Hasegawa 1/48th F-4E "Mig Killer"

Ok all you jet jockies this is something new for me. Haven't built a jet before and want to build a Phantom for the Nats next year. I want to build Ritchie / DeBellevue dual mig killer on 7-8-1972. I will have lots of stupid questions and need help getting this done to the best of my ability. Here is what I have so far.

001_zpsfrfovbq2.jpg

002_zpsa3ndukuy.jpg

003_zpssigdq8az.jpg

Here we go. Any hints or tips or warnings on the Rhino seamless intakes? I will also be looking for markings. Any decal sheets available for the Ritchie aircraft? Loadout for the aircraft on 7-8-1972? 
Like I said any help would be appreciated. If you see something I am doing wrong or missing please speak up. No hurt feelings here.
Thanks for looking,
Jim Root

OK I got the intakes fitted and it went pretty smooth. Has anyone used these Rhino intakes on there Phantom? Do you cut the front of the splitter plate off and install it after paint? How far up the intake was the camouflage taken? On to see about getting the Aires interior fitted next.

004_zpslk8fxmlw.jpg

006_zps6gngnqmr.jpg

005_zpslh5iqueh.jpg

Thanks for the link Aigore. You built a nice Phantom there. The intakes on your build were Dmold. The front of the splitter is separate on yours were the Rhino intakes are one full length piece. I'm thinking of cutting mine off so they can be installed later after paint. 

Thanks again

Jim Root

Not much bench time here lately. Between work and the Cubs I haven't done much modeling. Off work tomorrow so that will change. Anyway while doing research on the load out for this bird I have come across a need for this build. I'm not sure what is out there for ECM pods. It looks like I need a AN/ALQ-71 for the right inboard pylon and a AN/ALQ-101 for the left inboard pylon. My question is what is out there in 1/48th for these? Any and all help is appreciated.

Jim Root

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally got some bench time and got some more work done on the Phantom. I am doing my best to get the Aires cockpit and nose wheel well fitted in the fuselage. I got to much out for the instrument panel coming so that will have to be fixed but it shouldn't be that big a deal. Really close to being completely fitted now. Any hints, tips, comments or complainants please speak up. Thanks for looking.
Jim Root

20161026_170603_resized_zpshmowzvs7.jpg

20161028_095224-1_resized_zpsiesrcybp.jp

20161028_095241-1_resized_zps9tqxpm6a.jp

Those Aires pits are fun, right. :whistle:

The Revell/Monogram F-4C/D kit comes with the AN/ALQ-101 pod that you could use. It also has a AN/ALQ-87 in it, but sadly no -71. Not sure where to find one either.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Those Aires pits are fun, right. :whistle:

The Revell/Monogram F-4C/D kit comes with the AN/ALQ-101 pod that you could use. It also has a AN/ALQ-87 in it, but sadly no -71. Not sure where to find one either.

Thanks for the information Pete. Yes the Aires stuff is so much fun! LOL! 😀

Anybody have a Monogram AN/ALQ-101 pod they would like to part with? I am looking for one now.

Jim Root

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2016 at 1:33 PM, Mister Mustang said:

Hi Jim,

The green went this far into the intake.....

Image%203_zpssmviyu5j.jpg

Actually the exterior colors extended into the intakes various distances depending on the individual Phantom, who painted it, when and most likely some other factors. Some Phantoms were painted as Robin Olds' jet was in your photo. Many other Phantoms had the exterior colors painted three feet back into the duct. Here's a site that has a photo of Richie painting the kill marks on 67-0362 just after his successful sortie. It appears to me the green goes much further into the duct than your photo of Olds' jet:

https://martycavato.smugmug.com/Military/Udorn-Thailand-1971-72/i-hB6tZk2/A

I'm betting 67-0362 had the exterior colors three feet into the duct. 

Edited by avnav
Typos
On 10/14/2016 at 9:32 AM, Beaconroot said:

.(snip) I want to build Ritchie / DeBellevue dual mig killer on 7-8-1972. I will have lots of stupid questions and need help getting this done to the best of my ability.

(snip)  Any decal sheets available for the Ritchie aircraft? Loadout for the aircraft on 7-8-1972? 

Like I said any help would be appreciated. If you see something I am doing wrong or missing please speak up. No hurt feelings here.
Thanks for looking,
Jim Root

MicroScale had the markings many, many years ago. You can probably scrounge the wing and squadron markings from Eglin F-15 decals. 

As for the weapons load, 67-0362 on that day for sure launched out with AIM-9Es, AIM-7E-2s, a 600 gallon centerline and 370 gallon wing tanks. It was also carrying two ECM pods on the inboard pylons, but I'm no expert on Vietnam-era pods so I can't tell you what types they are. 

Here's a photo of Ritchie shutting down after that sortie:

https://martycavato.smugmug.com/Military/Udorn-Thailand-1971-72/i-K7mvnRh/A

Notice the extended sway braces on the centerline, which shows there had been a tank installed when they launched that day. You can also see the tank's umbilical connector. 

In this next photo of all of the jets in the de-arm area, you can see Ritchie's jet to the far right of thd photo. All of the others still have their AIM-7E-2s but Ritchie appears to have expended most of his:

https://martycavato.smugmug.com/Military/Udorn-Thailand-1971-72/i-nvn8525/A

And going back to the photo of Ritchie painting the kill mark, you can make out an AIM-7E-2 still loaded in the right rear missile well:

Edited by avnav
Added details, corrected typos

Awesome subject!

I have this jet with a lot of aftermarket goodies in my stash. 

I was born on the 8th of July 1972...

Until Marty Cavatos pics surfaced, there were very few pics available of 67-362.

They fired 3 Sparrows in the engagement, so there should be one left.

I have Fox One Decals 48-024 that covers this aircraft. Perhaps you can find it on ebay?

Keep up the great work!

Jorgen "Troll" Toll

:trolls:

Edited by Troll
8 hours ago, Troll said:

Awesome subject!

I have this jet with a lot of aftermarket goodies in my stash. 

I was born on the 8th of July 1972...

Until Marty Cavatos pics surfaced, there were very few pics available of 67-362.

They fired 3 Sparrows in the engagement, so there should be one left.

I have Fox One Decals 48-024 that covers this aircraft. Perhaps you can find it on ebay?

Keep up the great work!

Jorgen "Troll" Toll

:trolls:

I have saved all those pics as there are a god send to helping me build this thing. The Fox One sheets are like finding hens teeth. Never had any luck finding them and when I do they are way more money than I am willing to spend. Thanks for the encouragement. I need it!

Jim Root

19 hours ago, avnav said:

Actually the exterior colors extended into the intakes various distances depending on the individual Phantom, who painted it, when and most likely some other factors. Some Phantoms were painted as Robin Olds' jet was in your photo. Many other Phantoms had the exterior colors painted three feet back into the duct. Here's a site that has a photo of Richie painting the kill marks on 67-0362 just after his successful sortie. It appears to me the green goes much further into the duct than your photo of Olds' jet:

I'm betting 67-0362 had the exterior colors three feet into the duct. 

A question for you if you know. Is the duct painted 3 foot back on both sides or just the fuselage side? The green on Ritchie's Phantom sure does appear to go further back than the Old's photo shows. Just curious if it is that way on both sides of the duct or just the fuselage side. Thank you for your time and help on this subject.

Jim Root

5 hours ago, Beaconroot said:

A question for you if you know. Is the duct painted 3 foot back on both sides or just the fuselage side? The green on Ritchie's Phantom sure does appear to go further back than the Old's photo shows. Just curious if it is that way on both sides of the duct or just the fuselage side. Thank you for your time and help on this subject.

Jim Root

Based on many photos I've seen and on the F-4Cs and Es I worked on in the 1980s, the green (left side) and tan (right side) went inside the duct three feet exactly as the gray did in on the F-4F in the photo Aigore linked to above:

Mvc-0049.jpg

17 hours ago, avnav said:

Based on many photos I've seen and on the F-4Cs and Es I worked on in the 1980s, the green (left side) and tan (right side) went inside the duct three feet exactly as the gray did in on the F-4F in the photo Aigore linked to above:

Mvc-0049.jpg

That's good enough for me. Thank you for the pic.