How about some USN H-60's in 1/48

With the Italeri 1/48 HH-60H and SH-60B out for quite a while now, we need some decent USN H-60 decals.

The images below are badly needed in 1/48 decal form.

Olimp makes an MH-60R and MH-60S conversion set. You made some nice AH-1W decals to go along with the Olimp AH-1W turned exhaust conversion so maybe possible to do some USN H-60's.

There  is the Cobra Company resin set to dress up the HH-60H, SH-60B and there is also a conversion for the SH-60F.

Eduard makes PE as well for both the HH-60H and SH-60B. Their MH-60K PE sets can be used to do an MH-60S.

Link to a really nice MH-60S from HSC-9. You can use the Italeri 1/48 MH-60K with the Olimp conversion set to do a decent MH-60S. Academy did it in 1/35 but we really need it in 1/48.

http://www.masm.fr/Navycag/hs/hsc9/13283.jpg

Link to another nice MH-60S from HSC-8.

http://www.masm.fr/Navycag/hs/hsc8/120908-N-HV737-059.jpg

USN photo of HH-60H from HS-5

17j2F5L.jpg

USN photo of SH-60F from HS-2. This can easily be converted from the Italeri 1/48 SH-60B.

0tqtTBT.jpg

USN photo of MH-60R from HSM-70. Olimp also makes a decent MH-60R conversion resin set for the Italeri 1/48 SH-60B.

QM9uwyf.jpg

Edited by twong

Almost all of the Seahawk squadrons now have a very colorful tail bird, painted by a volunteer.  http://www.flygirlpainters.com/  She also has a facebook page with photos of most of her designs.

I have a bunch of friends who are current Romeo pilots, and could probably track down some Sierra types as well.  Some of the designs would probably be difficult to reproduce as decals since they are airbrushed on, but others would be ideal. 

This is one I'd be happy to help with, especially since I was seriously looking at creating decals for the HSM-35 tail bird for a project myself.  It's been a long time since any decals have come out for any of the Seahawks, so this might be a good subject.

Chris

Here is some artwork I started before my computer died and lost about 99% of the files on my hard drive. It is for the HH-60H from HS-5 Nightdippers. You can see it on the forward fuselage on the photo I posted in my original post above. It goes on both sides. Unfortunately I don't have any info for the starboard side regarding names. The image was from the HS-5 site and I edited it to make my own decals but never got anywhere with it when my computer died.

untitled003_zps0h5glsyx.png

All the ones I posted above would be great options. I already have the Eduard PE sets, Olimp resin conversions and Cobra Company resin sets too. I just need decals and I am sure plenty of other people would love to get some decent USN H-60 decal options. Black Dog makes a beautiful full resin interior for the HH-60J which can be used in the HH-60H. I also have a few sets of these.

http://www.gdkits.com/blackdog-bdoa48010-1-48-hh-60j-us-coast-guard-p-53442.html

Italeri released a 1/48 HH-60J which is just a re-box of their HH-60H but they included a few extra parts that can be used on the HH-60H. They included the extended weapons pylon on the port side that they didn't include in the original HH-60H. They also included new proper front cockpit doors.

http://www.model-making.eu/products/HH-60J-U.S.-COAST-GUARD.html

Edited by twong

As far as names go on Navy helos, they are extremely temporary, and usually only appear during deployments, and even then it doesn't always happen.  So there would really be nothing wrong with leaving names off.

For an HSL/HSM det, the two Helicopter Aircraft Commanders will typically be the ones who have their names painted on the bird during a deployment.  HS squadrons deploy as a squadron, so when they 'assign helos' it is usually done in the same way as in the jet squadrons.  Department heads get the primary name on one side, and the secondary name on the other side goes to other officers in order of seniority.  And the plane captain might get his name on the bird, and possibly the enlisted aircrew by seniority.

But again, names on Navy helos aren't that common and don't last too long.  Some of the tail birds have been putting the CO and XO's names on the doors, but usually there are no names on them when they are shore side.

Worth mentioning, helicopters are reversed from fixed wing, so the senior officer's name would usually be on the starboard side instead of port.

Chris

• 3 months later...

Hi KursadA,
Have you looked any further into the USN H-60's? We really need some decent decals for the HH-60H, SH-60F, MH-60R and MH-60S. They kits can all be made from the already available Italeri/Skunkmodels 1/48 H-60's with Cobra Company resin, Olimp resin and Eduard PE sets. Olimp has an MH-60R and MH-60S conversion set.

This is still on the to-do list, although it is not a priority right now and will probably not appear before the second half of this year. I am working on good base drawings of the H-60 series and it is taking a while.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...