Academy F-4c tailplane, which one?

Guys, a lot of photos I have seen of Vietnam era F-4c phantoms have them showing the non-slotted tailplanes, yet the Academy instructions tell me to use parts H3 and H4, which are the slotted type. Bothe the slotted and non slotted are in the box, which is correct?

Cheers 

Les

yes, the F-4B got a mod during later upgrades that added the slotted tailplanes, in addition to pinning the innerwing leading edge flaps up in the closed position. Before that, there were three leading edge flaps on F-4s.

I'm only mentioning the LE flap deal so that you don't ever go to the work of drooping the inner pair on a jet with slotted stabs. Younger people call them "inner" and "outer", because they've only ever seen two on each wing. Auld Pharts remember that they were "inner", "middle" and "outer". (and we still called them "middle" after the pinning)

haha, yeah Gene.

Flaps and Slats on the leading edge, Flaps on the rear edge, and slots or no slots out back on the stabs.

(a little poke,,,,,,how many times have you read "mid or late F-4B IR Sensor"??,,,,,or F-4N, F-4C or F-4D for that matter?)

Whatever they are called, too much trouble!

A knock on question - I heard somewhere that the slotted tailplanes are incorrect, in that the slot mounting points are perpendicular to the leading edge, whereas they should be parallel to the aircraft long axis?

Les

Yes, that's one of the number of errors on the Academy stabs. For me the biggest mistake though is the incorrect spacing of the inner and outer parts (natural metal / painted). That's visible even from yards away and bugs be with most built Academy kit I see...

Jeffrey