Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums

Sign in to follow this  
Darren Roberts

Tamiya 1/48 F-14A Tomcat

Recommended Posts

I picked up this kit this afternoon. I got the to point you see in the pictures with about an hour's worth of work. This is one of the best fitting models I've ever put together. That it's a Tomcat is even better. Here are some pictures with the Steel Beach Block 125 upgrade on the model.

 

8996176_orig.jpg

 

7891260_orig.jpg

 

7295104_orig.jpg

 

9106520_orig.jpg

Edited by Darren Roberts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, AndrewPerren said:

Great going Darren. Assume your update sets will also include the TCS pod as well. 

It will indeed. I'll take a picture of that when I get to it. It will have the base sensor along with the TCS barrel (with clear resin lens), IRST, and bullet fairing. I dropped them off at Sprue Bros. today, so they should be available sometime this week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks absolutely awesome so far! Everybody is telling me to leave this alone because it'll be a perfect Christmas present, but the more photos and in-progress builds I see, I don't think I can wait.

So, do the vertical stabs require any sanding to install those stiffening plates?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TomcatFanatic123 said:

Looks absolutely awesome so far! Everybody is telling me to leave this alone because it'll be a perfect Christmas present, but the more photos and in-progress builds I see, I don't think I can wait.

So, do the vertical stabs require any sanding to install those stiffening plates?

You just have to sand off the hexagon shaped plates. The resin pieces vary in thickness, so you may need to do some sanding on those to get them as thin as you want. I think under a coat of paint they won't look so proud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I decided to go with a later jet with the NACA gun vent. It's the Hasegawa piece shoehorned in. The vent on the gun breach bump was carved with an X-Acto blade. The Steel Beach TCS pod was temporarily put on to see how it looked. The final picture is of the intake lip bent up. It looks better to my eyes now. All it took was some gentle pressure.

 

593103_orig.jpg

 

5091701_orig.jpg

 

5153444_orig.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

great stuff as usual Darren.

I have found 2 things that I am curious about.

first is the masking stickers on my kit are not pre cut, usually in the past they were. what does your kit have?

second is the panel lines on the rear upper fuselage seem really shallow compared to the rest of the kit. what is your opinion on them?

 

I'm going to need a lot more shelf space for all the tomcats I am going to build.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dylan said:

great stuff as usual Darren.

I have found 2 things that I am curious about.

first is the masking stickers on my kit are not pre cut, usually in the past they were. what does your kit have?

second is the panel lines on the rear upper fuselage seem really shallow compared to the rest of the kit. what is your opinion on them?

 

I'm going to need a lot more shelf space for all the tomcats I am going to build.

Tamiyas msks are not precut in any of their kit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WOW, that was quick. She looks really good Darren, keep up the great work. Looking forward to the next update.

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not used to seeing "quick" and "Tomcat" used in the same sentence! That's a lightning-fast build. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice work Darren!

 

Throw down some grass seed? I need to go shovel some snow ( a lot of it).!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BEAUTIFUL work so far Darren !! Nice choice of decals too, something different for a change. Looking forward to the next update.

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

90% of the decals are on. The burner cans are in. I used Royale Resin wheels and turned metal alpha probe on the nose.

 

7362100_orig.jpg

 

3341490_orig.jpg

 

9196032_orig.jpg

 

7418513_orig.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...