F-15C 1:48 G.W.H. 53rd FS/ 52nd FW

Hello gentlemen

I´ve got a serious cold last week and due to this my morale was somewhat limited to work on my F-15C. But I almost finished the first avionics bay behind the radome. I was asked, why I didn´t opted for a open radome to show the radar. My answer is simple: I don´t like opened radomes! In my opinion, this would destroy the look of a fighter aircraft. Opened panels also does harm the aesthetic lines of a fighter, but not that much, the character still retained.

However, I improved my photographic device. All my previous pictures were done by a simple Nikon Coolpix camera. Now, I got a macro lens for my Nikon DSLR cameras, the Nikkor 60mm 1:2.8G ED. I mounted this to my trusty old D300 and I am impressed by the results, but as nobody is perfect, I have still to try a bit to get best results. For now, here is the first picture of the almost finished avionics bay:

DSC_8319.jpg

On 7.11.2016 at 2:35 AM, crackerjazz said:

Amazing stuff!   I didn't know solder came in 0.2mm size -- this is great!   Mind if I ask how you do those yellow signs with tiny lettering?  

The solder is coming from Edsyn an the ordering no. is SSAC2010. But beware, it´s not that cheap!

The tiny lettering on the signs is done with oil colours on the pointy tip of a 000 brush (Windsor & Newton No. 7 and Rafael are the best). Preferably, put a small amount of the oil colour on a piece of cardboard for 30-60 minutes, which will detract some thinner from the paint and making it more dry to improve the control of fine stencilling.

20 hours ago, shan said:

wow, fantastic work

Initially, I thought that your Tornado picture shows a real aircraft on a ramp somwhere in the Deasert Storm theatre. But it´s a model actually, isn´t it? If so, nice work!

Edited by falcon91352
3 hours ago, falcon91352 said:

Initially, I thought that your Tornado picture shows a real aircraft on a ramp somwhere in the Deasert Storm theatre. But it´s a model actually, isn´t it? If so, nice work!

ha ha, i superimposed the pic of my model ( Revelle) onto a desert strom pic, but the original pic is a mirror image.

i inserted part of this photograph

22.gif

cant wait to see your model completed, sure is gonna be exiting!!

19 hours ago, shan said:

ha ha, i superimposed the pic of my model ( Revelle) onto a desert strom pic, but the original pic is a mirror image.

i inserted part of this photograph

22.gif

cant wait to see your model completed, sure is gonna be exiting!!

Nicely done!

After the second big step (avionic bays and the cockpit) probably is done next weekend, I am now thinking about the next one. My plan is to open some panels on the top of the wings and fuselage as well, mostly on the left side since I wish to show the right side almost unclattered. Accordingly, the ailerons and flaps should be released more or less like it is shown on pictures in Jake Melampy´s reference book.

But I am plagued by a moral issue concerning this matter. To my understanding, the underwing pylons with the LAU-114 and/ or -128 missile lauchers had to be removed, when maintenance work on the jet is to be carried on. I want to build my model with the pylons and missile launchers mounted. To my opinion, these absolutely are belonging to the distinctive look of an F-15 Eagle. My question is, do I break any rule or principle of F-15 maintennance, when I build my model with those pylons and launchers fitted under the wing AND showing the openend panels on the top of the fuselage and wings? The destined hatches for opening are marked on the picture.

May be a F-15 expert, or F-15C maintainer or pilot can be of help.

DSC_8375.jpg

Edited by falcon91352

Wow, incredible work there, I've been watching your progress and I'm just floored by the amount of detail you have in this kit, and it's 1/48, simply amazing. I started this kit kit last week and I hope it turns out half as good as yours

jeff

Christian, you're right that ordnance is removed prior to a jet going into the hangar for maintenance, and the panels you have indicated that you wish to open on the top of the jet are only done so during phase or other fairly heavy maintenance, which is nearly always only done inside the hangar.  To be 100% accurate, you probably don't want to put ordnance on this model.

However, this is a model, and a fantastic one at that.  If you want to put ordnance on it, go right ahead.  Do whatever way you like the best.  I'm just happy you're sharing your incredible talents with the rest of us.

Jake

I am stunned Christian. That avionic bay is a masterpiece and huge inspiration for my future builds! I also feel your mixed emotions for the opening hatches vs. ordnance suspended on the aircraft undergoing a maintenance. I'm sure you will come up with something. Keep charging!

Btw, do you make it according to reference photos or not? You and a couple of other builds with open bay doors along the nose inspired me to do the same thing in my F-15E model. I have only a few reference photos though, and would be nice if you share some, if any, refs with the real plane. Tu!