Hobbyboss SU-27B review

While not a fully detailed review, i can tell you it is a great kit!

I'm currently building one and i love it.

Its a very simple build with no complications. Only draw backs are the seat which should be replaced (I used a wolfpack one) and the rubber tires (Eduard ones for the academy fit).

top_zpsjcu9zndu.jpg

Edited by Pep

Here is a shape comparision between HOBBYBOSS 1/48 J-11B (should be the same shape as their own Su-27B) and the drawings ( http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/su27aiv.html ) . As you can see, the IRST is indeed smaller and there are some problems with the frames of the windshield and canopy.

SU-27%20Hobbyboss_zpse8asdwoy.jpg

You can read more here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234932992-148-sukhoi-su-27-shenyang-j-11-flanker-family-by-hobbyboss-j-11b-su-27-flanker-b-released/&page=2

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235000932-148-su-27-flanker-hobbyboss/&page=1

Happy flankering. 

Edited by keen
On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:48 PM, keen said:

Here is a shape comparision between HOBBYBOSS 1/48 J-11B (should be the same shape as their own Su-27B) and the drawings ( http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/su27aiv.html ) . As you can see, the IRST is indeed smaller and there are some problems with the frames of the windshield and canopy.

You can read more here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234932992-148-sukhoi-su-27-shenyang-j-11-flanker-family-by-hobbyboss-j-11b-su-27-flanker-b-released/&page=2

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235000932-148-su-27-flanker-hobbyboss/&page=1

Happy flankering. 

Hi, keen!

Well, so much for the pictures... :crying2: What's with the frames of the windshield and canopy like? Didn't catch up on that.

Been going through both threads on BM, and now I think I'm more puzzled than I was before... :hmmm: Aren't the HobbyBoss 1/48 Su-27 and J-11 kits exactly the same?

Am I to take it that there's an issue with the shape of the LERX on these kits as well?  :woot.gif:  Something related to the engine nacelles being undersized and the circumference of the exhausts being wrong?

There's even one bloke going about the tail fins being narrow?  

Please clarify.

Thanks. 

Overall shape is very good in my opinion. Also the competitor Academy is really worse. It is significantly shorter, nose is wrong. Details is much worse although the panels lines are ok. Weapons and pylons are bad. I use to spend more money on the aftermarket stuff when I was building Academy flankers. So, if you want a 1/48 Su-27 or J-11 I am strongly on HB side. However, obviously, they are not like Kinetic Su-33 or GWH F-15s. still they are a wast upgrades compared to Academy offering. 

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:48 PM, keen said:

Now that I'm able to see this picture, dunno whether this comparison could be any accurate to judge about the problems on the frames of the windshield and canopy on the Hobby Boss kit, if you care to check the round profile of the kit radome where it joins the forward fuselaje, and then compares it against that on the airwar plans. And that doesn't go without the fact that no-one could ever affirm to vouch for the accuracy of the airwar plans. It's hair-splitting to do so that way.

Now, the IRST does look undersized.  

Would love to see a side by side of this and the Academy kit,
I've read all about the problems with their kit. Especially the size issue.
I have a Academy kit in storage I guess I can finally get rid of.

On 10/14/2016 at 10:55 AM, foxmulder_ms said:

still they are a wast upgrades compared to Academy offering. 

Say Nuclear vessels. :tease:

Hi, The Scaremonger, about the airwar plans, I made a comparison with a real one too.

Even so, I still can't affirm to vouch for that the plans are 100% accurate because deformation is unvoidable when you take a picture.

94dcd8ca7bcb0a4685eba13a6c63f6246a60af93_副本.jpg

Edited by keen
17 hours ago, SinisterVampire319 said:

Would love to see a side by side of this and the Academy kit,
I've read all about the problems with their kit. Especially the size issue.
I have a Academy kit in storage I guess I can finally get rid of.

Not sure whether you are aware of these pictures, courtesy of Adrian Munoz on BM, but the size issue of the Academy kit compared to the Hobby Boss one is quite evident on them.

2015-12-302009.12.42_zpseh8amswe.jpg

2015-12-30%2009.16.26_zpsfjqkl3j6.jpg

2015-12-30%2009.15.35_zps3ga4bvg9.jpg

Also, I still recall there was this bloke from Croatia here on ARC who once added those missing 160mm to the length of the fuselage of the Academy kit and, after he did so, I remember him placing both his lengthened fuselage to a fresh Academy Flanker fuselage, side by side. I refused to build the Academy Flanker as it was, after having watched that difference. It was so appalling.

That the Academy Flanker fuselage is badly undersized is old news. I see no reason to keep comparing the new Hobby Boss Flanker to tthelf Academy.

What would be interesting is to know more regarding the accuracy of the new kit.

What about IRS, windshield, canopy, load,  jet exhausts ? 

Edited by galfa

The shape of the upper fuselage is wrong. Only the  Zvezda 1/72nd scale kit captured this correctly. The height of the vertical stabilizers may not be correct.  In spite of these inaccuracies, from what I've seen, it's a nice kit.

Edited by B.Sin

I think it refers to some photos of my 1/72 scale Zvezda Su-27SM build. that I posted some time ago.

Until the release of this kit, I had always thought that the fuselage in the region of the cockpit transitioned down into the LERX is a simple single concave curve.

The Zvezda Su-26SM kit had a gentle S-shaped curve - which, on careful study - proved to be absolutely spot-on - as seen here....

Zvezda Su-27SM kit....

Su-27SM_50.jpg

Compared to Trumpeter Su-27 kit (and most other Flanker kits)....

Su-27SM_51.jpg

You can see this S-shape on my zoomed-in photo of the real thing....

Su-27SM_49.jpg

It's very subtle - and won't bother those who aren't too anal about accuracy.

I don't know if the HB 1/48 scale Su-27 Flanker-B (not Su-27B btw- there's no such thing) suffers from this concave curve - but I suspect that it does as it seems to be an upsize of the Trumpeter 1/72 scale Flanker.

Happy Flankering.

Ken

21 hours ago, galfa said:

What about IRS, windshield, canopy, load,  jet exhausts ? 

All the issues found in the Su-27 1/72 kits from Trumpeter are found in 48 HB too. They didnt bother fix anything.

Canopy and windshield are oversized on both the 72 and 48 kits of Su-27 from HB/Trumpeter. LERX is wrong not in only the S shape but also, far more crucially imho, its width. It is very narrow and just looks wrong. The wheelbays are still wrong by being angled. I am sure plenty more can be found if one bothers to look.

That being said, atleast they have the main dimensions correct, as far as i know.

8 hours ago, Berkut said:

LERX is wrong not in only the S shape but also, far more crucially imho, its width. It is very narrow and just looks wrong.

Well, that's just in your humble opinion, which doesn't mean it's true, because the width of the LERX on the 1/48 Hobby Boss J-11/Flanker B kit is not wrong in width whatsoever; while it does lack the gentle S-shaped curve that Mr Duffey kindly pointed out.

8 hours ago, Berkut said:

All the issues found in the Su-27 1/72 kits from Trumpeter are found in 48 HB too. They didnt bother fix anything.

Canopy and windshield are oversized on both the 72 and 48 kits of Su-27 from HB/Trumpeter. LERX is wrong not in only the S shape but also, far more crucially imho, its width. It is very narrow and just looks wrong. The wheelbays are still wrong by being angled. I am sure plenty more can be found if one bothers to look.

That being said, atleast they have the main dimensions correct, as far as i know.

Forgive me for asking but do you have 1/48 J-11B or Su-27 from HB? Because the overall size/hump of the winshield+canopy looks very good compared to images or drawings. Now, the windshield/canopy "border" might be slightly wrong, i.e. windshield should have been 1mm or so longer..?? The above image is pretty nice comparison actually.

For the lerxes, are you mixing HB ones with academy or smt? Because, again, academy is really small but HB looks quite ok. 

On 2016/10/18 at 6:43 AM, foxmulder_ms said:

windshield should have been 1mm or so longer..??

The original HB 1/48 J-11B photo used for comparision with drawings comes from Adrian (links are given above), because I haven't got mine at that moment.

So, a clearer photo is taken by myself now, from the angle which is choosen focusing on shape comparision of canopy.

DSC00717_zpsn7f1kejs.png

Well, green lines represent HB (Hobbyboss), red and blue lines represent drawings.

1. The overall hump of windshield and canopy (when they're installed on the upper fuselage) is OK for me.

2. Comparing with red and blue lines, the height of HB is higher, but not that serious as their 1/72 kit (will be showen next).

3. The HB windshield is about 1mm shorter, and canopy is about 1mm longer on both sides.

DSC00717_23_zpsxzgnmcp5.png

Here is a comparision between ZVEZDA 1/72 Su-27SM and Trumpeter 1/72 Su-27.

Comparing with HB 1/48 kit, this is really a disaster. So, I think Trumpeter/HB did some work to improve their CAD model of 1/72 for 1/48 kit, but still not good enough.

original_Kujm_6a4a00001c1d1191_zpsovrhlp

Of course, our plastic model is a 3 dimension thing, just side review is not enough.

So back to 1/48 kit of this topic, I made a comparision from this angle. We all like Flankers in this angle, am I right ?

I've tried my best to take the photo from the same angle of a real Flanker's photo to catch some subtle feelings in 3 dimension.

Not perfect, but I think I can aceppt the 1/48 kit (red mark), because the 1/72 kit (blue mark) is really weird again from this angle.

444_zpsa1zv03x3.png

333_zpsjitrz8zr.png

111_zpsdfluopqr.png

Happy Flankering !

Edited by keen
On 10/16/2016 at 8:36 AM, The Scaremonger said:

Not sure whether you are aware of these pictures, courtesy of Adrian Munoz on BM, but the size issue of the Academy kit compared to the Hobby Boss one is quite evident on them.

Yes! That's what I wanted to see.
Thank you.