Learjet 35 "Phoenix Air" in 1/72 by Mach2

Well, when I reviewed the kit of the Mach2 Learjet 35 (

) I´ve never thought that I would regret building that kit that soon after starting it.

May I introduce the cockpit:

IMG_6312_zpscpqb811i.jpg

Considering the usual quality of other short-run-kits I really wonder how Mach2 dares to release this...

But I won´t give up!

HAJO

Hajo, it could be worse. You've got an interior. Just be lucky it's not a vacuform kit, like the BroPlan 1/72 Falcon 900Ex, which I have to start one day.

But after seing your scratch built boat, I know you can do it.

Show us the pictures of the build!

Yessir,     I don't know how much $$$ you have tied up in AM "stuff" yet, but here is one solution.  Depending upon how you feel about In-Flight builds, that may be a viable option.  You could build the model with gear up, over-paint the canopy so your cockpit would not be visible, put it on a nice stand, and call it a day.  You could put a patch on the base of the stand from the Swiss Airforce unit that you are modeling.  If you haven't invested in a pile of aftermarket cockpit items, you could build a nice in-flight model and donate it to the Swiss Airforce unit that flies this particular airplane.  Cut your losses, if any, and move on to your next project.  That's just my 2 cents worth.

Good Luck!!!

Edited by balls47

Thank you for the input! balls47, so far I haven't invested in any AM-stuff (because I almost never do, not accounting that this kit probably has no AM-offers), but will just do it OOB except for the markings.

I hope I can meet my own expectation with the kit, since I want to do it in Phoenix Air-markings. So, I was wrong, I DID invest in some AM-stuff, which are self-made decals for this version.

This is the current status:

IMG_6316_zpsonwhsy6x.jpg

The windows look good, although I had to do some sanding to make them fit into the openings. The cockpit itself is the worst thing I've ever seen, but as some said, you probably won see anything due to the distorted clear parts. However, I plan to add some basic pilot figures since I like my birds "manned".

HAJO

Some progress! First a look at my pilots - no arms, no legs, no lower body...

IMG_6317_zpssqraykqk.jpg

I also sanded a lot on the nose of the aircraft, not sure how this will look once the clear parts are attached.

IMG_6318_zpsexwhnevo.jpg

After having glued on the "clear parts"... LOL

As you can see, the nose doesn´t really look like a Learjet:

IMG_6321_zpsppgwdihz.jpg

Closer look:

IMG_6322_zpsy4niqtv7.jpg

In the moment I´m writing this a big blob of putty is drying on the nose of the kit. I hope I can rstore the typical noseline of the Lear.

HAJO

I think the nose looks close.  Appears that the center of the windshield has a curve to sand down and that the windshield "glass" bulges too much--again sanding.  

Put a lot of sanding into their DC-4 cockpit clear partly to see if the blemishes/fog were mostly surface.  Those flaws did not improve but it did prove that those clear parts can take a lot of sanding because they are so thick.  A bonus was a smoother surface on the clear parts.

Well, I think the Lear 60-nose will stay where it belongs...

I did some work as plastic surgeon:

IMG_6325_zps4uudnbs6.jpg

It´s still not looking good when taking a sharp look from close. It looks more like a Cessna Citation nose than a Learjet nose. I think I will start sanding away from the underside of the nose to make the whole thing pointier.

IMG_6326_zpsgy3x1iwc.jpg

The windshield looks "off", like if the bird ate too much and is too fat now.

HAJO

I attached the wings.

IMG_6329_zpsqx43zkh7.jpg

I also noticed that the most aft cabin windows of the Phoenix Air-birds are blind or even deleted, so out came som eputty again.

I won´t mention the nose...

HAJO

I can start painting!

IMG_6332_zpsokqhkgco.jpg

The wings, engines and tanks went on smoothly, although you can´t disguise the origin of the kit...

IMG_6334_zpsjue8jgrj.jpg

The red stripe is the base for a smiling shark-mouth:

IMG_6335_zpsfztedgdu.jpg

HAJO

Decals are on!

IMG_6342_zpsw82bnpha.jpg

Of course this didn´t went as planned as well... The quality of the decals is good, but they are too small! I got them from a custom decal producer who promised to downscale a set of 1:48 into 1:72... Well, looks like claculating wasn´t their biggest strength.

Anyway, I´m pretty satisfied with the general look!

HAJO

Finished!

IMG_6345_zpsuq2t6uus.jpg

IMG_6346_zpsaf88nxff.jpg

The small Learjet 35 is really a showstopper, but I´d really wish some decent manufacturer would do a model of this aircraft. The Mach2-kit is really a disgrace for the Lear!

IMG_6347_zpsy72mdz1x.jpg

IMG_6348_zpsjumzumrb.jpg

The mouth has been handpainted, using a finescale-pen for the "grin".

IMG_6349_zpshtttbeme.jpg

IMG_6350_zpsctpth5vj.jpg

Loadout are an ECM-pod used by adversary-birds and an ACMI-sensor.

IMG_6351_zpsvf3rilvs.jpg

IMG_6352_zpsd4vu49w6.jpg

IMG_6354_zpsxk5sep1y.jpg

HAJO

• 3 years later...