged detail like on the secondary bells. I am not sure which would be the best way to go, try to replicate the light fixture or just go with how the kit was done? What say ye?

BELLS%20CROPPED_zps7hh8nlyw.jpg

BELLS2%20cropped_zpskrsucdva.jpg

Actual movie prop.

KG_AVENGER_STUDIO_MODEL-005_zpsrloizu2k.

Bill

I would be keen for a set of these bells if you made some. I am still thinking of ways to improve the Zvezda offering as it just doesn't look right. I'm pretty sure it would be easy enough to make the internal ribs go all the way to the edgers but it's complexity is compounded by the odd flatish surfaces where the originals meet.

• 1 month later...

Hey Madhatter. Thanks, Yes, I will have to post the build over here too. It's just become harder to get on this site at work during breaks so I don't frequent here as often. 

BTW, I just got notice from Shapeways that there is an issue with that upgrade set in the printing. I'm working with them now to resolve the problem and hope to have it ready again soon. Sorry if your order happened to get caught in that problem area.

Thanks,

Bill

Yeah, I got an email this morning advising me that the order couldn't be printed for what ever reason. They claim I wasn't going to be charged for it but I have been. I suspect it will reject soon enough. I'm not to fussed as its easy enough to get back if the issue can't be rectified.

Are you able to make a master mould of your one and cast it in resin? 

Mind you, I saw one on RPF that used the kit supplied bells and the last guy cast a really cool shadow towards the back of front rim. It looked very effective even though that wasn't the intention.

I'm in 2 minds about what to do with the bells. Do I go for an AM part like yours or do I try do something myself? Hard choice and it depends on how lazy I'm feeling. I've got plenty of time to think about it :) 

Regards

Simon

The issue should be fixed now and it should be ready for ordering. I am really sorry for the inconvenience. I am pretty sure they have printed some already besides mine but for some reason all of a sudden it wasn't within limits? Not sure what that's all about.

Thanks again for the support and the interest

Bill

• 2 months later...

hi all

I had a package arrive today from Canada with some of the nicest, most non-3D printed looking parts for the Zvezda SD enclosed.

I bought a detail set from a small outfit known here: http://www.falcon3dparts.com/sd_upgrade/

I have to say - this is some of the most beautiful 3D printing I have ever seen. It doesn't look like 3D printing stuff usually does - more like resin

This is an incredible set and well worth the money. Take a peek at the pics I took of it (I am a firm believer of not believing promo shots)

IMG_4699_zpsfvebdsb0.jpg

IMG_4701_zpsotuneilw.jpg

IMG_4704_zps2za3prr3.jpg

IMG_4706_zpsntr8xrag.jpg

IMG_4707_zpsxux7cskb.jpg

IMG_4709_zpsct4v19mf.jpg

IMG_4710_zpszqxt4c1u.jpg

A couple of the small antenna appear to have broken off the shield generators but they will be an easy fix.

All in all, I think this is a great set and well worth getting

MH

MH

Ok those parts look great. I will have to go take a look at the site.

My friend bought the Star Destroyer directly from Russia but i think I will wait until Revell issues it and I can see it locally. Not in a big rush to get it as I am not hurting for kits to build.

Thanks for posting.

Hopefully I'll be able to afford one some time this year. It will need different main battery turrets though. Makes more sense to have the main guns pointed forward then port and starboard. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I see on Starshipmodeler.com that they have listed the Revell/Zvezda Star Destroyer at $108 USD plus shipping. Sounds like a good price since they have reduced it from $135.

I think I am going to wait until it lands at my local hobby shop. Even if it is more expensive I will be paying in CDN dollars and I won't have to ship it from the US.

Edited by skyhawk174
  • 1 year later...

Resurrecting this old topic because a new Star Destroyer kit is coming out - from Bandai!

It's not as big as the Zvezda, or even the Revell kit, at 1/5000 scale and only a little over 12 inches, but coming from Bandai I expect that it will be well made.

Here's a link to the Bandai site:

https://bandai-hobby.net/sw/jp/products/stardestroyer_5000_1.html

12 hours ago, Ken Cartwright said:

Resurrecting this old topic because a new Star Destroyer kit is coming out - from Bandai!

It's not as big as the Zvezda, or even the Revell kit, at 1/5000 scale and only a little over 12 inches, but coming from Bandai I expect that it will be well made.

Here's a link to the Bandai site:

https://bandai-hobby.net/sw/jp/products/stardestroyer_5000_1.html

Yup, they're releasing two different versions, one with lights and one without.  With lights is going to retail for $140, and without will be $80.  A little on the pricey side considering the scale, but the detail should be spectacular.

-David