I would have started this thread earlier but was put in check by the forum outage.  Part of me doesn't even want to bother.  Anyone else feel that the NFL is getting stale?  From what I've read, ratings are down sharply this year and I actually have to admit that I'm one of those folks tuning out football.  Starting to feel that the entire organization is just a scam.  Started with week one, listing to all the hype about protecting the players from concussions and then watching Cam Newton get knocked senseless and allowed to remain in the game by the medical "experts".   Since then, he's taken numerous more head shots and (finally) was taken out for a bit.   Wonder if we'll read about him in 15 years coming to an unfortunate end like so many other players have?   Beyond that, most of the games have sucked.  I can't recall more than 1-2 really good ones this season.  It seems that there are only 2-3 decent teams this year (NE, Denver, and maybe (surprisingly enough) Dallas.  The rest of the league, even those teams with decent records, appears to suck.   Most of the prime time games have involved garbage teams (this week's Monday Night Football was a good example), the few decent games have been tainted by cheap shots, bad calls or just 25-30 penalties.  Shouldn't take close to 4 hrs to watch a football game Mr. Goodell, getting tired of spending a good percentage of the game watching refs in conference or huddling over the replay monitor. 

The other part of it seems to be a lack of decent QB talent.  Most people tune in to watch a good QB in action.  Aside from Brady and Ben, most of the QB's who last year were considered elite have pretty much crapped their pants this season.  Newton, Manning, Luck, Stafford, Rogers, etc have been horrible.  The only decent QB's out there (aside from Brady of course) are a couple of 2nd stringers who got thrown into the mix.  Weren't Luck, Stafford, RGIII, Kapernick, etc supposed to be the future of the league?

Anyway, that's my take on this season.  I'll still be watching to see how NE does.  Thought this week against the Steelers was going to be a test but with Ben out, maybe not so much.  Playing in Denver will be interesting, same against SEA.  Aside from that, the rest of the season looks to be about as exciting as a Tampa Bay vrs Chicago game.  Used to watch every Sunday Night, Monday Night and Thursday Night game.  Not so much anymore.  Maybe I can finally get caught up on some model building.   

Go Pats....

13 hours ago, 11bee said:

Aside from Brady and Ben, most of the QB's who last year were considered elite have pretty much crapped their pants this season.  Newton, Manning, Luck, Stafford, Rogers, etc have been horrible.  The only decent QB's out there (aside from Brady of course) are a couple of 2nd stringers who got thrown into the mix.  Weren't Luck, Stafford, RGIII, Kapernick, etc supposed to be the future of the league?

Holy cow good point

I used to be interested in NFL much more in the past, not so much nowadays. I guess the election this year is hitting the NFL ratings pretty badly, but even outside of that I'm losing interest.  I still watch the Steelers games when I can, but no more Sunday night, Monday night football for me. 

I'm still waiting soccer to pick up here and become on par with the Champions Leauge. When that day comes, I'll say bye to NFL, MLB, NHL fo sho.

2 hours ago, boom175 said:

Too many penalties and TV timeouts.

This ^^^. I was a longtime season ticket holder and loved going to the games. Raining, snowing, damp fall evening, or a warm sunny early November afternoon it didn't matter. We built up some pretty good friendships with fellow season ticket holders over the years. It was fun! But two years ago I remember sitting there watching flag after flag drop over and over again because the hit(s) sounded bad and seemed to scare the ref(s) into calling something lest they incur the wrath of the media and League head office for not protecting the players (the hits were fine... good clean solid hard hits). Added to the make-believe penalty slow downs the endless and lengthy commercial breaks as well as the inevitable replays and I turned to my wife and said "this is terrible football and I am not finding this fun anymore for what its costing us".  We talked about it and at the end of the season decided that it wasn't worth the money anymore. So, after 15 or so years as a season ticket holder we never renewed. The team didn't care either as nobody ever called us or contacted us to ask why we never renewed. I wasn't overly surprised by that though. But, I haven't watched a complete game since...heck I haven't watched a complete half a game since. I couldn't  care less about the NFL anymore nor who is winning, losing, cheating, or other wise. 

http://deadspin.com/this-has-been-the-worst-season-in-nfl-history-1672165851

Warning NSFW language. Sums up the problems from 2 season ago, most of which has not changed. To add to what Don and Boom have said it comes done to putting out an inferior product, that is not cheap. The hits and penalties are right up there with Speeding tickets at NASCAR. physicality is a part of the game, just like speed is a part of racing. Take that away, the game changes and people leave/pay less for it.

I think its multiple problems but thats the most glaring. Kapernick being stupid doesn't help. I get that its his right to protest, and its other peoples right to quit tuning in when that happens, especailly when the NFL has had no issue using Red White and Blue to make money. NFL viewers are very patriotic, advertisers and the NFL have noticed and plan accordingly. a back up QB pissing that group off was probably pretty short sighted, and I hope he finds himself "continuing the struggle" with his Vegan Girlfriend and their millions of dollars. But another twist is, its taking away form the "escape" of football. I really don't want to be reminded of BLM, politics, Racism, AND domestic violence every commercial break. I just want to watch a game for a few hours. Thats why its called entertainment and not activism. 

The "well that was fun" moment  was still the Monday Night Game between the Ravens and Steelers which is the best contest in football becoming a flag fest. The point was to put everyone on notice. the game was an example of the ideal. Flags for every hit, in a match that was notoriously and celebrated to be violent. Those games were the best and the NFL "Fixed them" I don't really watch football anymore. 3 or 4 years ago I was an addict. Would not miss a game, sunday ticket, recordings you name it. Now I'm cruising on my phone before the 1st quarter if i try to watch at all. 

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

This Monday night one of the ESPN commentators actually complained on the air about the crazy number of flags (at one point, 3 plays in a row had false start flags)  and wondered aloud about whether this was one reason ratings were down.  I'm sure Goodell blew a gasket on that one.   

Never been a fan of the overly commercialized NFL. I'll watch the Browns games and maybe another game if it's a decent matchup or there's just nothing else on. But I don't have the slightest amount of passion for it as college football.  In 20 years the NFL will be a completely different entity. 

13 minutes ago, Bigasshammm said:

...In 20 years the NFL will be a completely different entity. 

Yep. I'd say far sooner though. Heck its just one step away from no contact flag football now anyways because heaven forbid someone gets legally hit hard in contact football...

Part of it has to do with market over-saturation and crappy matchups.  In addition to the regular Sunday PM schedule, we've got Sunday Night, Monday Night and Thursday Night Football.  Just read that they are thinking about implementing a Sunday AM game now.  It's one thing when they used the premium time slots to showcase some marquee matchups but now, most of the games are either two garbage teams playing each other (can't wait for the 49ers to play Tampa Bay on an upcoming Thursday night, especially since they will both in those really cool "color-rush" uniforms) or a game that is lopsided (AZ vrs the Jets as we saw on Monday). 

I had the house to myself Monday night, was pretty stoked to drink a couple of beer and watch Monday Night Football.  I lasted mid-way through the 2nd quarter and ended up watching Netflix.  What a horrible game. 

In looking at the entire season for both Monday and Thursday night football, there are probably at best 3-4 games that appear to be good matchups.  

The Lions stole one in Indy during week 1, and embarrassed the then undefeated Eagles a few weeks later. Pretty entertaining for me considering network television coverage is sexually attracted to the Packers and Patriots. Good teams are good, but how about some variety? 

One of the biggest thugs in the league, Vontaz Burfict of Cincy, avoided a suspension and was only fined by the league for two cheap shots during last weeks' game against NE.  Both caught on TV, he went for the knees of a Patriot who wasn't even in the play, the second time he was caught stomping on the legs of Blount.    Either one of these could have taken a guy out for the season, if not longer.  This scumbag just came off a 3 game suspension for similar antics last year.    4 games for football pressure irregularities, a fine for this??   Glad to see Goodell remains committed to player safety.   

Edited by 11bee
  • 1 month later...

I was having lunch minding my own business at an Indian restaurant In Pittsburgh today. It is not a well-known place, kinda hidden in the suburbia. The place was relatively busy. Out of nowhere, Troy Polamalu and his wife walked in. I was immediately star-struck but kept my cool. He was wearing shorts, sneakers, and a work-out T; super casual. Nobody in the restaurant recognized him, partly because I could tell it's not a crowd that would be interested in football. I was totally surprised, as I thought after retirement he would be back in California/Oregon (I think he is from there). Perhaps they are still here in PA for kids' school or something. As the two walked right by me, I raised my head and very discretely said 'Hi Troy!'. He stopped, smiled, and said 'Hey, how're you...', not waiting for my response or anything. 

Anyway, they went to the buffet multiple times, each time walking right by me. I never made any more eye contact, just ignored him and kept playing on my phone. I could tell as I was getting up for the buffet he was checking to see if I was going to approach them or something, but I didn't.

I soooo wanted to get a picture with him just for fun! I have his jersey, loved the guy as a player and as a super-descent human being (if you don't know him, he's probably the most humble prominent athlete you will ever see). I thought about what I would say, how to strike a conversation, how to ask for a picture etc. Each time, I simply did not do it. I just wanted to give the guy his privacy and thought maybe he would not want his photo taken while at lunch. 

What would you have done? I really like him and I am fairly certain that he would have been at least cordial for 30 seconds, but I still thought these guys are constantly bombarded by fans asking for a pic or a handshake, so I just didn't want to be another one of those fans. Do you think these guys don't care one way or another, do they actually seek attention, or generally want to be left alone? 

8 hours ago, Janissary said:

...What would you have done? I really like him and I am fairly certain that he would have been at least cordial for 30 seconds, but I still thought these guys are constantly bombarded by fans asking for a pic or a handshake, so I just didn't want to be another one of those fans. Do you think these guys don't care one way or another, do they actually seek attention, or generally want to be left alone? 

I have a few friends who were NHL players, guys I played with. I won't name drop but if you followed hockey they'd be recognizable. Anyway we've talked about this in the past and basically they don't like it when people (strangers) come around them when they are out with their kids or wives or when they are out eating. I think this is understandable as I wouldn't like it. When they're alone and just out and about they generally don't mind a quick word, photo, or autograph. Every athlete is different obviously. Some thrive off of the fawning and attention while others would rather just go about their business without any attention. The worst are the autograph sellers. Many athletes can spot the autograph sellers, people looking to use their signatures to make money, and they really don't like those people much and it shows quite often in their body language and attitude.

Cheers!

9 hours ago, Janissary said:

What would you have done? I really like him and I am fairly certain that he would have been at least cordial for 30 seconds, but I still thought these guys are constantly bombarded by fans asking for a pic or a handshake, so I just didn't want to be another one of those fans. Do you think these guys don't care one way or another, do they actually seek attention, or generally want to be left alone? 

You never met them unless you have the selfie to prove it!

Regarding the NFL in general, the season is turning out to be a bit more interesting than it looked earlier this fall.   I'm loving the Raiders.  Always been a favorite for some reason but this year they are outstanding.   Will be interesting to see how far they can go with a great offense and a fair to middling D (I guess the same applies to NE).  Also pleased to see Dallas benched Romo in favor of keeping Prescott as QB1.   It seems to be paying off, although I still don't want to see them go all the way, primarily because "Jerruh" is such a DB.   Also happy to see Kirk Cousins tearing it up.   He's a weird dude, which makes it all the more enjoyable to watch him play. 

Raaaaaaiderrrrs...

Watched the Sounds of the Game segment on raiders.com . On the last 4th & 10 play (the Mack strip-fumble recovery) Janikowski is kneeling on the sideline watching and goes nuts when Mack comes up with it. Gave me chills-he's been waiting a long time for this team to come around again. Lots of talk about cutting him after this season and on the odd chance they do, at least he'll go out a winner.

If this team can find a way to beat KC, I don't think anyone will stop them.

Ken

And Brady officially takes the title as the QB with the most wins in NFL history (and he did it in 30 games less than the runner up).   I'll argue that no other stat except W's matters and Brady now takes the title of the greatest QB in NFL history.  

Sorry Papa John....

17 hours ago, 11bee said:

And Brady officially takes the title as the QB with the most wins in NFL history (and he did it in 30 games less than the runner up).   I'll argue that no other stat except W's matters and Brady now takes the title of the greatest QB in NFL history.  

Sorry Papa John....

And he missed 4 games due to a suspension and is still in the MVP running...