1 hour ago, phantomdriver said:

I will be happy when they produce the Spey powered models...

Sounds like that will be the last they would do, and understandably, the biggest investment for retooling. But still think it will have no problem selling.

4 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

Right after I finished correcting the Hasegawa kit! You're welcome! :wave:   It looks like he got the slats right. 

Ben, I am curious as to what corrections you are doing on the Hasegawa F-4S. Belly strap, altered vents next to nose gear bay and aux. air intake. Did I miss anything (except for the slat profile)?

Jens

14 hours ago, phantomdriver said:

not at all... they will fly off the shelves,as will the others...

For a producer I believe that what really matters is how many boxes and how much time it takes to fly off the shelves. This depends on the price customers are willing to pay for the kit. The faster break-even is reached,  the more sales will finance development and tooling of later boxings and future projects.

I hope that ZM F-4J will be successful. I will buy an S as I want to do a Ferris camo: I've built a 1/72 Italeri F-4S when I got back into modeling.

8 hours ago, Neo said:

Dam and i just went and got the academy kit...

But btw this has benn mentionned one or 10 time here !! 

Sorry, I was referring to specifically the "S" model mentioned and shown in the blog. Yes I knew most were aware of the upcoming J release.

11 hours ago, JEN722 said:

Ben, I am curious as to what corrections you are doing on the Hasegawa F-4S. Belly strap, altered vents next to nose gear bay and aux. air intake. Did I miss anything (except for the slat profile)?

Jens

Hi Jens,

Those were the main things I did. I also added the Sparrow tune antenna, under the starboard ACS scoop, and corrected the wing fences. I cut off the four antenna that are molded into the lower wing and replaced them with leftovers from the Academy F-4B, and I did some sanding on the two long fairings on the intakes to make them look more like the real thing. Then there were the usual Hasegawa F-4 mods, like aftermarket cockpit, intakes, exhausts, drooped the ailerons, boxed in the aux air intakes, improved the intake on the fin, etc.

Ben

Interesting they're not doing a B. "It's up to you to keep us running until we complete the whole series of F-4 Phantom, from the J-type to the S, C, D, J (Marine ver.) types, then to each E, F, G and EJ long-nose types, to eventually finish with the Spey engine mounted types. I'm going to pick up the J as those pictures of the showtime aircraft look really good.

Wow! beautiful Phantoms! this gonna hurt my wallet in a way it never was before (for modeling!) i'll take at least one of each! ...but at that price, i'll keep  all my Hasegawa Phantoms in my stash (and eventually build them all) 

I would be shocked if they do all those versions and skip the B variant. That having been said, it won't be the first or last time, if it happens.

I could see it making sense IF the Academy release was of comparable quality, but given the inaccuracies of the Academy kit, there is room for a definitive B.

Rick

I do find it odd that an F-4B/N wasn't mentioned either, as there are cockpit parts for the B/N on sprues H and I in the F-4J kit. The engineering, design and fit of the parts are also on par with the Tamiya F-14.

One interesting item is the cockpit/nose wheel well. They are integral and you can't replace one without the other, so the aftermarket guys might have a tough time with this area. To be quite honest, there really isn't a need for aftermarket on this kit. Compared to reference photos, the cockpit is pretty damn close to the real thing and they got details on the ejection seats that I've never seen done before, in kits or resin.

When I compared my kit to the Academy J, the only advantage the Academy kit has is the single piece fuselage. The Z-M kit is better in every other way. Simply put, I don't think I'll ever get an Academy Phantom again, regardless of the price.

The Z-M F-4J and Tamiya F-14A have literally been responsible for me getting my modeling mojo back and I'm almost done building both kits!

2 hours ago, madmanrick said:

I would be shocked if they do all those versions and skip the B variant. That having been said, it won't be the first or last time, if it happens.

I could see it making sense IF the Academy release was of comparable quality, but given the inaccuracies of the Academy kit, there is room for a definitive B.

Rick

Where and what are the inaccuracies on the Academy kit? I heard the intakes are too narrow, but have been trouble finding overhead shots of the real aircraft.

10 minutes ago, fulcrum1 said:

Where and what are the inaccuracies on the Academy kit? I heard the intakes are too narrow, but have been trouble finding overhead shots of the real aircraft.

The intakes are off, the scoops on the sides of the nose are in the wrong location, the horizontal stabs are incorrectly proportioned (the natural to painted surface) and a few other odds and ends. When you compare built up photos of the Academy kit to the Z-M kit, you'll see that Z-M's attempt just captures the look of the Phantom better overall.

8 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

The intakes are off, the scoops on the sides of the nose are in the wrong location, the horizontal stabs are incorrectly proportioned (the natural to painted surface) and a few other odds and ends. When you compare built up photos of the Academy kit to the Z-M kit, you'll see that Z-M's attempt just captures the look of the Phantom better overall.

scoops,and stabs were already covered courtesy of Hypersonic models

Edited by phantomdriver
9 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

I do find it odd that an F-4B/N wasn't mentioned either, as there are cockpit parts for the B/N on sprues H and I in the F-4J kit. The engineering, design and fit of the parts are also on par with the Tamiya F-14.

One interesting item is the cockpit/nose wheel well. They are integral and you can't replace one without the other, so the aftermarket guys might have a tough time with this area. To be quite honest, there really isn't a need for aftermarket on this kit. Compared to reference photos, the cockpit is pretty damn close to the real thing and they got details on the ejection seats that I've never seen done before, in kits or resin.

When I compared my kit to the Academy J, the only advantage the Academy kit has is the single piece fuselage. The Z-M kit is better in every other way. Simply put, I don't think I'll ever get an Academy Phantom again, regardless of the price.

The Z-M F-4J and Tamiya F-14A have literally been responsible for me getting my modeling mojo back and I'm almost done building both kits!

so presumably, you got a ZM "J"  for review purposes, ahead of the release?