35 Years of F-4F and 50 Years of Phantoms

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2016 at 5:48 PM, Spectre711 said:

Radome painted and waiting for some blue.

1108161606_zpsj9hkzpmi.jpg

I was re-reading this thread and I saw this picture again and realized you pulled off quite a feat. I have this kit, and the lines for the canopy framing are so faint as to be almost no help for masking. 

I hate masking canopies and actually found this one to be on the easier side.  I actually masked them before I installed them and I think that  may have made the diffferance.

Slow go but after multiple light coats of Future I have a nice shiny Phantom.

1121161711_zpst1q1uzmg.jpg

Thanks,

It does take some time but with a little care it comes out great.  I figure I'm right on the edge of getting runs when I'm just about done.

I use an old Badger 200 siphon fed brush.  I put the Future in the jar with a few squirts of Windex and crank the air up to 40 psi.  I start with a dusting and let it set up some and then come in a bit heavier with another coat.  I've been doing this for a while and it is all by feel now.  I think the Windex helps break the surface tension and the high psi helps with the atomization of the Future.

It's one of those things you have to work with.  I use a Badge 200 and what I do is to boost the psi to about 40.  I give the Future a few squirts of windex and hit the model with a few dust coats.  Once this sets up a bit I will hit it heaver and heaver.  Once you get the process down it just comes second nature.  I had to put a lot of coats on this one though.

There is a fine line between good and getting runs but at least the runs clean up easily and touch up repairs are pretty easy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...