Academy AH-1W nts cobra

On 24/10/2016 at 6:17 AM, salvador001 said:

Oh man, you are doing one FINE job, i love it.

Keep it on!

Rod.

Thanks Rod! Ive hit abit of a modelling rut but should hopefully be back on it soon

Zak

Hi chaps. More work on the belly. Aerials are from the spares box, added x2 aber hex nuts on nose 
DSC_0548.jpg

Remade all of the steps as kit ones are to short

DSC_0544.jpg

DSC_0546.jpg

Kit aerial was reshaped and attached with epoxy glue. Additional inspection panels added to the boom

DSC_0545.jpg

Attached skids but removed them shortly afterwards as the didn't sit correctly. Think they'll need rebuilding from scratch....bugger

DSC_0540.jpg

Cheers folks
Zak

35 minutes ago, salvador001 said:

Wow. Where did you get the photoetch from? Is it eduard? 

Looking great.

Rod.

Thanks Rod. the vast majority of the brass on the belly i made from brass shim ( the rectangular and circular panels). a few parts are from the eduard exterior set but they have chopped up and reshaped as the eduard set is incorrect in some areas

Zak

• 2 weeks later...

Hey chaps hope all are well.
Not much to show at the minute. Much of my modelling time has been spent on rebuilding a few elements (3-4 times...) The nts unit is being scratched again as my first (or 5th...who knows) effort was quite abit out, same with the skids.

Also have a few goodies on order as well which will hopefully add a few nice touches to the finished kit but I'll reveal those at a later date.

Added extratech PE washers to the belly drainage pipes, pipes made from aluminium tubing

DSC_0571.jpg

DSC_0572.jpg

Detailed the nose drainage pipes with telescoped aluminium tube 

DSC_0573.jpg

Built the m197 cannon. This took a good couple of hours mainly to get it lined up correctly but well worth the effort when completed. Really need to grow another pair of hands....

DSC_0576.jpg

Found some spare eduard PE hinges which look much better than before

DSC_0577.jpg

More soon folks, thanks for looking and commenting guys!
Zak 

58 minutes ago, salvador001 said:

Looking so damn fine, wonderful job. Are you going to use the fireball ALQ-144 jammer? The one this kit brings is not that good.

Rod.

Thank Rod. Yes I'm using the fireball ALQ, it's pretty darn nice. 

Zak

On 18/11/2016 at 5:26 PM, usmcski6502 said:

No doubt, by the time you're done you're going to have the most accurate Whiskey out there.  Watching with great interest, keep up the good work!  I used to work on 'em, so if you need any ref pics, let me know.

Semper,

Ski

Thanks for the kind words dude, really appreciate it, hope I can continue to do it justice! R.e ref pics, I'm still undecided on what scheme I want, I'm thinking I may get some custom made mask/decals so any ref pics of whiskeys serial numbers, markings etc that you've worked on would go towards helping me decide. Also any pics of the main rotor would be good, specifically the blade tips as I think the academy kits blades are incorrectly shaped

Cheers

Zak

• 1 month later...

Hi folks
Just a small update, lost my mojo over the Xmas period so slow progress. 

The nts unit..... Version 15 or 16 who knows... It's starting to resemble the real deal now,  pics are a little crappy but hopefully you can see the adjustments I've made. Also sourced some mirror paper (the same stuff used on two way mirrors) to use on the left side camera glass, will post pics shortly. 

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

Began riveting the tail and boom, looks a little messy at the minute as I'm using humbrol's decal fix. This leaves a gluey residue but has a much stronger bond than microfix/sol. I'm using a two different sizes of archers rivets and Micromarks rivets for the larger rivets. 
Also scratched the tie down thing on the centre of the boom

DSC_0597_1.jpg

More soon
Zak

On 12/01/2017 at 2:58 PM, salvador001 said:

Hey Zak, that looks tremendously awesome. Love all the detail you are adding. The rivets looks great. What are the size of rivets you are using?

Thanks.

Rod.

Thanks rod. The archers rivets- I used some from their 'n' scale and some from the 0.4mm sheet. The microscale rivets are larger but don't have a specific scale. 

On 12/01/2017 at 8:33 PM, Chhuey said:

This looks impresive great!

What do you use to make the rivets?

The rivets are all water slide decals from microscale and archers, good products,  check them out