F-15A Air Superiority, Blue...

Man, that is a Beaut! of an early Eagle. I wish I could have talked to you while we were both in the same room, but I had my hands full telling folks about my scratchbuilt lightsabers..................Oh well. Can I ask a question on your paint? I have seen several different drawings showing the demarcation between the 35450 on top and the 15450 on the bottom. Where did you separate between the two?

19 minutes ago, mikeybudd said:

Man, that is a Beaut! of an early Eagle. I wish I could have talked to you while we were both in the same room, but I had my hands full telling folks about my scratchbuilt lightsabers..................Oh well. Can I ask a question on your paint? I have seen several different drawings showing the demarcation between the 35450 on top and the 15450 on the bottom. Where did you separate between the two?

At the beginning of the post, I have a page posted out of the Air Force tech manual showing what areas are supposed to be 15450. I went by that diagram and along the underside of the forward fuselage (since I could not find a definitive side view) I used the bottom edge of the avionics bay door seam as a general guideline. I didn't actually use gloss paint anywhere, the Gunze Mr. Hobby paint is semi-gloss, so I actually just dull coated the areas that would be 35450 and hit the "gloss" areas with clear semi-gloss lacquer.

According to one of our club members, Jim Rotramel (who provided me the tech drawing and is a long time contributor to the hobby), the reason for the gloss areas was for easier cleaning of the underside.

5 minutes ago, 82Whitey51 said:

At the beginning of the post, I have a page posted out of the Air Force tech manual showing what areas are supposed to be 15450. I went by that diagram and along the underside of the forward fuselage (since I could not find a definitive side view) I used the bottom edge of the avionics bay door seam as a general guideline. I didn't actually use gloss paint anywhere, the Gunze Mr. Hobby paint is semi-gloss, so I actually just dull coated the areas that would be 35450 and hit the "gloss" areas with clear semi-gloss lacquer.

According to one of our club members, Jim Rotramel (who provided me the tech drawing and is a long time contributor to the hobby), the reason for the gloss areas was for easier cleaning of the underside.

Thanks for the quick response. I have seen that diagram before, as well as one that showed the ENTIRE underside done in gloss. I was just curious which way you had gone on this. You've motivated me to pull my old Tamiya kit kit out that I had started to do in ASB and finish it up.

• 3 weeks later...