AC-145B "Mini Spectre" in 1:72 by Aeroplast

The USAF purchased several polish M-28 Skytrucks - designated as C-145A - for light transport and liaison duties. Their robust design and ability to operate from short landing strips madem them ideally suited for support tasks for AFSOC, the Air Force Special Operations Command. To fill the gap between the small, unmanned "Predator"-drones and the big AC-130U "Spectre" gunships when doing fire-support for SOF-missions, the idea of the "Mini-Spectre" was born: Transforming the C-145A into a Gunship, designated as AC-145B.

You will see the building-report of such a model in 1/72.

Ok, so much about my idea. In case you´ve never heard of a AC-145B - well, that´s because it´s an invention of my crazy mind. However, when I googelt for "c-145 afsoc", I got to this page...:https://warisboring.com/the-air-force-tested-a-mini-gunship-last-year-268759ea1348#.avo3boy1t

Looks like there is nothing as crazy that haven´t been tried and tested before... ;)

IMG_6259_zpsc7bjxp7w.jpg

I´m using the M-28 model of Aeroplast. The cockpit itself is OK for a short-run kit.

IMG_6261_zpsjvw0h1ja.jpg

Some decals for the panel would have been nice, but you won´t see them after closing the fuselage.

IMG_6264_zpsik3bqefw.jpg

HAJO

At first I thought I´d do that kit without adding too much of interior details, but then I couldn´t stop putting more effort into it.That´s how it looked at first:

IMG_6273_zpsdinqfjul.jpg

You can see the opeing for the sensor-package. As a reminiscence to the AC-130U-kit by ESCI I will put the sensor from that kit into the opening.

IMG_6278_zpsmwlcplrk.jpg

And the inside of that:

IMG_6277_zpszgj21kkj.jpg

Hopefully I will be able to build all the stuff in a way that it looks like a modular system, that can be put in the bird according to the mission.

The console for the weapons-crew has been patched together using parts from a Revell Seaking. I also added a scratchbuilt ammunition-box.

IMG_6275_zps8rdbpujy.jpg

I hope putting the crew with the console on the starport-side will counter the weight by the sensor, the minigun and it´s ammo on the port-side

HAJO

Added some crew-members:

IMG_6284_zpsvtjvjuev.jpg

Hopefully some details will still be visible when closing up the fuselage:

IMG_6285_zpsdrv0js22.jpg

The gun-mount for the minigun is another reminiscence to a famous Gunship-kit - the AC-47 Spooky-kit by Italeri! The gun itself was scratched using heated sprues.:

IMG_6283_zpsil7bobvh.jpg

The barrels are pretty long, but that should result in the necessary range an accuracy of the gun! :)

IMG_6286_zpskc7qvttb.jpg

HAJO

Woow, quite long wings!

IMG_6287_zps4ankdvbi.jpg

Hopefully the rest of the needed ballast will fit into the radar nose.

IMG_6288_zpsnaplqqet.jpg

The wings, which don´t have the flaps attached yet, remind me of gliders or moder drones. I think this aircraft will have a pretty good range!

IMG_6289_zpsfsv07vby.jpg

HAJO