F-15C 1:48 G.W.H. 53rd FS/ 52nd FW

My first painting stage is the color of the avionic bays. Despite I almost entirely switched to acrylics 15 years ago, I prefer the trusty old Xtracolor X159 to match the proper metallic green shade of the F-15 interior. During airbrushing, the smell of this paint reminds me back to the 80s, when Xtracolor was my premier brand of choice. It sprayed nicely and a few hours later, I gave it a coat of AK Intermediate Gauzy Agent to protect the fragile Xtracolor finish for a slight washing with dark brown umbra oil color in the corners. Later, a coat of clear satin Ammo of MIG was misted to reduce the glossy effect.
Afterwards, the small details were painted with Xtracrylix light grey. The pin washing arroud the small screw heads are done by a mixture of Xtracrylix Black with Revell Aqua Color Clean. This mixture works nicely on a satin surface and the result is a slightly feathered effect, reminiscent to one with thinned oil colors. Acrylic colors or washes thinned with water or acrylic thinners are resulting in hard edged borders, which I don´t like really.

DSCN0813.jpg

DSCN0812.jpg

Edited by falcon91352

First part painted in the cockpit section was the left side of Bay 5 with all those ICMS boxes. The segments were airbrushed with Xtracrylix RAF Black and mixes with Black and Grey tones. Enhanced detail painting was conducted with mixed Windsor & Newton oil colours and acrylic paints from Agama and Xtracrylix mixed with Lifecolor Acrylic Thinner and AK Drying Retarder.

DSCN0769.jpg

DSCN0771.jpg

The right cockpit sidewall also is painted now. The color of the cockpit tub and sidewall on the real F-15C normally is FS36231. I have used a mixture of Agama Acrylics consisting of 4 parts FS36231 and 1 part FS36320. To add volume, the recessed parts of the sidewall are painted in a darker shade of grey. The borderlines are threatenend with highly diluted Black acrylic color to add contrast. After a light coat of Ammo of MIG Clear Satin (I love this stuff!!!), I did a pin wash around all the tiny details with Xtracrylix RAF Black diluted with Revell Aqua Color Clean. Be careful to use this mixture sparsely on the brush, because the Aqua Clean bites into the acrylic undersurface, if too much of it is loaded. For this, I use a 000 brush and after absorption of the mixture, I am wiping off the brush one or two times on a piece of a newspaper. If used properly, nice effects are the result! Afterwards, I did some higlihts in the middle of the patterns with highly thinned Xtracrylix FS36622. This time, I used Lifecolor Acrylic Thinner and a high quality No. 0 brush. While painting with this mixture, the surface only is slightly touched by the tip of the brush. My experience are best with brushes from the French Rafael brand, or Windsor & Newton No. 7, which are not cheap actually, but lasting a long time.

DSCN0775_1.jpg