M1A2 Abrams TUSK I - Meng 1/35

3 hours ago, 11bee said:

I'd suggest using moderation in this area.  

I've seen some models with multiple different tones of ERA, to the point that they almost look checkerboarded.  While I do admit that on some tracks, there were a few blocks painted green, the vast majority of these were standard Sand color.  Also, if you are modeling a specific M1, at a specific time, I'd check references.   The supplemental, curved anti-EFP armor panels were seen much less commonly than the standard ERA bricks. 

I'll be doing this one:

http://www.bhmpics.com/walls/brown_m1a2_abrams_tank-wide.jpg

As you can see, on this photo and many other online, ERA blocks were cleaner than most people think. My plan is to make it bit more dirty than photo, but nothing too much as "spanish school" does

Edited by VedranJ
Correction

Smaller parts finished. Contrast on photos is boosted, to see weathering better.
One rope and cabel are for grenade launchers.
IMG_6830_zpslwy8ypvw.jpg

Thicker antenna (EPLRS) is painted in olive.
IMG_6834_zpswzmjw3wt.jpg

This two shields will be in "down" position, because figure would be to "closed".
IMG_6835_zpswt3xee5w.jpg

IMG_6836_zpsu2pew4fi.jpg

IMG_6837_zpsfmlcuxbl.jpg

IMG_6838_zpsnqvvzsne.jpg

This hatch will be closed, as model doesn't have interior, and commander goes on turret in standing position:
IMG_6839_zpsh1e981mc.jpg

IMG_6840_zpsjybvjakk.jpg

IMG_6841_zpsrgqjtjdt.jpg

IMG_6843_zps3tzgfcd7.jpg

IMG_6844_zpsmlfmqdwm.jpg

IMG_6845_zps2gai8xey.jpg

IMG_6846_zpsgkmwgesw.jpg

IMG_6847_zpssjxigdkd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Turret is not finished yet, bu stuff the is missing will come after complete assembly. I am currently working on tracks and wooden base, so you can expect photos in next few days.
There is one problem, very tight fit between hull and turret which makes it difficult to turn around.

IMG_7213_zpszgsuvd3i.jpg

IMG_7214_zpsimaildhk.jpg

IMG_7215_zpsl1xohymm.jpg

IMG_7216_zpsae7wimvn.jpg

IMG_7217_zps370obbko.jpg

IMG_7218_zpssumxzobw.jpg

IMG_7219_zpsws6hxd4q.jpg

IMG_7220_zpsswt8ss0k.jpg

IMG_7221_zpsxnputcje.jpg

IMG_7222_zps82a5uoce.jpg

IMG_7223_zpskehouhus.jpg

IMG_7224_zpsnijsagjp.jpg

IMG_7225_zpsge5q50cx.jpg

IMG_7227_zps6qnwmobd.jpg

IMG_7228_zpsx40kdb5i.jpg

12 hours ago, dnl42 said:

How did you do the optics? I've got an MQ-8B sensor that I haven't been able to get quite right...

That yellowish circle is piece of holographic golden foil from gift wrap, something simiral to this :

http://www.drogeria-vmd.com/imgcache/5/2/p77159-vyr-32531hvez_285_285_28516.jpg

Rounded green square is piece of iridescent transparent vinyl foil from Ebay.

It looks similar to this, it is transparent pink, but reflects green color:

http://www.cdhm.org/tutorials/images/fairywings/fullsize/fantasyfilmwingstutoria07.jpg

Both parts are glued from inside using non-agresive glue.

So very inspired with your build. It's one thing to simply cut the parts from the sprues, clean them up, paint, and assemble. It's another to see the incredible attention to detail you have given to every piece of plastic on this kit. If anything, you've shown beautiful restraint compared to others I have seen lately. A builder from our local group did the same kit, minus some of the details and he really did a great job...except for one thing- he completely over did the weathering. Luckily he acknowledged it! You have really knocked it out of the park. I look forward to seeing it with the figs. Stunning job and thank you for sharing.  

• 3 months later...
20 hours ago, 11bee said:

Any update on the crew?  I really like those Miniart crewmembers but I haven't seen anyone actually build / paint them.   

That is because the Mini Art Modern US tank crew sets have not been released yet.

2 hours ago, HeavyArty said:

That is because the Mini Art Modern US tank crew sets have not been released yet.

LOL, well that would explain it.   I saw this kit announced quite a while ago, assumed it had been released by now.....