Hasegawa 1/48th F-4E "Mig Killer"

8 hours ago, avnav said:

I thought the photos on Marty Cavato's site were pretty clear. At the time, no.

I know slats were rare, if at all, in SEA. But this pic made me wonder. There's a shadow on the outer wing on -362 that could look like a slat, but it's probably just the sawtooth..?

https://martycavato.smugmug.com/Military/Udorn-Thailand-1971-72/i-BJKSkx6/A

2 hours ago, Troll said:

I know slats were rare, if at all, in SEA. But this pic made me wonder. There's a shadow on the outer wing on -362 that could look like a slat, but it's probably just the sawtooth..?

https://martycavato.smugmug.com/Military/Udorn-Thailand-1971-72/i-BJKSkx6/A

The following photo clearly shows no inboard slat actuators, and the leading edge flap panel line between Ritchie's and DeBellevue's heads wraps around well under the wing, which the slat panel line doesn't do. The inboard slat has a panel line parallel to the wing leading edge, which is slightly aft underneath the leading edge of the wing. That panel line is rather prominent with the slats retracted, you would see it if it were there in the photo below.  Also this was a 1967 fiscal year jet in July 1972; slat conversions to non-slatted jets didn't start happening until late 1972 (69-7254 was first to be converted and didn't make its first flight with slats until September 28, 1972 per one reference I have). So for sure 67-0362 wasn't slatted for this sortie. 

https://martycavato.smugmug.com/Military/Udorn-Thailand-1971-72/i-kqnV4rC/A

On November 13, 2016 at 11:34 PM, avnav said:

MicroScale had the markings many, many years ago. You can probably scrounge the wing and squadron markings from Eglin F-15 decals. 

As for the weapons load, 67-0362 on that day for sure launched out with AIM-9Es, AIM-7E-2s, a 600 gallon centerline and 370 gallon wing tanks. It was also carrying two ECM pods on the inboard pylons, but I'm no expert on Vietnam-era pods so I can't tell you what types they are. 

Here's a photo of Ritchie shutting down after that sortie:

https://martycavato.smugmug.com/Military/Udorn-Thailand-1971-72/i-K7mvnRh/A

Notice the extended sway braces on the centerline, which shows there had been a tank installed when they launched that day. You can also see the tank's umbilical connector. 

In this next photo of all of the jets in the de-arm area, you can see Ritchie's jet to the far right of thd photo. All of the others still have their AIM-7E-2s but Ritchie appears to have expended most of his:

https://martycavato.smugmug.com/Military/Udorn-Thailand-1971-72/i-nvn8525/A

And going back to the photo of Ritchie painting the kill mark, you can make out an AIM-7E-2 still loaded in the right rear missile well:

https://martycavato.smugmug.com/Military/Udorn-Thailand-1971-72/i-hB6tZk2/A

Thanks for posting those pics!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 3:32 PM, Beaconroot said:

I will also be looking for markings. Any decal sheets available for the Ritchie aircraft? Loadout for the aircraft on 7-8-1972? 

Jim,

Write me at fwernerjr@comcast.net.  I can help you on this build as far as the armament goes. As I intend to do this aircraft someday soon I have good news for you. 

I wasn't going to say anything but Werner's Wings is doing its first F-4 sheet.  It will have ALL of the markings that were on Steve Ritchie's aircraft from the aircraft before his first kill to the last markings that we can document in Vietnam.  If you can wait for it I can send you a free set for a review of the decals.  We will also include some aircraft that a friend's father flew in Vietnam and maybe England.  I don't have a release date yet, but the decals are coming together and are almost done.

If you are interested let me know. 

Floyd

46 minutes ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

Jim,

Write me at fwernerjr@comcast.net.  I can help you on this build as far as the armament goes. As I intend to do this aircraft someday soon I have good news for you. 

I wasn't going to say anything but Werner's Wings is doing its first F-4 sheet.  It will have ALL of the markings that were on Steve Ritchie's aircraft from the aircraft before his first kill to the last markings that we can document in Vietnam.  If you can wait for it I can send you a free set for a review of the decals.  We will also include some aircraft that a friend's father flew in Vietnam and maybe England.  I don't have a release date yet, but the decals are coming together and are almost done.

Floyd

Good news this, is it just for the E?

I'm working on his D and don't mind waiting for a few  weeks......any timescale?

2 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

Good news this, is it just for the E?

I'm working on his D and don't mind waiting for a few  weeks......any timescale?

It will include his D and E aircraft.  It will have every aircraft that he scored victories in and every variation of markings that we could find as long as the aircraft were in Vietnam.  A time line would be approximately three months.  It takes time to get the decals from the Czech Republic.  The artwork is almost done. 

Floyd

10 hours ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

Jim,

Floyd

Holy cow great news Floyd! I'll contact you soon. Thanks!

Jim Root

On 1/2/2017 at 9:08 AM, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

Jim,

Floyd

BONKERS! Floyd is stepping outta his norm and starting with F-4's! This is truly a miracle indeed lol! That's pretty cool to hear Floyd, I'll definitely be buying a sheet. 

12 hours ago, Whiskey said:

BONKERS! Floyd is stepping outta his norm and starting with F-4's! This is truly a miracle indeed lol! That's pretty cool to hear Floyd, I'll definitely be buying a sheet. 

Yeppers.  Just to see if it will sell.  If it does we'll see what other kind of things we can get into.  I have lots of aircraft that I like so you never know.

Floyd