F-15C 1:48 G.W.H. 53rd FS/ 52nd FW

On 20.11.2017 at 11:16 PM, Mr Matt Foley said:

Looking great. Now 2 questions for you since I'm late to the party.

What photoetch set did you use? 

You're doing a Mod-Eagle scheme correct?

I wish GWH would do another run of their F-15C kits, I can readily find the Delta kit in the states, but looks like I would have to go to EBay for the Charlie.

PE sets in use are Eduard 48832, 49274 and 49709.

I am going to do the Mod-Eagle scheme, correct. Paints are from Xtracrylix, which are spot on.

Thanks guys for your nice comments, which does support me in continuing purposefully.

The Eagle now has been painted in FS36251 Medium Grey. I am using Xtracrylix paints for the Mod-Eagle scheme which are very accurate. The Xtracrylix paints are known as having somewhat iffy properties during airbrushing. During my preparations for a workshop at the SMC at Eindhoven in October, I did many experiments and trial runs with different modelling acrylic paints and thinners and found out some surprising results. More on this at a later stage here, when fine line airbrushing is demanded for an accurate representation of smooth transitions between the colours, which is done free-hand at best.

pmM3ckS4j

The camouflage pattern on the tail is predefined by a mask from Kabuki tape, which is cheaply available in DIY warehouses here in Germany. The masking means not, that I will do hard edges with the camouflage, which I really don´t  like, when the original planes actually shows smooth transitions between the colours. The only reason of masking is to save time.

The process ofairbrushing of camouflage schemes can be somewhat tricky and time consuming, due to the constant check of the pattern with references, then continuing with airbrushing, checking again, etc.. You also can draw the scheme with a pencil, but I prefer the masking method. It is mandatory to spray only a misty coat of paint along the edges to avoid a build up of paint there, which would result in a hideous step. The mask should be removed early and the pattern alreday is clearly discernable. The airbrushing work now is continoued with free hand airbrushing along the colour border to the centre of the pattern.

pnwAhC7bj

Here are the ingredients used for the airbrush session:

Airbrush of choice: Harder & Steenbeck Infinity CR 0,2mm needle

Colours: Xtracrylix XA1132 FS16251 Medium Grey and XA1157 FS16176 Dk. Grey Mod. Eagle

Thinners: MRP MRP-AT Acrylic Thinner, Mr. Color Leveling Thinner, Tamiya Lacquer Thinner

The thinning process is very essential. At first a few drops of paint are given in a small glass jar. Then a few drops of MRP-AT are added, which is stirred well. Then Mr. Leveling Thinner comes in addition until the mixture has the consistency of milk and again,  it is thoroughly stirred. A few drops of Tamiya Lacquer Thinner can be added as well, which gives the mixture a better bite into the plastic for improved adhesion.

This mixtures provides excellent coverage, good adhesion and the tendency of clogging the needle tip of the airbrsuh is minimal. Xtracrylix paints are often criticized for the feared clogging effect. Anybody who has some dusty Xtracrylix jars standing in the rear corner of the modelling room should trying out this and probably, you will be amazed how nice the results will be!

pmCAFZPLj

1 hour ago, falcon91352 said:

Here are the ingredients used for the airbrush session:

Airbrush of choice: Harder & Steenbeck Infinity CR 0,2mm needle

Colours: Xtracrylix XA1132 FS16251 Medium Grey and XA1157 FS16176 Dk. Grey Mod. Eagle

Thinners: MRP MRP-AT Acrylic Thinner, Mr. Color Leveling Thinner, Tamiya Lacquer Thinner

The thinning process is very essential. At first a few drops of paint are given in a small glass jar. Then a few drops of MRP-AT are added, which is stirred well. Then Mr. Leveling Thinner comes in addition until the mixture has the consistency of milk and again,  it is thoroughly stirred. A few drops of Tamiya Lacquer Thinner can be added as well, which gives the mixture a better bite into the plastic for improved adhesion.

This mixtures provides excellent coverage, good adhesion and the tendency of clogging the needle tip of the airbrsuh is minimal. Xtracrylix paints are often criticized for the feared clogging effect. Anybody who has some dusty Xtracrylix jars standing in the rear corner of the modelling room should trying out this and probably, you will be amazed how nice the results will be!

Very interesting "concoction" you created. I do have Xtracrylix on hand including the Mod-Eagle colors and will give this a try. Although I have tried to switch to Mr. Color almost exclusively, I still have a large collection of water based colors on hand as well.

Christian your building is a REAL  Modeling , well shown in the work and your airbrush, maybe I myself will someday buy the same...
Since we all take note of some moments of our buildings, please add more step-by-step photos that will be useful to all modelers in the World...

I wish you a lot of crazy construction projects !

Vitaliy

3 hours ago, TTomcaTT said:

Christian your building is a REAL  Modeling , well shown in the work and your airbrush, maybe I myself will someday buy the same...
Since we all take note of some moments of our buildings, please add more step-by-step photos that will be useful to all modelers in the World...

I wish you a lot of crazy construction projects !

Vitaliy

Hello Vitaly

Thank you very much for your reply. I try to add more step-by-step photos in the future, but I must confess that I sometimes forget about during the building process, when I am feeling myself always in a state of trance  :rolleyes:

Here, I have compiled some step-by-step photographs and informations about the previously described painting method. At Britmodelle, I recently did the same.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/20/2018 at 9:15 AM, Iceman8241 said:

Christian is a-ok. He's just too busy to update this thread, but he plans to do it soon as he told me a couple of days ago. Stay tuned.

Thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to his return.

• 2 years later...