F-14 Tomcat info needed!!

Hi guys!
I am currently gathering information to rebuild and customize a 1/18 JSI F-14A Tomcat.
i am looking to display it as a US NAVY VX-23 aircraft...
BUT... I would like to depict it as a F-14 B... I have been able to obtain One picture regarding the fact that this unit has been using the -B model.
It is an underbelly inflight picture of a -B with the specific stripes on the rudder and lightning and SD marking on the tail.

I have a strong suspicion about this particular bird at being 163223....

Can anybody help me with this?
thanks guys!

IMG_1861.JPG

Edited by Air one
Photo added

Greetings Air One,

163223 is a Block 150 jet and, she was the prototype for the F-14B Avionics Upgrade. This is possible to do to the JSI Cat because the airframe is already a late A model.

Your gonna need tail stiffeners, GE F110 exhaust nozzles, you'll need to reshape the aft end fuselage fairings as well plus, cockpit mods. Your biggest problem is markings, nobody makes them.

I have both of the JSI Cat's  and am currently converting my poorly finished VF-84 F-14A into a low-viz VF-103 F-14B. My F-14B conversion can be found in the IN-Progress pics forum. Here are some sample pics.

Here are the reshaped aft end fuselage fairings.

IMG_3271_zps219d924b.jpg

Scratchbuilt tail stiffners, reinforcement plate for around the rear boarding step and, a new lens for the TCS pod.

IMG_3196_zps1998af59.jpg

This is where my VF-103 jet is at the moment, all the subassemblies are finished just need to finish the jet.

IMG_4811_zpszdpbnfsv.jpg

This is my display I made for my VF-154 jet.

IMG_5117_zpswyql2ivn.jpg

IMG_5116_zpsi2rdr1ue.jpg

IMG_5118_zps5ppmhpzd.jpg

Good luck with your project, feel free to ask questions and, if you go ahead with this start a WIP thread in the In-Progress pics forum.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thank you very much for your reply!

Since I am in France, I can only rely on photo and book references... so your help is  welcomed!!! Thanks again,

I am already following your build as an instruction sheet!

One thing: can you give the length and diameter of the tailhook? As my kit is second hand it mas missing it and a sidewinder ( but I paid it $165...so...).

The -B exhaust, metal landing gear and pitot are on the way from the US.

Thank you for the info regarding the 163223, it may prove right my hints...

Regarding the markings, they will be painted on ... I have been able to get a 1/18 Fightertown VF-103 sheet from SprueBrothers.

I also have found 1/18 resin driver and RIO...if you want the link...

Your work is inspiring,

Take care!

Erwan

4 hours ago, Air one said:

Hi Steve,

Thank you very much for your reply!

Since I am in France, I can only rely on photo and book references... so your help is  welcomed!!! Thanks again,

I am already following your build as an instruction sheet!

One thing: can you give the length and diameter of the tailhook? As my kit is second hand it mas missing it and a sidewinder ( but I paid it $165...so...).

The -B exhaust, metal landing gear and pitot are on the way from the US.

Thank you for the info regarding the 163223, it may prove right my hints...

Regarding the markings, they will be painted on ... I have been able to get a 1/18 Fightertown VF-103 sheet from SprueBrothers.

I also have found 1/18 resin driver and RIO...if you want the link...

Your work is inspiring,

Take care!

Erwan

Hi Erwan,

The tailhook is 5 1/4" long, and somewhere between a heavy 3/16" to a light 1/4" in diameter. Scratchbuilding that tailhook is gonna be one tough job. Do you know anyone near you who has the kit ? Ask them to borrow the hook, have it scanned and get it 3D printed, that's your best bet.

Fightertown decals only made 1 decal sheet for the 1/18 Cat and it was for a F-14A from Desert Storm.

Thanks but, I already have an aircrew in my Tomcat already. I just sold my resin Pilot and Rio about a month ago, since I had no use for them. Good luck with your rebuild and I am looking forward to seeing your WIP thread.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info!!!!

For the hook no... nobody around...

As you are in the States, if you hear about somebody getting rid of a Lantirn pod...

I'm in to buy it!

Just got the metal main gear, -B exhaust and pitot today.

A bit disappointed with the landing gear...look right but so wrong compared to the real (and not talking about the price)!

Can you tell me two things: 1/ what have you used to fill the the manufacturer name under the wings and 2/what kind of cement have you used to glue the part for the rebuild?

Thanks !

2 hours ago, Air one said:

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info!!!!

For the hook no... nobody around...

As you are in the States, if you hear about somebody getting rid of a Lantirn pod...

I'm in to buy it!

Just got the metal main gear, -B exhaust and pitot today.

A bit disappointed with the landing gear...look right but so wrong compared to the real (and not talking about the price)!

Can you tell me two things: 1/ what have you used to fill the the manufacturer name under the wings and 2/what kind of cement have you used to glue the part for the rebuild?

Thanks !

Parts for these jets are very scarce to find on EBay these days but, I'll keep you in mind.

This is what I used for filling in the name under the wings. Make sure you rough up the area before applying any filler. Auto body filler would work to.

IMG_3860_zps1a306b98.jpg

As for the glue, I use super glue or two part epoxy. I have no idea what type of plastic these things are made of but none of my regular model cements work.

Steve

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:49 AM, A-10 LOADER said:

Greetings Air One,

163223 is a Block 150 jet and, she was the prototype for the F-14B Avionics Upgrade. This is possible to do to the JSI Cat because the airframe is already a late A model.

Your gonna need tail stiffeners, GE F110 exhaust nozzles, you'll need to reshape the aft end fuselage fairings as well plus, cockpit mods. Your biggest problem is markings, nobody makes them.

I have both of the JSI Cat's  and am currently converting my poorly finished VF-84 F-14A into a low-viz VF-103 F-14B. My F-14B conversion can be found in the IN-Progress pics forum. Here are some sample pics.

Here are the reshaped aft end fuselage fairings.

IMG_3271_zps219d924b.jpg

Scratchbuilt tail stiffners, reinforcement plate for around the rear boarding step and, a new lens for the TCS pod.

IMG_3196_zps1998af59.jpg

This is where my VF-103 jet is at the moment, all the subassemblies are finished just need to finish the jet.

IMG_4811_zpszdpbnfsv.jpg

This is my display I made for my VF-154 jet.

IMG_5117_zpswyql2ivn.jpg

IMG_5116_zpsi2rdr1ue.jpg

IMG_5118_zps5ppmhpzd.jpg

Good luck with your project, feel free to ask questions and, if you go ahead with this start a WIP thread in the In-Progress pics forum.

Steve

That's a cool display in your den Steve! As an aside, where can one get 1:1 helmets for display these days? Thanks!

Andy