Simulating Aluminum Lacquer (USAF 1950's)

Any particular favorite tricks to simulating the dull/boring Aluminum Lacquer used on some USAF birds in the early/mid 50's? In this case, P-51's in the Air National Guard. So far I've heard Testors/MM Aluminum Plate Metalizer with Metalizer Sealer over it produces a paint-like (versus metal-like) finish. Or, Alclad II Aluminum (just plain Aluminum, NOT polished, dark, airframe, etc) without any gloss black undersurfacing. 

Thoughts?

Alclad Dull Aluminum works just fine, and I don't understand " Much more forgiving than the metalizers ".  It is a lacquer. If you use it as a lacquer and don't fool around with a bunch of other products that might or might not be compatible it works.

37 minutes ago, nfiler said:

Alclad Dull Aluminum works just fine, and I don't understand " Much more forgiving than the metalizers ".  It is a lacquer. If you use it as a lacquer and don't fool around with a bunch of other products that might or might not be compatible it works.

I think he was referring to one of the ideas I listed in post 1 which had been suggested to me, namely MM Aluminum plate metalizer with metalizer sealer over it. 

Andrew

I would go with Alclad. To me it seems to go down thinner and smoother than MM meatlizers and I believe you can get away without the protective coat if you take your time with it. I have not used it on a full air frame yet just on test pieces. Wish I had kept them to show you what I mean.

1 hour ago, nfiler said:

I prime with lacquer primer, and thin old silver with lacquer. It's rock hard, and to me, looks like aluminum filled lacquer that was often applied to aircraft. It needs no dull coat, so it removes a step. By forgiving,  I mean you don't need a flawless surface. I can get away with minor scratches not showing in the finish.

Andrew asked for suggestions, so I gave him mine. For bare metal I like alclad, but not for painted silver finishes. You like alclad, great, different strokes for different folks. 

Do a Google Image search for floquil old silver, you'll see lots of good examples.