Airfix New 1/48 P-51D Mustang

Tamiya has a pretty significant problem with the wheel wells. Both Airfix and Meng seem to have improved upon that shortcoming. Given that the Airfix is supposed to come with a load of optional extras, and will probably sell cheaper than Tamiya, I could see it possible becoming the 1/48 P-51D of choice...

The Meng kit might be nice, but I suspect the price will be higher.

Eduard version (if they don't cancel it in light of the competition from Airfix and Meng) will probably have great surface detail quality, and will benefit from the usual inclusions of PE, masks, and multiple decal options, but will also probably be one of the pricier 1/48 P-51Ds.

As for Luftwaffe kits, there aren't enough yet. Bring 'em on.

I'll take a new tool Mustang from Airfix. I've liked quite a few of their newer releases and well...I like Mustangs... so hey, more the merrier! And Airfix kits tend to be well priced.

Cheers!

3 hours ago, silver1 said:

And how many good 1/48 F4Us are on the market? Tamiya and....

At least the Tamiya kit is highly regarded. Is there much to be improved on?

Hasegawa does later versions but I have no idea how good they are as I'm only interested in WWII era stuff.

13 hours ago, john53 said:

Tamiya are top notch, but why not include "wings down" option as well as wings

folded. I am one who likes my birds other than folded up stored mode, just saying.---John

Since the Tamiya kits can be built with wings up or down, I can only assume you're hoping for a kit with 'one piece' wings that can't be built folded without major surgery on the modeler's part?

I don't know about anyone else, but I think I'd prefer all kits of subjects with folding wings to come with the option to build with wings folded, when possible.

Personally, and my own preference, is to build an aircraft showing it's beautiful

lines. I have never yet nor probably ever will build a wings folded plane. But

that's me and my preference. Seeing as though I am a minority in that respect

I will never see a Tamiya 1/48 with the OPTION for wings down with out having to

putty and sand till the cows come home. Luckily I build mostly 1/72nd scale and

lo and behold Tamiya did it RIGHT! Wings down! Wouldn't it be nice if they gave you

the choice for either option. I would definitely pay the extra to be PC, according

to me that is.---John

I want to highlight a few points of interest from the official announcement:

"The new 1/48th Scale North American P-51D Mustang (A05131) will feature the impressive levels of detail associated with this slightly larger scale and will also incorporate a number of different build options for the modeller to consider. As you would expect, the model will be able to be finished in either flight, or static configuration, with the latter providing the modeller with a number of alternative options, such as canopy position, flaps and undercarriage door positioning. The kit will also allow the modeller to build different versions of the ‘D’ model Mustang, from the first machines introduced into service, to the later aircraft which featured a number of improvements - this will very much appeal to fans of this magnificent aeroplane. There will also be a number of weapon and under-wing drop tank options available, which will allow the modeller to produce a great many of the attractive Mustang schemes we will all be familiar with.

This exciting new 1/48th scale P-51D Mustang is due for release in August 2017 and we look forward to bringing you regular updates over the coming weeks. To receive notification of when this Magnificent Mustang is available for pre-order, please sign up for the Airfix e-mail newsletter and be at the head of the pack."

If this kit truly has as many options as they seem to be saying, it could become quite an enticing proposition if the price is right. I'm thinking they are saying you can build this P-51D with or without the fin fillet possibly? That would be a nice option indeed.

Absolutely! Having the optional fin fillet would be a HUGE bonus!! My excitement level just increased. I see "Cripes A' Mighty 3rd" possibly in my future.

Cheers!

I'd like to see markings for post-World War II users, and there are plenty of them.

In no particular order and off the top of my head:

Sweden

Switzerland

Indonesia

Haiti

Dominican Republic

South Africa

Somalia

South Korea

Australia

Guatamala

Nicaragua

I'm sure I'm missing a few, but that's quite a list as is.

On 10/25/2016 at 4:25 AM, john53 said:

Tamiya are top notch, but why not include "wings down" option as well as wings

folded. I am one who likes my birds other than folded up stored mode, just saying.---John

With due regard to the fact that this thread is about P-51s, not F4Us, I had very little, if any, difficulty building the Tamiya birdcage Corsair with unfolded wings.

On 10/24/2016 at 5:58 PM, silver1 said:

And how many good 1/48 F4Us are on the market? Tamiya and....

And you have said what to these other posters! Do you have a problem with me?

Whats good for the goose is good for the gander!!!!!

He was commenting specifically on the point raised about Corsairs re: wing fold options so there was no need for him to say anything to other posters, unless I'm much mistaken.

He mentioned due regard for the fact that the topic is about P-51s by way of apology for veering off topic to address the wing fold issue.

I believe it would be the first 'D' in 1/48 without the fillet. Right now our only option is to convert a filleted  'D'  to an early non-filleted 'D' either by scratching our own or using the resin tail replacement from Ultracast. I certainly hope Airfix makes the non-filleted 'D' as it opens up a lot of possibilities.

Cheers!