F-4 unusual load

Just for clarification my Blu's shown above were made using NATO/Italian Air Force drawings (including measures and curvature radius) and all had named "27", this is also confirmed by a couple of friends of my former 104 fighter bomber pilots.

1 hour ago, onosendai said:

Just for clarification my Blu's shown above were made using NATO/Italian Air Force drawings (including measures and curvature radius) and all had named "27", this is also confirmed by a couple of friends of my former 104 fighter bomber pilots.

actually these are BLU-27s as well and their nose cones are rounded enough in this case... so who can unravel the mystery?? :gr_eek2:

http://www.panterenere.it/velivoli/F104S/f104pag2.html

5141nap.jpg

5141nap2.jpg

maybe there was an EARLY version and a LATE version of the same bomb?

Edited by Alpagueur
2 hours ago, Alpagueur said:

actually these are BLU-27s as well and their nose cones are rounded enough in this case... so who can unravel the mystery?? :gr_eek2:

http://www.panterenere.it/velivoli/F104S/f104pag2.html

maybe there was an EARLY version and a LATE version of the same bomb?

The information I have says that NATO BLU-1s were called "N-containers", although I agree that the ones pictured look like BLU-27s. My information on NATO stores is pretty limited...

Edited by mrvark
22 hours ago, twong said:

Thanks! The Hasegawa 1/48 pods are 2 and 7/10th inches long by 3/5th of an inch wide. The Monogram 1/48 ones are 2 and 4/5th inches long and 2/5th of an inch wide. Both widths are approximate rounded off to the higher end.

I was planning on using the Hasegawa pods for an F-4D to represent the napalm canisters. I am planning on using the Monogram ones with the tips cut off for a USMC F-4B. Total 100% accuracy isn't an issue for me but I would like something close. If the Hasegawa and Monogram ones are close enough then that is fine with me.

Unfinned BLU-27s were 129.8" long, with fins they were 141.7" long. both were 18.5" dia. with a fin span of 23.25".

The Marines used Mk 77 fire bombs exclusively--those are entirely different than the BLUs. They are available from Aerobonus 480039 or Eduard 648223.

Note the MER is moved forward on the c/l pylon most likely for C of G or clearance since there is one on the lower aft station:

jell.jpg

a close up on the nose:

Napalm Canister Loaded on a 559th TFS F-4C Phantom II / 1967

Jari

Edited by Finn

This is a mixture of things. I'm not sure what the rectangular panel in the middle is supposed to be, but haven't noticed it in drawings or photos. It has a flange like the BLU-1, which was eliminated with the welded BLU-27s. The end caps appear too pointed, the fill cap 'might' be on the centerline (can't really tell), and the red bands should be beside the end caps, not on the cylindrical part of the bomb. Finally, the A/Bs were OD.

Was at the Udvar-Hazy center last weekend and took a couple of pics of the BLU-27s on their F-100 that are as close to side on as I could get. Note the location of the weld seam. I'd assumed it would be on the bottom of the bomb, but that clearly wasn't the case on these. I also noted on some of the pics posted in this thread that there was no aft fill cap on the BLU-27s, but on these, the fill cap is on the aft end, not the front. Also note that the aft section is shorter than the front section. The 'official' BLU-1 drawings call this out, but the available BLU-27 drawings weren't that specific. I suspect this is a holdover from the BLU-1, perhaps allowing that field-assembled bomb to have the tail section 'nested' within the nose section when shipped.

161022 BLU-27-B on F-100 L side-Jim Rotramel.jpeg

161022 BLU-27-B on F-100 R side-Jim Rotramel.jpeg

thanks for the info Jim.

from the pics you've attached they look like MXU-648 F-16/F-15/A-10 typical baggage pods...

http://www.modern-hobbies.com/misc-underwing-stores/baggage-pod

3356rnm.jpg

and in this case the aft section is longer than the front section.

Edited by Alpagueur
38 minutes ago, mrvark said:

Note the location of the weld seam. I'd assumed it would be on the bottom of the bomb, but that clearly wasn't the case on these.

you mean this?

eg8l5v.jpg

Edited by Alpagueur

you mean this?

eg8l5v.jpg

Yes

3 hours ago, Alpagueur said:

thanks for the info Jim.

from the pics you've attached they look like MXU-648 F-16/F-15/A-10 typical baggage pods...

http://www.modern-hobbies.com/misc-underwing-stores/baggage-pod

3356rnm.jpg

and in this case the aft section is longer than the front section.

In this case, I'm sure they're hanging the pod so that the hatch is outboard.

If it was an actual fire bomb, I'm guessing that the long part would go first so as to match the already established ballistic profile of the BLU-1. 

DSC_0031A_zpsopiswgnu.jpg

The Hasegawa 1/48 travel pods are 2 and 7/10th inches long by 3/5th of an inch wide. If you go by MRVARK's dimensions quoted below and scale down to 1/48 scale, the Hasegawa travel pods are pretty close in scale. When I did the math, this is what I got. BLU-27s were 129.8" long so scaled to 48 that comes to 2.7 inches, the Hasegawa travel pods are 2 and 7/10ths. Both were 18.5" dia. Scaled down to 48th scale that is .38 inches. The Hasegawa 1/48 travel pods are 3/5th of an inch wide. To me, the Hasegawa travel pods are very close to scale. The Hasegawa travel pods also have one long end and one shorter end. The longer end is .85 inches and the shorter end is .7 inches.

The silver painted BLU-27 with the fins is from the Hasegawa 1/48 weapons set. It is roughly the same size as the Hasegawa travel pod to its right. if you take the fins off.

The tan figure is from a Monogram 1/48 F-5E kit and measures just over 1.55 inches. The silver figure all the way to the left with his arm stretched out is from a Monogram 1/48 F-86 and measures the same as the one from the F-5 kit at just over 1.55 inches. The figure in the middle is from the Monogram 1/48 MiG-15 and measures 1.45 inches.  In the photo quoted below, the guy looks to be less than half the height of the BLU-27. I don't know what actual height the kit figures are represented in 1/48 and I don't know the height of the guy in the photo quoted below but the Monogram kit figures are more than half the size of the Hasegawa travel pod.

Either way, I think by the dimensions MRVARK gave, the Hasegawa 1/48 travel pods are to scale and could represent the BLU-27's shown on the F-4C on page one, post #7. You will have to round off the tips a bit as the Hasegawa ones are pretty pointy. Easy enough with a few swipes of sandpaper.

On 10/24/2016 at 11:30 AM, mrvark said:

Unfinned BLU-27s were 129.8" long, with fins they were 141.7" long. both were 18.5" dia. with a fin span of 23.25".

The Marines used Mk 77 fire bombs exclusively--those are entirely different than the BLUs. They are available from Aerobonus 480039 or Eduard 648223.

18 hours ago, Finn said:

Unless the guy is small, the bombs were a fair size:

24d5f2ddfbd8f697fd3110ff686acf8a.jpg

Jari

Edited by twong

You sure can, that second photo of the White undersided F-4C is in Vietnam.

That is one of the small batch of Light Gull Gray over White F-4C that received the SEA camo and kept the White undersides while in Vietnam when the Camo was first applied.

I don't know if she got the MiG kill while in Gray or in SEA camo, though.

(it is also a photo of an F-4C with the angled innerwing pylon,,,,for the few that don't believe that happened)

Edited by Rex
14 hours ago, Rex said:

You sure can, that second photo of the White undersided F-4C is in Vietnam.

thanks Rex.

could be used the Videoaviation "BLU-27s" (Nato) as BLU-1s (Vietnam)?

we just have to move a little the front fill cap from the longitudinal axis...

Edited by Alpagueur
2 hours ago, Rex said:

I am a 1/72 modeler.

I think we're a minority these days. :crying:

...  Modern Hobbies Travel pods as my BLU-27s. [/quote]

Thanks, Rex. Modern Hobbies offers other really good 1/72 products as well ... and has a very good blog to boot!

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

Don't worry, that chart was not all inclusive. (the M 118 is not on it, either) It was intended as an overview.

But, there are a lot of weapons that have chapters later on in the TO that aren't on the charts.

Something being on the chart and in the TO meant that you *could* carry it, but, not being on the chart didn't always mean that you *couldn't*

The Air Force was just like the Navy, there were always things allowed in bulletins in between the TOs,,,,,,they got added as soon as a new TO was issued.

Think of it as the evolution of things,,,,,,when something got invented, it was "bulletined" (or not, lol), used, and added in when the "paperwork caught up". TO's came after a thing came along, not before it.

Edited by Rex
6 hours ago, Alpagueur said:

double MK.84 on a single TER was possible?

No, the Mk-84 had 30" lugs, the TER/MER racks could only take stores with 14" lug spacing not to mention a weight limit of 1,000lbs on the TER/MER racks. Just a single Mk-84 on the pylon itself.

Jari