This build needs more prop driven aircraft! 

This kit will represent a late model corsair serving with VF-14 on the USS Coral Sea in the early 1950s, when she was sent to the Mediterranean to "keep the peace". I'm planning to build it outfitted on standby for a strike mission. Wings folded, armed with rockets, and ready for take-off. 

So what is this mess you see below? Hobbyboss gives you fabric covered wings, which were present on corsairs up to the -5 model. I covered the fabric areas with Mr. Melted Plastic putty or whatever its called, and will sand them flat once dry. Then rescribe where necessary. 

Thanks, Hobbyboss :doh:

IMG_20161018_202323685_HDR.jpg

Things began moving over the weekend. First, I finished filing the fabric portion of the wings, and describing the lost panel lines. All in all things turned out okay, but if the light hits the surfCe just right, you can see the filled furrows. I added several layers of filler and tested with painting after each one, and the effect is not going away. Whatever, I can live with this.

IMG_20161023_204308806.jpg

The til of the wing farthest right, needed some errant panel lines filled and will need describing.

Edited by RKic

After the wings, I began assembly of the engine. Hobbyboss gives you a lot of great detail here, but most won't be seen once the fuselage is assembled. I have no intention of going nuts on this. Here is the backside.

IMG_20161023_224251946.jpg

I applied a coat of Tamiya TS-42 

IMG_20161023_225702404_HDR.jpg

Really good work on this.  Wings turned out nice after dealing with the overdone fabric effect.  Good work on the engine and cockpit too.  What color did you use for the engine.  I use Medium Gray but I like how yours is a tad darker and a tad more blue.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

I used medium gray with a tad of blue :)

On 10/29/2016 at 2:18 PM, mlicari said:

Really good work on this.  Wings turned out nice after dealing with the overdone fabric effect.  Good work on the engine and cockpit too.  What color did you use for the engine.  I use Medium Gray but I like how yours is a tad darker and a tad more blue.

Mike

Thanks, Mike.

The engine is intermediate blue mixed with medium gray. Both Tamiya.

The fuselage is together, and boy do these late corsairs have funny looking noses. :)

IMG_20161113_231754807_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161113_231814349_HDR.jpg

I cut a piece of tape to replace the round panel, which was partly lost to sanding.

IMG_20161113_231909209_HDR.jpg

On 11/13/2016 at 11:39 PM, RKic said:

I used medium gray with a tad of blue :)

Thanks, Mike.

The engine is intermediate blue mixed with medium gray. Both Tamiya.

Thanks!  Good tip regarding adding some intermediate blue.

Mike

A bit more of the corsair. Here you can see the completed tail unit. The fabric tail had to be filled as the -5 had a metal tail. Also notice the flaps. HB designed them to be raised, but by simply cutting the little actuating tabs, they can be modeled lowered (cut the tabs, not their housings). The folded wing mechanism has also been installed. This is nicely detailed and some dry brushing will really make it stand out.

IMG_20161115_224129825.jpg

Edited by RKic
  • 3 weeks later...

Following a few weeks distraction (see my Defiant build in the Display case thread?), its time to go back to the Corsair. Since the whole thing is going to be in blue, I decided now was a good time to stick on the wheel legs, and bay covers. Hobbyboss includes a good deal of detail here, and it all fits very nicely. I painted it all a very dark blue (almost black), the outer surfaces of the plane will be painted lighter blue, and then everything will be overpainted in dark sea blue, to give it some tonal variation. 

I hope it works! 

IMG_20161204_215105665.jpg

I also testfit one of the folded wings. Seems pretty sturdy, but I can see why they used braces on the real thing. :)

IMG_20161204_215153110.jpg

• 2 months later...

Finally getting back to the Hobbyboss corsair. I painted it with  four shades of blue mixed from Tamiya paints. It's not nearly as patchy or faded looking to the naked eye. The lighting and camera are washing things out. Nevertheless, I'm thinking of applying a light blue filter to tie things together a bit more, and to act as a very subtle negative panel wash. I'll test on a small patch first.

IMG_20170209_222929226_HDR.jpg

Getting down to the wire, but I'm determined to finish at least one of my entries for this GB! :)

And now with the yellow trim painted. The Tamiya blues lifted in some spots (first time I've had this problem with Tamiya paint), so touch-ups will be required. 

IMG_20170211_215706469_HDR_zpst6uleboj.j

I also had a small problem when I fitted one of the wheels to see if I had the legs lined up correctly. I couldn't get the wheel back off, and trying to pull it off with pliers FUBAREd the bottom of the gear leg. I rebuilt it with wire, and am now bulking it up with epoxy putty. Once dry, I hope it can be sanded into shape. 

IMG_20170211_215716892_zpswvqkpj1p.jpg

What a dumb screw-up to have this far into the build! 

Looking good mate.

I'm sorry for your mishap,but I think are part of the game.

For example yesterday I finished a 200mm Dark Elf statue for a collector;during this week,during the painting of the cloack,in order to speed up the process I used an hairdryer.Unfortunately,the cloack fall from my hand and broke one part in pieces...so I'd reconstruct the area,comprised the missed parts and the decorative details,before continue the paint.

Gianni

Edited by kurnass77

Thanks for the encouragement, Gianni.  It is nice to hear that I'm not alone in this. :)

My leg repairs are nearly done. It maybe isn't good as new, but its good enough. 

IMG_20170212_123713804_HDR.jpg 

some touchups, and I should be ready to start decals, maybe tonight still. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Martin.

Nearly there, but I'm afraid I may not cross the finish line. The HVAR rockets I intended to use for this kit, are just junk. All of my attempts to make them round in profile have failed. As it is, I can't really get this kit to represent a strike corsair. 

I'll order some Brasin HVARs, but I doubt they'll get here with enough time for me to finish them up.

So close!

IMG_20170222_204052711_HDR.jpg