It's been a month, show off what you've been up to!

So what's been everyone working on since the forums were down? 

I took a trip back home and hit up a storage unit and pulled out this model. It looks a little rough but it's mainly the poor lighting and terrible camera. This Revell 1/72 orbiter is getting the styrene tile/textured cardstock thermal blanket treatment. I've ordered some AMP cockpit windows. She'll also get some resin engines, maybe the Fisher set. I work on her about 1-3 hours a night since the last week of August when I pulled it out of storage, and it's been slow going but I'm trying to get as much of it right as I can.

WP_20161008_09_54_07_Pro_zpsglcsy2eu.jpg

I'll do a full thread once it's actually complete.

Also snagged one of these for the office!

6tag_081016-221955_zpskryc3df3.jpg

I'm doing a group-build with another bud of mine.  We're trying to stay sane as we each work on our own Dragon 1/72 scale Saturn V model...

The instructions are awful, the parts are ill-fitting, detailing is rather lacking but aside from all of that, it's a fine kit!  :rolleyes:

It's been a slow going build, as we try to meet once a week to work on the kits but sometimes life gets in the way.   Looking forward to finishing this one up...

On October 10, 2016 at 11:34 AM, mkjm said:

So what's been everyone working on since the forums were down? 

I took a trip back home and hit up a storage unit and pulled out this model. It looks a little rough but it's mainly the poor lighting and terrible camera. This Revell 1/72 orbiter is getting the styrene tile/textured cardstock thermal blanket treatment. I've ordered some AMP cockpit windows. She'll also get some resin engines, maybe the Fisher set. I work on her about 1-3 hours a night since the last week of August when I pulled it out of storage, and it's been slow going but I'm trying to get as much of it right as I can.

WP_20161008_09_54_07_Pro_zpsglcsy2eu.jpg

I'll do a full thread once it's actually complete.

Also snagged one of these for the office!

6tag_081016-221955_zpskryc3df3.jpg

The Revell Shuttle is looking real nice!  You should do a build thread now that it's in progress.  

On 10/10/2016 at 5:06 PM, FlyAndFight said:

I'm doing a group-build with another bud of mine.  We're trying to stay sane as we each work on our own Dragon 1/72 scale Saturn V model...

The instructions are awful, the parts are ill-fitting, detailing is rather lacking but aside from all of that, it's a fine kit!  :rolleyes:

It's been a slow going build, as we try to meet once a week to work on the kits but sometimes life gets in the way.   Looking forward to finishing this one up...

Had no idea the Dragon 1/72 Saturn was so fussy, I thought that would be one of the better molded kits? That's a shame, but it'll be a massive display at least! I'm content with 1/144 personally.

21 hours ago, crowe-t said:

The Revell Shuttle is looking real nice!  You should do a build thread now that it's in progress.  

Thank you kindly! I don't think she's ready for prime time just yet, but I do plan on doing a build thread very soon - I've taken some pictures as I've been working though so there's some documentation but I want to reach a certain point of completion. Here's a belly shot teaser. 

14141557_10155281829484408_5753697054786

Also, I've since added the Revell 1/144 stack, Revell 1/144 Saturn V, the Hasegawa Voyager to the pile, and pulled out my Hasegawa Egg-series shuttle from storage. I'd like to pick up the Tamiya 1/100 orbiter as well, but haven't committed. I want to finish this 1/72 orbiter first.

Also added to the pile in the last, the 1/35 Italeri 'Fury' Sherman, and few models of the IJN Kongo. Also planning on getting the 1/35 Tamiya MkIV tank for the WWI centennial. I like to mix it up when it comes to models a little.

Edited by mkjm

Wow, those tiles look GREAT! Can't wait to see more of this thing once you post a build. And don't worry about it being "ready for prime time". I'd prefer the "making of" raw footage as opposed to the red carpet premier anyway. Those are all too stuffy with too many paparazzi around to get a good look. So post whatcha got!

Bill 

2 hours ago, mkjm said:

Had no idea the Dragon 1/72 Saturn was so fussy, I thought that would be one of the better molded kits? That's a shame, but it'll be a massive display at least! I'm content with 1/144 personally.

Thank you kindly! I don't think she's ready for prime time just yet, but I do plan on doing a build thread very soon - I've taken some pictures as I've been working though so there's some documentation but I want to reach a certain point of completion. Here's a belly shot teaser. 

14141557_10155281829484408_5753697054786

Also, I've since added the Revell 1/144 stack, Revell 1/144 Saturn V, the Hasegawa Voyager to the pile, and pulled out my Hasegawa Egg-series shuttle from storage. I'd like to pick up the Tamiya 1/100 orbiter as well, but haven't committed. I want to finish this 1/72 orbiter first.

Also added to the pile in the last, the 1/35 Italeri 'Fury' Sherman, and few models of the IJN Kongo. Also planning on getting the 1/35 Tamiya MkIV tank for the WWI centennial. I like to mix it up when it comes to models a little.

I'm with Bill on this.  I prefer the making of stuff.  The build is often the best part.  I like seeing what goes into the build even more than the finished product.

BTW those belly tiles look incredible.  I really like the overall look of a Revell shuttle so I can't wait to see this one progress.

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t

Ah alright guys, you've convinced me! I can't promise she'll look pretty, but expect a build thread tonight (after work) with plenty of pictures :thumbsup:

I'm still plenty interested to see what else everyone's been up to model-wise! Hope that server move didn't kill off the real space section too much!

In the meanwhile, here's a 1/72 X-15 I did a few years ago, pulled from storage. Maybe not completely accurate but it was maybe my first attempt at a serious build. I dusted it off and it's now on display on my shelf.

WP_20160822_15_25_03_Pro_zpskfuylojf.jpg

nah, I don't think it will kill off the real space section. For one, we got Manfred's unbelievably realistic build of his launch tower. That dude is a monster! And plenty of other beautiful shuttle joyfulness to keep the lights on. I have been taking a break from real space and doing a little more Sci-Fi and playing with sculpting, but my shuttle stack is calling to me every time I walk by it. I got stranded at the point of cutting and gluing the textured paper blankets (similar to your process minus the insane belly tiles) but it's just teetering on the edge of heading to completion. So that's why we need YOUR build to keep the ball rolling. No pressure, but the fate of mankind's space travel endeavors rests solely in your hands. Oh wait, you're doing Atlantis, not Endeavour. never mind then. Have a nice day.:thumbsup:

BTW, that X-15 looks great!. Love that plane.

Bill

Edited by niart17

The X-15 is beautiful!

No pressure but we need more real space builds and your Revell shuttle is looking amazing so far!  I'm also taking a break from real space modeling.  I'm currently combining a Polar Lights Ecto-1(1959 Cadillac - white plastic) with a Jo-Han 1964 Cadillac Deville(blue plastic) to make 1964 Cadillac Ambulance.  

It doesn't go into space, but well you asked. :rofl:

Mike.

IMG_7560_zps8fsqxcdi.jpg

IMG_7608_zpsds8mfkti.jpg

IMG_7826_zpsnq6i23vu.jpg 

Nice Ecto-1! I did the Polar Lights Delorean from Back to the Future when that first came out. I'd love another crack at it.

Well, I'm uploading photos now with a new build thread so please have a look and a read whenever you all get a chance whenever I'm done posting it! (Thanks for the votes of confidence)