Just bought an Hasegawa F-15J 1/48 in one of the early boxing (P9 07009) that I would like to build as the 303 Tactical Fighter Squadron "HakuRyu" shown at 2003 TAC Meet (the well known "White Dragon") and I need a few info from Eagles experts.

I have read that this first release is quite a hit and miss around F-15J details and that later release have a new Fuselage sprue but I found nothing more specific about this.

I will add an Aires cockpit: should I look for the early or late version? I have no references of this particular airframe and I think the Aires late version refers to a MSIP cockpit with the small MFD on the left; if this is correct, when does existing Eagles started to be upgraded to MSIP standard?

The now gone Wolfpack detail set for F-15J included a radome with static dischargers and also Hasegawa special edition have them as PE details: are these common for all F-15J?

I will add also Aires burner cans: I have read in an another build that the modeler used the F-15E exhaust for the Revell kit that was a perfect fit on the Hasegawa but he does not explained if it was a better fit than the F-15C exhaust for the Hasegawa or if they just fit well: any opinion?

Is there any other problem with this kit?

From what I remember prior to 1995 the F-15Js have been put through the JASDFs own little up grade program, bringing them up to MISIP standards. This give you the late cockpit as accurate.

the rest of the kit is fairly accurate , you still will have to get the Wolfpack upgrade for the exterior parts like the new radome  and assorted antenae's.

check your references but the kit you are using is old it is usable.

i worked on the J model in 93 so it's been awhile.......

11 hours ago, Brian 1 said:

The only help I can give is that J models have the early cockpit.

Some airplanes got the new cockpit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2Gt9DeKfZE

Dont know if they were updated with MSIP program or MSIP II program.

Just found that Mr Masa Narita used a MSIP instrument panel for his build: http://www.naritafamily.com/howto/F15Jryu/photo_frame.htm

Edited by Andrea Bolla
On 10/9/2016 at 3:10 PM, Andrea Bolla said:

I will add an Aires cockpit: should I look for the early or late version? I have no references of this particular airframe and I think the Aires late version refers to a MSIP cockpit with the small MFD on the left; if this is correct, when does existing Eagles started to be upgraded to MSIP standard?

The MSIP updates were done slowly over the fleet, but it looks like the Kaku Ryu aircraft did have the update (going by the antenna fit under the forward fuselage and under the intakes) so I would use the later cockpit. They also had the later style bumps at the tops of the tails. But I can't see the rear warning radars at the tips under the tails (although my pictures aren't that great).

The now gone Wolfpack detail set for F-15J included a radome with static dischargers and also Hasegawa special edition have them as PE details: are these common for all F-15J?

This started to be updated after 1990 independently of the MSIP, and the Haku Ryu aircraft did have them in 2003.

I did the 1/32 Tamiya J kit with Two Bob's decals for this scheme.  After much internet scouring I decided to build the kit OOB except for the cockpit.  The pictures I found showed the MSIP cockpit (avionics bay repainted white and the new digital display on the lower left side of the instrument panel).  I used a Black Box Cockpit that I modified with an Eduard IP.  The Black Box IP was not that great but the Eduard IP was the early version, so I just shaved off the digital display from the BB IP and added it to the Eduard IP repainted that area.  Tamiya has the antenna for the J version, which I assumed were correct for an early 2000's jet.  By the time I finished getting it all together I didn't care anymore.  I was just happy to have it done!

IMG_0004-1.jpg

IMG_0001-1.jpg