Do you take Date of Introduction into consideration?

In the course of an MBR and MER discussion on another site, something occurred to me.

When you build a model, do you check the subject's date for the markings, and then pick your weapons and tanks based on what was actually available at that time?

Or do you just go ahead and mount a MER on a 1960 Skyhawk? Or just go ahead and bolt Sgt Fletcher tanks onto your Enterprise F4H-1? (F-4B later on)

Edited by Rex

I do.

I was just wondering how many others do it also.

In addition to the MBR/MER discussion, I saw a bunch of Phantoms with notched out walkways, on F-4Bs before Shoehorn, and "any lump is an IR" comments when talking about F-4Bs.

So, I was just wondering how common "generic" modeling is compared to "parts specific."

3 hours ago, Rex said:

I do.

I was just wondering how many others do it also.

In addition to the MBR/MER discussion, I saw a bunch of Phantoms with notched out walkways, on F-4Bs before Shoehorn, and "any lump is an IR" comments when talking about F-4Bs.

So, I was just wondering how common "generic" modeling is compared to "parts specific."

I'm guessing if you hang around ARC, you probably sweat the small details.  Personally, I enjoy researching semi-obscure stuff like that.  

Curious about your comment above on notched walkways, what's that about?

F-4B after Shoehorn had chaff/flare dispensors added on the spine during the refit.

So, F-4B before that refit have one large notch in the spine walkways, for the RAT, and after that refit have two smaller ones added, looking like F-4J walkways, behind the break in the walkway for the RAT. (there is also a one small notch walkway, sometimes?, if the chaff/flare is only on one side?,,,,,,,I don't know this for sure, others will chime in with that info)

Needless to say, we didn't "stomp on the doors", so the walkway wasn't applied over them.

I think that, generally speaking, we ALL TRY to do the best we can to get it right.

Easy for all of us to forget that something absolutely obvious to us might come as news to other competent, otherwise knowledgeable builders. It's good for the reverse to happen once in a while to remind us of our humanity. :cheers:

To put it plainly, yes I do take the time to research load outs and time/date appropriate weapons. That's one of the reasons I joined ARC.

I have seen other people who just put on any bit of weaponry whether platform or date appropriate or not, because they like the look. Each to their own I suppose.

I don't think there's an "always" answer. For instance, I've currently got a Hasegawa quarter scale eagle - a D model - on the bench. It's supposed to be a replica of a specific aircraft on a specific day in a specific place, so doing everything I can to make it 'right' is the point. Conversely, I've got a prowler that was started because my son was looking through the stash and brought it to me - "let's build this one daddy". It's an early kit with late nineties markings and we're throwing a HARM on it because why not. We pulled up some pictures to see where they were normally carried, but it's all 'wrong', except we're having fun, you know? 

One thing I see now and again that does bother me a bit is seeing someone who's obviously put a great deal of time, effort and money into various explody things, and hit every little detail of location, timeframe and positioning...only to have wayyyy overloaded the airplane.

Normally lurk more than post, but I felt compressed to post.

If it's a subject I have knowledge about, I'll be more careful in my ordnance selection. If it's something I don't know a whole lot about and I'm just building for fun, I won't care as much. I still try to get it correct, but if I don't, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. My recent Tamiya Tomcat build is an example. I did VF-33 markings from Furball. That specific airframe didn't have the Block 125 ECM upgrade. However, I had used it as my testbed for my Steel Beach set. I really wanted to do those markings, so I went ahead and did them. 99% of the people won't know (unless I tell them!).

As long as you're trying to get it right, remember that parked airplanes are not loaded with bombs and missiles. If the thing is all loaded up, it would not be sitting there with no one around and the canopies open. 

Context correct equipment is something to think about in the same vein as period correct equipment... ;)

D

Edited by D Bellis
Fixing auto-correct errors...

D Bellis, that is also true for Remove Before Flight tags. There are a bunch of Airframe tags that are still in place when the ordnance is loaded, they get removed just before flight, just like the bomb tags. Those are seldom modeled, though, even on aircraft all bombed up.

But, for me to say anything about that when I see a model would be rightly considered Rude Nit PIcking.

I think loading Pave Knife on a plane 5 years before it was invented is a bigger mistake. Or Sgt Fletcher tanks on a Phantom 5 years before they were invented. "Douglas shape" bombs before Douglas drew up the shape. Things like that just stick out.

On the other hand, I am as happy as can be to see a rare load that people didn't think happened, especially if I can see some documentation or have a convo with the modeler.