So far it's a Tamiya kit, nothing else need be said. :)

Zimmerit is via milliput and screwdriver, pattern and directions are iaw the instruction and ref sheet Tamiya is providing. In hindsight Tamiya's own Zimmerit coating set for this particular model should be easier imho because milliput is time consuming due to the intricate details on the surfaces and i'm not sure if it's going to be a cheaper option in the end due to the waste... Alas i have started with milliput so this one will have to finish with it.

5ixpg8Ol.jpg

WJ7DTNll.jpg

R7w5ez4l.jpg

One of my favorite subjects! I am using the Tamiya zimmerit on their King Tiger and my days of milliput are over. Its just so easy to use the Tamiya zimmerit as its tailor made obviously for their kits. I look forward to following your progress.

Cheers!

Don i wholeheartedly agree with you, going the milliput way was a MISTAKE on my part!

@anybody who's willing to build this one, please get the zimmerit set along with it and save yourself grief. Eventho i have the a-37b dragonfly build going on for the strike aircraft GB on arc, i can say with confidence that i kicked the elefant to backburner due to the zimmerit trouble.. :(

Now why wouldn't Tamiya mold them on already is another subject in itself of course, but it is what it is these days.

Edited by murad

why they don't mold it on... let's say the first thing people will say is...

- I want my zimmerit damaged, how to do that when it's molded on... however it will be more easy then making your own zimmerit.

- I want it to look like it's handapplied with faults and so on...

I tend to like the Attack zimmerit too... but it's resin...

4 hours ago, Silenoz said:

why they don't mold it on... let's say the first thing people will say is...

- I want my zimmerit damaged, how to do that when it's molded on... however it will be more easy then making your own zimmerit.

- I want it to look like it's handapplied with faults and so on...

I tend to like the Attack zimmerit too... but it's resin...

All reasonable of course. But my counter argument would be that <to my knowledge> all of these production Elefants came outta factory with zimmerit already applied. Not trying to start an arguement here, mind you, what you wrote are perfectly valid reasons to me too.

Anyway here's the fella, tamiya white primer > tamiya titanium silver. i did not bother with any prior painting techniques due to nature of the 3 tone camo, i'm planning on doing post shading instead. Zimmerit is handmade with milliput - i don't want to see anymore milliput for a long time!

aYuTYOul.jpg

u6VkUBgl.jpg

1 hour ago, Silenoz said:

it's nicely applied, and the effort was well worth it..

Why the titanium silver as an underlying coat?

when the paint consistency is right, when i lower the air pressure to the min. possible for the airbrush (badger 175 with Med. head and needle) to produce anything, instead of focusing the paint, it's splattered all over the place. now why would i want this? because i like the base color to be grainy, i don't like a singular surface like the olden days of enamel finishes, and the underlying paint, titanium silver in this case, helps with the graininess (is that even a word?), hopefully :D Seriously i've tried it many times before, any metallic color will do - i just had that particular color on the bench already so i didn't want to reach for another one. :) 

Work continued with the camo in the past days as much as the weather is permitting. All tamiya colors, dark yellow, field gray and red brown. Finally post the decals tamiya semi gloss clear and now off we go to weathering. Btw i have made some dry / caked mud inside the wheel wells with tile grout, not sure how much of it’s going to be visible – hopefully they won’t interfere with the tracks in the very end.

29971762583_6da24b6bae_c.jpgelefant by Mu Radd, on Flickr

29971760443_c6ee0cfe37_c.jpgelefant by Mu Radd, on Flickr

29973728724_45f0b780e7_c.jpgelefant by Mu Radd, on Flickr

29971757803_b50d3eb1a4_c.jpgelefant by Mu Radd, on Flickr

29973725654_f215a9bb74_c.jpgelefant by Mu Radd, on Flickr

29971755703_353289f4c5_c.jpgelefant by Mu Radd, on Flickr