Tamiya 1/48 F-14A Tomcat

I picked up this kit this afternoon. I got the to point you see in the pictures with about an hour's worth of work. This is one of the best fitting models I've ever put together. That it's a Tomcat is even better. Here are some pictures with the Steel Beach Block 125 upgrade on the model.

8996176_orig.jpg

7891260_orig.jpg

7295104_orig.jpg

9106520_orig.jpg

Edited by Darren Roberts
9 minutes ago, AndrewPerren said:

Great going Darren. Assume your update sets will also include the TCS pod as well. 

It will indeed. I'll take a picture of that when I get to it. It will have the base sensor along with the TCS barrel (with clear resin lens), IRST, and bullet fairing. I dropped them off at Sprue Bros. today, so they should be available sometime this week.

Looks absolutely awesome so far! Everybody is telling me to leave this alone because it'll be a perfect Christmas present, but the more photos and in-progress builds I see, I don't think I can wait.

So, do the vertical stabs require any sanding to install those stiffening plates?

6 hours ago, TomcatFanatic123 said:

Looks absolutely awesome so far! Everybody is telling me to leave this alone because it'll be a perfect Christmas present, but the more photos and in-progress builds I see, I don't think I can wait.

So, do the vertical stabs require any sanding to install those stiffening plates?

You just have to sand off the hexagon shaped plates. The resin pieces vary in thickness, so you may need to do some sanding on those to get them as thin as you want. I think under a coat of paint they won't look so proud.

I decided to go with a later jet with the NACA gun vent. It's the Hasegawa piece shoehorned in. The vent on the gun breach bump was carved with an X-Acto blade. The Steel Beach TCS pod was temporarily put on to see how it looked. The final picture is of the intake lip bent up. It looks better to my eyes now. All it took was some gentle pressure.

593103_orig.jpg

5091701_orig.jpg

5153444_orig.jpg

great stuff as usual Darren.

I have found 2 things that I am curious about.

first is the masking stickers on my kit are not pre cut, usually in the past they were. what does your kit have?

second is the panel lines on the rear upper fuselage seem really shallow compared to the rest of the kit. what is your opinion on them?

I'm going to need a lot more shelf space for all the tomcats I am going to build.

5 hours ago, dylan said:

great stuff as usual Darren.

I have found 2 things that I am curious about.

first is the masking stickers on my kit are not pre cut, usually in the past they were. what does your kit have?

second is the panel lines on the rear upper fuselage seem really shallow compared to the rest of the kit. what is your opinion on them?

I'm going to need a lot more shelf space for all the tomcats I am going to build.

Tamiyas msks are not precut in any of their kit.