Steel Beach Block 125 update available for F-14

The Block 125 update is now available at Sprue Bros, as well as a chin sensor pod. The chin pod set contains the base unit and options for the TCS, IRST, and bullet fairing. It also has a clear resin lens. I'm working on both the original style 7 grill gun vent as well as the NACA vent. Other projects in the works are a LANTIRN update set and a TARPS/Bullwinkle pod. I still can't believe how easily this kit goes together.

1 hour ago, metroman said:

Darren any chance of buying the lens-only, for those of us who already have your chinpod resin meant for other jets?  Just the lens

Good question. Unfortunately it's a totally different unit, so the lens wouldn't work on the old pieces. I'll be discontinuing the old sets shortly. I like the new ones much better.

22 minutes ago, TomcatFanatic123 said:

This update set opens the kit up to any version/time frame of the Alpha model, correct?

I don't think so. You're still missing the NACA vent to do later model as well as the older 7-hole vent and beaver tail to do early model 'Cats.

Mark

7 hours ago, TomcatFanatic123 said:

This update set opens the kit up to any version/time frame of the Alpha model, correct?

Negative, Like I said in my original post the Tamiya kit starts at Block 85, the Tomcat full scale production jets started with Block 60 jets plus, there were the 12 airframes before that that were used in testing. You can also do a early Block 95 jet OOB. Darren's mods take you up to a Block 125 jet. The A's continued to be built in Blocks 130, 135 and, 140.

I am by no means a Tomcat "expert" nor do I claim to be. It's just that in the 3 years I've been working on my 1/18th scale F-14 conversion, I've tried to educate myself on the different jets and their mods so I could make my jet as accurate as possible. I just like to share my knowledge with others who want to learn. If any of my info is incorrect then please someone correct me so I can learn as well.

Again, all the Block number issues are strictly for the "purists" in the group, the guys who want to accurately build a correct Tomcat. If your not a "numbers guy", build whatever you want and put whatever markings you want on her. The bottom line is this is just our hobby and it should be fun and enjoyable.

Steve

Edited by A-10 LOADER
1 hour ago, Matt Walker said:

The B125 set is Out of Stock!!!   Noooooooo!!!

Hope you're working on a new batch Darren!!

:-)

M

That's my job this weekend. They were my fastest selling item I've ever had. I made a couple dozen sets and they sold out in less than a day. 

Edited by Darren Roberts

Using the Tamiya kits...What do i need to build the VF-84 Tomcats from The Final Countdown? The planes from Top Gun? And VF-84 from Desert Storm ? 

Edited by adamitri
33 minutes ago, adamitri said:

Using the Tamiya kits...What do i need to build the VF-84 Tomcats from The Final Countdown? The planes from Top Gun? And VF-84 from Desert Storm ? 

The Tamiya kit is all you need for the Final Countdown and Topgun jets. For VF-84, you'll probably need the Block 125 update with the ECM blisters. The Topgun jets may need the L shaped brackets, but to be honest, they aren't that noticeable. Even on pictures of the real planes it's hard to tell.

11 hours ago, dehowie said:

Nice sets I grabbed a couple.

Will use the stiffeners as templates as they look to heavy in resin for me.

Thanks for the sets Darren

I put mine on, and I'm beginning to come to the same conclusion. I'm going to get with my vinyl guy this week and see if I can scale down my 1/32 brackets. I have 1/48, but they aren't as detailed. If I can get the 1/32 ones scaled down, they should give a nice representation. Geoff is coming out with PE brackets, but even those may still be too thick if they are layered.

1 hour ago, tomthegrom said:

I am just wondering if you are going to to the ECM bumps that are on the outboard edge of the intake upper lips if you know what I mean, A+/B and late A's had them.

That's the plan. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Rudder braces were not a block item. They were a full fleet mod, beginning in 1977. You'd have to know which jet got them when. Apparently a few jets made it through 1981 with the old version as in the kit. Standard wheels also started in the fleet in 1977. I know of no jet post 1981/2 that had the old braces and old wheels. The Tamiya kit represents a Tomcat late 1975 up until 1977 fleet wide. 77-82 would be a jet by jet reference issue. Nothing past early 80s can be done OOB if these details are of necessity to you. One nice thing is that Tamiya did include 2 tall Tacan antennas and those did make the F-14A fleet for ODS. To get past late 70s and in the rare early 80s jets, you will need:

-rudder braces

-standard wheels

-TCS

Starting with the Blk 110:

-ECM bumps on boat tail, and above intakes

late 1991/early 92:

-Naca vents (came after ODS)

-tall Tacan (added for ODS jets first)

1997ish:

-ALR 45 and nose ECM suite like the B/D

-Lantirn mod

Post 1991 you will need

We should have a pinned thingy on this. I've posted the info 4 times now, Darren's covered it at least 5 times and several other people have done the same. If you have a picture of the jet you're building, or decal profiles, these things should be pretty easy to cover.

-brian

10 minutes ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

Rudder braces were not a block item. They were a full fleet mod, beginning in 1977. You'd have to know which jet got them when. Apparently a few jets made it through 1981 with the old version as in the kit. Standard wheels also started in the fleet in 1977. I know of no jet post 1981/2 that had the old braces and old wheels. The Tamiya kit represents a Tomcat late 1975 up until 1977 fleet wide. 77-82 would be a jet by jet reference issue. Nothing past early 80s can be done OOB if these details are of necessity to you. One nice thing is that Tamiya did include 2 tall Tacan antennas and those did make the F-14A fleet for ODS. To get past late 70s and in the rare early 80s jets, you will need:

-rudder braces

-standard wheels

-TCS

late 1991/early 92:

1997ish:

-Lantirn mod

Post 1991 you will need

We should have a pinned thingy on this. I've posted the info 4 times now, Darren's covered it at least 5 times and several other people have done the same. If you have a picture of the jet you're building, or decal profiles, these things should be pretty easy to cover.

-brian

GREAT info. That sums things up nicely, Brian. Thanks! And I agree...this should be pinned somewhere.

Edited by TomcatFanatic123
13 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

-rudder braces

-standard wheels

-TCS

late 1991/early 92:

1997ish:

-Lantirn mod

Post 1991 you will need

-brian

Please pin this!!!!!!!!!!!