Zero Dark Thirty

I was watching this movie again last night on Netflix and noticed the license plate on OBL's couriers 4x4 is  IDF 0786.  I wonder why the movie folks picked this combination of letters and numbers?  Is there possibly a deeper meaning with in the CIA etc?  It's a neither here nor there...just a bit amusing and curious.

I went online and found this comment...

The reg number of the white jeep was IDF 0786. IDF is an acronym for Isreali Defence Forces. It is very unlikely for this number plate to be issued in Pakistan.

white jeep.jpg

17 hours ago, beingthehero said:

Hah, that's amusing, really. Now if that was the actual license plate, then the conspiracies would've been flying all over the place for ages.

My guess is that the hollywood folks picked that plate....but why?  There has to be a story there somewhere.  I was actually wondering if there was an Israeli jet with that number that did something special....but a google search turned up nothing.

I doubt very, very much that people in Pakistan even know and recognize IDF as the short name for Israeli Defense Forces. And even if they did, I seriously doubt it would be a reason not to use it in a license plate. 

Pakistan is far, FAR away from Israel. They have their own problems and have more important things to do than petty bickering about what small detail could be tied to Israel. 

Who knows why the number was picked. It looks like it has the right format for a Pakistani license plate. Parts of the movie with urban 'Pakistani" settings are said to be filmed in Chandigarh (India), and the license plate does not look right for an Indian plate. Chances are someone randomly picked it or thought it was somehow funny to pick IDF. The joke is on them, as hardly any Pakistani I know would notice or care that the tag starts with IDF.

Edited by KursadA

Unfortunately whenever Pakistan is depicted in a movie, its either shown as some extension of Middle East or worst case, its represented by Indians. Both of these are biggest contradictions. 

IDF is a combination of letters which shows number plate was issued in Islamabad, the capital of the country. The combination is in serial. Like there would have been IDE, IDD before IDF. Then for each combination of letters, there is a combination of numbers starting from 000 to 9999, I think. 

The way its shown on an Indian Maruti brand jeep is even more ridiculous. The govt issues number plates and they have a set format not some hand painted plate. 

The people in the move are shown in Arabic costumes speaking Arabic. No one in Pakistan speaks Arabic. They can read it but speak their own language. This movie was written with direct input from CIA. Wondering what kind of knowledge CIA has about a particlar country if there are so many factual errors in the move. 

Edited by stalal
1 hour ago, stalal said:

Unfortunately whenever Pakistan is depicted in a movie, its either shown as some extension of Middle East or worst case, its represented by Indians. Both of these are biggest contradictions. 

The people in the move are shown in Arabic costumes speaking Arabic. No one in Pakistan speaks Arabic. They can read it but speak their own language. This movie was written with direct input from CIA. Wondering what kind of knowledge CIA has about a particlar country if there are so many factual errors in the move. 

Yeah, the CIA doesn't have a clue.  

Ever thought that maybe the movie producers just don't care?  For that matter, if the extras had dressed in authentic garb and spoken local dialect, I doubt anyone watching (besides you) would have even noticed.   

1 minute ago, 11bee said:

Yeah, the CIA doesn't have a clue.  

Ever thought that maybe the movie producers just don't care?  For that matter, if the extras had dressed in authentic garb and spoken local dialect, I doubt anyone watching (besides you) would have even noticed.   

Yes...in general....the movie going public is pretty ignorant.

Here's one thing that the movie did that doesn't make sense and is no doubt to hide operational abilities.

While they were watching the house they had a drone flying overhead constantly watching, yet they need stealth chopper for the raid.  Wouldn't the PAF have noticed the drone on radar?  As I say...I'm sure this distorted story line was to conceal operational abilities.

3 minutes ago, SBARC said:

Here's one thing that the movie did that doesn't make sense and is no doubt to hide operational abilities.

While they were watching the house they had a drone flying overhead constantly watching, yet they need stealth chopper for the raid.  Wouldn't the PAF have noticed the drone on radar?  As I say...I'm sure this distorted story line was to conceal operational abilities.

There are wink/nod agreements about drones over Pakistan. 

1 hour ago, stalal said:

CIA would advise about CIA aspects, not the entire movie. The movie makers are not obligated to follow any advice from advisors either. Lastly it's Hollywood. They don't care. I can't emphasize that enough. They don't care

2 hours ago, SBARC said:

Based on a recent tell-all book, they used mostly RQ-170 UAVs to surviel the house.   Stealthy, supposedly untrackable by the Pakis.  

I think much of what happened that night was purposely distorted by the US.  

8 hours ago, SBARC said:

Satellites don't require airspace agreements and are CRAZY good.  That being said, drones are in the air over Pakistani airspace 24/7, so even if they weren't stealth (which they probably were) PAF probably didn't care.

34 minutes ago, crushkill said:

Satellites don't require airspace agreements and are CRAZY good.  That being said, drones are in the air over Pakistani airspace 24/7, so even if they weren't stealth (which they probably were) PAF probably didn't care.

The thought was that since some factions of the Pak military and the ISI have demonstrated loyalties to the bad dudes, a non-stealthy drone like a Predator circling over Abbabbad would have resulted in OBL being tipped off.   Satellites are crazy good but they are non-persistent and their orbits are pretty much public record due to the internet.  

I'd love to see the "Stealthawk" myself.  Would be pretty cool.  That being said, I read one article that implied that the US never used them.  It stated that the US and Pakistani military cut a deal that allowed the SEAL's to simply drive up to the compound and do the job.  The tail of that blown up helo was simply left there as part of a cover story so the Pakistani military wouldn't be seen as complicit with the US.   

2 minutes ago, 11bee said:

The thought was that since some factions of the Pak military and the ISI have demonstrated loyalties to the bad dudes, a non-stealthy drone like a Predator circling over Abbabbad would have resulted in OBL being tipped off.   Satellites are crazy good but they are non-persistent and their orbits are pretty much public record due to the internet.  

I'd love to see the "Stealthawk" myself.  Would be pretty cool.  That being said, I read one article that implied that the US never used them.  It stated that the US and Pakistani military cut a deal that allowed the SEAL's to simply drive up to the compound and do the job.  The tail of that blown up helo was simply left there as part of a cover story so the Pakistani military wouldn't be seen as complicit with the US.   

Yeah, I knew that:bandhead2:

4 hours ago, 11bee said:

I read one article that implied that the US never used them.  It stated that the US and Pakistani military cut a deal that allowed the SEAL's to simply drive up to the compound and do the job.  The tail of that blown up helo was simply left there as part of a cover story so the Pakistani military wouldn't be seen as complicit with the US.   

That is interesting and I wouldn't be surprised if it was true.  This webpage seems to confirm the chopper did indeed crash.

https://storyful.com/stories/3422-did-a-secret-us-stealth-chopper-crash-in-osama-s-compound

On 10/14/2016 at 9:32 AM, hawkwrench said:

I remember reading an article that 160th SOAR crews were rotating out of a base in the west (???) and were learning how to fly this new helicopter.

FWIW

Tim

Edited by strikeeagle801