ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
Flankerman

USS Parche SSN-683 1/350 scale conversion

The latest addition to my collection of 1/350 scale submarines - the USS Parche.

She was a Sturgeon Class sub lengthened by 100ft for 'Special Operations' work....

I cut and joined two Mikro-Mir Sturgeon hulls to get the length and scratch-built the raised decking and rear sonar housing....

350_USS%20Parche%20SSN-683_15.jpg

350_USS%20Parche%20SSN-683_16.jpg

350_USS%20Parche%20SSN-683_17.jpg

350_USS%20Parche%20SSN-683_18.jpg

Details of this 'hush-hush' sub are difficult to find - particularly information about the side thrusters - so there is a lot of guesswork involved.

More photos of the actual build here.

All my submarine collection here.

Ken

nice coversion, and ... wow what a lot of subs...

How are the Mikro Mir sub's in 1/350? their models in 1/35 scale are typical shortrun, but from the pictures it seems their smaller range is better quality

Same as the other kits - shortrun that needs some cleaning up - but their delicate parts are just that - very delicate.

Things like the deck guns on the early subs, diving planes, masts etc - trouble is, the sprue 'feed' leading to a part is sometimes bigger than the part itself - so care is needed when removing.

They are quite prolific though - and they will do a subject if you can provide them with decent drawings - particularly cross-sections.

Ken

Looks really good, Always nice to see someone making model of my old boat.  Though you kinda got the masts and antenna a bit wrong and the scope is not that far back.

I like the detail of the non skid topside.

Thanks for the compliments, Augie - much appreciated.

I still have the Blue Ridge resin kit of USS Halibut to make as a 'Special Ops' boat - to add to the collection.

Ken