Brewster Corsair Mk III

I was searching for an FAA Corsair subject to do when I came upon

a set of decals for a Brewster built Corsair used in combat by the FAA.

It was a set of decals by fundekals for a Corsair III on the HMS Victorious

in 1944. I have read that no Brewster Corsairs made it to front line action

but I guess some slipped through? This one, in TSS camo, had nose art with a stick figure

of "The Saint" and the name "Patricia" on it. Would anyone know how much

truth there is to this and if the decals are done in 1/72 scale. That would be a great

aircraft to model!---John

Edited by john53

They said  that the Brewster came in tri color and was repainted in the UK

before it went to sea. I had read  in several articles that Brewster was not

reliable, the wings fell of a few of them ? Also some one wanted the engineers

to invent a fixture so they could shake the plane upside down so all the loose

nuts, bolts, and tools would fall out before flight? I guess they had serious union

problems also and sabotage, sounds like quite the outfit!---John

Well, my eight books weren't all that helpful. I do know that 400+ CORSAIR IIIs were accepted by the FAA but I have little indicating their use.  Dana Bell's recent Aircraft Pictorial mentions that the US NAVY thought Brewster turned out a fine product, it was labor and mismanagement that killed that source. Sorry I coudn't offer more.

They have pictures at fundekals showing the plane in question. Supposedly it has BU

numbers that would make it a Brewster F3A-1.The still pictures they have are taken from 16mm

movie film shot by a USN photographers mate when aboard the Victorious in October 1944. I like the decal

scheme so Brewster or not I think I'll model this one.---john

Hi John,

In case you are looking for more Corsair III:

"Sturtivant's "Fleet Air Arm Aircraft 1939-45" show two contracts for Corsair IIIs built by Brewster. The first, covers JS469-JS888 (BuAer #04689-04774, 08550-08797, and 11067-11152). A second batch was quite small, JT963-JT972 (BuAer 11153-11162) While these were all designated F3A-1 by Brewster, they were similar to Vought F4U-1a."   Don't know the site or person that posted this info.  It was copied from my files.

"430 Corsair III serialed JS469-JS888 and JT963-972.  USN BuNos indicate that the first 335 aircraft were F3A-1’s and the final 95 F3A-1D’s, all with the framed canopy.  All these aircraft used the larger propeller."  Posted by Paul Fontenoy at the long gone FAASIG website.

Thanks Don. I think your information comes from a December 2008 thread on Hyperscale.

Quite an interesting discussion that states Brewster Corsairs were used by Brits and any

problems could have been fixed making them useable. It looks like more than one Brewster

Corsair made into front line action with the FAA. So they may have been used on the

Victorious and Formidable. Interesting. Also someone said they might have been fixed

by Blackburn, no idea who or what that is, a factory in UK maybe?---John

Edited by john53
On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 6:22 AM, john53 said:

Also someone said they might have been fixed

by Blackburn, no idea who or what that is, a factory in UK maybe?---John

They are (or were) a company here in the UK designing & manufacturing aircraft.

---------------------

Both "The Saint" and "Patricia" can be seen the film from the Victorious as noted above, they did exist.

You can find that footage in Aircraft Film on e Corsair.

I'm afraid I don't agree wih Fundekals interpretation of the national insignia though. I don't agree with the red in it.

Edited by Scooby
On 10/20/2016 at 7:22 PM, john53 said:

Also someone said they might have been fixed by Blackburn, no idea who or what that is, a factory in UK maybe?---John

Blackburn Aircraft operated a modification facility at Roosevelt Field on Long Island New York.  There, US aircraft such as Hellcats and Corsairs were modified to British requirements.  Factory delivered aircraft for the USAAF and USN were also sent to US mod centers to make the aircraft meet the requirements of the theater of operation and projects that they were destined for.  The critical role of these mod centers is an untold story of US WWII aircraft production.

Don