Rubber tires.

Any tips on painting/finishing rubber tires included in kits?

I'm working on the Hobby Boss Su=27 and the tires unfortunately are rubber not plastic. Any tips on how to tackle them?

I would use pastel powder on them to tone them down. Grey and a bit of brown for the sides and grey on the outside. Experiment... If you don't like it, you can wash them and start over.

Cheers

Paul

• 1 month later...

I can't say for sure this will work but perhaps dull coat the tires and then paint accordingly. This works with the waxy type of plastic (think the little green plastic army soldiers) the 1/72 Airfix military figures are made of. The dull coat seems to adhere to the waxy plastic and the paint to it to make a good bond. It might work similarly with your rubber tires as well. 

i've seen vinyl tracks go stupid in the long run when painted with solvent based chemicals (they obviously don't get along well), tho i have no idea if that would also apply to rubber too - someone will chime in hopefully.