F-15C 1:48 G.W.H. 53rd FS/ 52nd FW

• 3 weeks later...

Due to real life issues I couldn´t get time to post more pictures earlier. My apologies for this! The build progress wasn´t quick either.

Shown here is the aileron actuator of the left wing. A couple of small details will be added later to avoid damage or loss.

DSC_3374.jpg

Details on top fuselage, like heat exchangers, etc. are shown here. The perforated metal plates are also painted added by some signs of wear and tear. More of this will follow after the painting stages of the model.

DSC_3406.jpg

Part of the Environmental Control System (ECS), which is explained in Jake Melampy´s excellent book, the No. 1 reference for my model. I just vrealized, that I have lost a detail in this area, which I have to reconstruct. Again some more odd additional work!

DSC_3396.jpg

The flap actuator on the right wing.

Next step will be the rebuild of the lost detail and mating of the top and lower wing halves. Besides, I fell in love with a big scale Dassault delta from Italeri, on which I started some refinig and detailing of the fuselage. Without doubt, the F-15 is my current main project, but will work on the delta from time to time for relaxing.

DSC_3385.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Close uo picture of the left side rear fuselage. Here, a bit of putty was necessary. I tested the Ammo of MIG white one shot primer, which works very well. It sprays beautifully, isn´t smelling and after 24 hrs. drying time, it shows an excellent sanding performance. Adhesion is very good, it even withstands dymo tape, which I use as a ruler for riveting purposes. The label indicates, that Ammo of MIG one shot primer is made in USA. Is ist may relabeled Stylerynez? I don´t know this stuff, but reviews show the same performance I ncountered, which lets me to the assumption, that it is may be the same stuff. It´s really highly recommended!

DSC_8531_01.jpg

Edited by falcon91352

One of the areas, which are deserving some rework is the omission of the position lights. GWH represented them only as a panel line on solid grey plastic. For a realistic look, I want to portray those with clear plastic, which will be painted later with Tamiya Clear Red.

DSC_8532.jpg

Why not save a step and just use some red acrylic. Here are my 1/18th scale Tomcat tails with the lights replaced using some red acrylic chunks from an old tooth brush. Sanded and polished up they look the part.

Steve

IMG_3359_zps7c6bbaab.jpg

IMG_3365_zpsde5dc8a0.jpg

IMG_3366_zps6d279d09.jpg

• 1 month later...

I want to sxcuse for posting no updates during the last two months. Real life events prvented me to do so, but in a short time, the progress will gto ahead. Stay tuned!

Thank you very much to all for the nice comments and hints and tips, which all is very encouraging!

Shown here is the seam of the upper and lower wing halves, which are causing a bit of rework. Mediams used are Tamiya Putty, Ammo of MIG one shot primer and Mr. Surfacer 500. the panel lines are carefully rescribed with a pointy needle and piece of Dymo Tape as a ruler.

DSC_8533.jpg

One of the difficult to handle areas of the kit is the gun muzzle area, which is quite problematric due to the horzontal split of the fuselage halves. The seam line is going straight horizontally through the gun area, what makes it difficult to putty and sand. I decided to remove this part from the fuselage, which makes handling and reworking much, much easier.

poMtfDAxj

Edited by falcon91352