RAF Typhoon post

Hi gents,

First post on the new forum so it's a bit of a test for photo attachments.  I haven't made many recently because I've not being able to get out with the camera. Did a run yesterday though to take advantage of some nice Autumn light here in the UK. If you want to get some close aviation images then for action there's not really a better place in the UK than RAF Coningsby, home to the Southern half of the UK's Typhoon force. As expected it was a little quiet as one of the frontline units is away and the Evaluation unit is doing it's usual late in the year trip to the US on weapons trials. That still left the conversion unit and one frontline unit.

One rather bad move from a photographers point of view is the new policy of removing unit markings from operationally deployable jets, which means that virtually all the Tranche 2 single seater Typhoon FGR4's at both Coningsby and Lossiemouth are now just coded, and some don't even have that. Only the early Tranche 1 two seaters and a few single seaters remain marked up, as well as and specials that are about.  

IMG_9703_zpsdjinh8cx.jpg

IMG_9774_zpsqq18miig.jpg

IMG_9772_zpsyjotpqk6.jpg

IMG_9802_zpsjqqbbl4t.jpg

IMG_9857_zpsv7dma3kn.jpg

RAF Tutor on the overshoot behind heading back to Cranwell.

IMG_7787_zps13hmcvvn.jpg

Laid back driver.

IMG_9917_zps06y6gwea.jpg

IMG_7844_zpszp0t8sif.jpg

The jets may have lost all the markings, but the drivers are still friendly!

IMG_7750_zps55sfoory.jpg

IMG_9979_zpsjo5wlelj.jpg

IMG_0033_zpsebsbsfpi.jpg

IMG_0175_zpsx5ptc7gf.jpg

IMG_0097_zpsu5vuzwxo.jpg

IMG_0214_zps6lkd1aoa.jpg

IMG_0074_zpsdyrig5cf.jpg

IMG_0058_zps3nc1jpdq.jpg

Change of position for the afternoon, moving round to the South with the Sun.

IMG_0310_zpsrtc8zohs.jpg

Well they used to have a 'birdman', maybe that's been axed as well. Certainly weren't no sign of him  yesterday.

IMG_0292_zpstjvp4wis.jpg

IMG_0566_zpsqox1yyrh.jpg

IMG_0575_zpshkpjqik6.jpg

IMG_0356_zps7lh0uqw6.jpg

IMG_0469_zpsbadozat6.jpg

IMG_0534_zps0kc69r9d.jpg

IMG_0491_zpsgcr7bkjh.jpg

Finally, I saw a nice sunset building so charged back up the approach end, knowing there was a flight still out, and hoping it would line up.

IMG_0622_zpsa0j086ed.jpg

IMG_0668_zpsdbvzuxxg.jpg

IMG_0663_zpszpq2jmfi.jpg

IMG_0647_zpsh78xcq1y.jpg

Edit: After posting I notice these are being resized down from their original 1024x683 too 1004x670 and are losing their sharpness. Is there a way of altering the viewer settings to prevent this as I remember it happening once on the old forum a long time ago and there was a way to fix it?

Gary

Edited by gary1701

Thanks guys and Hi John. I hope they're similar, I was standing right beside him when he took them! I was actually down the other end in the unofficial carpark and was about to call it a day and make the three hour trip home when it suddenly dawned on me that the sun was coming out of the bottom of the clouds as the final flight called up inbound. I knew at this time of year it pretty much sets directly on the centreline so I dashed from one end to the other, pulled into the empty layby and saw a small van pulled onto the roadside further up. I dashed up the side of the road (ladder in tow!) to get directly inline and he was already there with exactly the same idea. It was a bit of a rush camera set up and unfortunately a couple of the overshoots were high but didn't do too bad.

First time back up there since the Indian Flankers came in July last year.

Gary 

Edited by gary1701