1/48 Skunk Models F-16XL conversion to family model

Hi gang,

I recently purchased the Skunk Models 1/48 F-16XL from Hong Kong and it's reached the United States and will be in my mailbox in a couple of days.

After reading about the kit some time ago, this one project has kept nagging at me and so I decided to buy it and also get a two-seat conversion.  The conversion set I opted for is the Wingman Models resin set which has an exquisite injection-molded canopy.  I was unfamiliar with this resin-maker but the set looks very nice. 

In the consideration was how to get a two-seater without a lot of expense.  I could have bought an F-16B from Kinetic, I suppose but that would have left me with lots of kit plastic after I had done the surgery to remove the two-seat bits.  Money very wasted there.  Since Skunk has not indicated in any way that they intend to do a two-seater (so far as I can find out), it was incumbent on me to get the needed bits to make it happen. 

One question that I've been asked is if the two-seater ever got an engine upgrade or was just left as the J-79.  I haven't checked photos yet so I dunno. 

Edit:  Looked at photos---two seater has newer engine. 

What's kind of nifty about the Wingman resin is that it's for the Tamiya kit and only includes those things needed to add a second cockpit.  No long cockpit tub; Just a second, rear cockpit. 

I'm sure the two jets are very different in many ways....but I'll tackle that slowly to try to keep it as accurate as possible while not going nanoo-nanoo over it all.  I don't want to get bogged down with minutiae while still being able to, at-a-glance, say, "Hey, cool two-seater!"

Discuss?

Edited by VADM Fangschleister
16 hours ago, Camus272 said:

There are Kinetic F-16A/B kits, so you can use the B parts and still have an A kit left.  That's my plan if an XL B doesn't come out by the time I get to it.

I did not knoes dat.  Well, I have the resin conversion set....may just hold onto that for the Tamiya kit after all.  We'll see.