ARC Facebook Group is created

Fear not not guys.....it is there for people that want it.  I like it as a redundant option if the discussion server is offline.

Plus I can post the daily models on ARC Air and maybe even get some compliments for the modelers featured on the ARC homepage.

2 hours ago, Tracy White said:

And thus began the decline of another web forum.

Sadly...shutting the forum down for 1 month and not having this FB page was not good for the forum.  I'm hoping the FB page will add to ARC.  My goal is to give folks a tiny ARC fix on FB and hopefully they will wander over to the ARC website and forums.

On 10/14/2016 at 5:11 PM, SBARC said:

Sadly...shutting the forum down for 1 month and not having this FB page was not good for the forum.  I'm hoping the FB page will add to ARC.  My goal is to give folks a tiny ARC fix on FB and hopefully they will wander over to the ARC website and forums.

In my experience it works the other way. People join the Facebook group, and then why would they want to join the web forum and have to create that second login, etc. Over time the owner enjoys not having to work the infrastructure as much, and then something happens to the forum and they realize that 90% of their people are on Facebook and it's easier to let the old forum go.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a criticism, just a lament.

4 minutes ago, Tracy White said:

In my experience it works the other way. People join the Facebook group, and then why would they want to join the web forum and have to create that second login, etc. Over time the owner enjoys not having to work the infrastructure as much, and then something happens to the forum and they realize that 90% of their people are on Facebook and it's easier to let the old forum go.

This is a very valid issue.  What  forum(s) did this happen to?

I've resisted creating a Facebook forum since Facebook started for many reasons.

Now I can't view the ARC Facebook page unless I join Facebook??? :bandhead2:

Am I being forced to create a Zactomodels Facebook page? :suspicious:

:dontknow:

7 hours ago, Tracy White said:

You may be right, but that's just progress. When I first went online, it was all about newsgroups - Rec.Models.Scale and others. But 2000-2001 the forums were appearing (like ARC) and people were shifting to them. Once that was done people rarely looked at RMS any more, and it became a tumbleweed wasteland. Some people lamented it, but it was just progress - the forums were more focused, more useful, easier to use and better for recording ongoing threads. 

And then in 2004-5 social media first appeared, but really it's taken a good few years for them to gain traction as a focal point for people's online modelling exploits. But, again, that's progress. Nowadays I use few forums and infrequently. Social media (and let's be clear here - when we say "social media" these days, for things like modelling it largely means facebook!) has become my main source of online modelling involvement. Nearly every large manufacturer has a facebook presence for keeping up to date with what's going on, as do  many traders and the like. That's progress. I don't have a problem with it, Communities shift and adapt.

Are fora dead? Far from it, but really, social media is in the ascendant. Whether you like it or not, that's the reality. Add in mobile apps that are easy to use over trying to view web-based fora on a mobile browser, and there's no competition. Adapt or die.

I have joined the Facebook ARC page, but have yet to use it, see how it goes. Being down for a month HAS had an impact on this forum, and the new software every major has upgraded to in recent months is really not very good in my personal opinion, plenty of changes, not much progress.

In due course something will be along to usurp social media, of this I have no doubt . What form that takes I cannot begin to think, but it will happen, and people will lament the death of social media. So it goes. Circle of life and all that.

Edited by Dmanton300

Never been on FB and never will. I have enough distractions thanks. But hey if its your bag then have at it! Just remember this is where ARC is...

Cheers!

2 hours ago, sabre45 said:

Sorry no FB for me. Very bad privecy statements.

25 minutes ago, Don said:

Never been on FB and never will. I have enough distractions thanks. But hey if its your bag then have at it! Just remember this is where ARC is...

Cheers!

Yup....the forums aren't going anywhere.  The main goal of the FB presence is to make sure ARC is represented in all online mediums. 

Facebook is good for a few photos and a quick comment, but if you want real substance in a conversation then a forum is still better and if you want an in-depth article, then a website still beats Facebook hands down.  Facebook is very good at video as well.

It's all about catering to the readership and evolving.  To be honest.....ARC is VERY late to the party on this FB Group, but the last 5 years have been quite distracting for me in my personal life, but all that seems to be settling down now.