AMK IAI Kfir C2/C7 in 1/72, new tool

On 7/27/2017 at 7:37 AM, Gene K said:

Craig,

I got mine yesterday here in Florida, USA (thanks to the link from Johnopfor to Victory Models), and I was impressed ... as I think you will also when you have yours in hand. :thumbsup:

Gene K

Yup..... me too. I got mine from Victory today. Nice kit! Fred K.

8 hours ago, f5guy said:

Yup..... me too. I got mine from Victory today. Nice kit! Fred K.

I ordered mine through Sincere Hobby and release date has been dropped back but the latest was 27th of July but still no update from them on shipping. Ordering anything from the US usually adds another $20 to the final bill.

You should be able to get them up here in the GWN, have you tried the store (forgot name) in Dorval just west of the airport on Cardinal?? I should have a couple from Wheels & Wings in TO today, apparently the kits were delayed to the Asian stores and sent to NA first??!!??

W&W does mail order, very reasonable, here is their website;

http://www.wheelswingshobbies.com/

Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2017 at 1:47 PM, Gene K said:

Has anyone heard of future AMK plans for more models in the Mirage series? I sure hope it is so!!!

Guess no one knows of AMK's plans regarding producing more of the Mirage line. Added to that, I haven't heard anything more about Kinetic's exploration into a 1/72 Mirage line (other than Raymond fishing a long time ago), and I've not seen any progress on the Modelvit Mirage IIIE. Further, Special Hobby hasn't said anything about following up their excellent F.1, as far as I know.

So ...

since other current  Mirage kits have "features" I don't like, such as the over-riveted R.V. kits or the expensive deep-trench High Planes kits (yes, new new remastered kits are coming, and I have a couple on order), I'm looking at possibly using the AMK Kfir as the basis for backdating it first to a Mirage IIIE; and then to a Mirage IIIC. Major conversion items would include removing the canards, wing leading edge  extensions, vertical fin intake, and bottom rear fuselage fuel tank. Replacement items would include nose, fin leading edge extension, strake, tail piece/engine can ... and a myriad of detail items. Fortunately I have plenty of extra parts from  R.V. and High Planes kits :thumbsup:.

I will do all that since, as we all know, that would result in AMK. Kinetic, Modelsvit, and Special Hobby all coming out with new 1/72 Mirages!!!!

But it sure would be easier if AMK did all that for me.:rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So, I'm not gonna' do a build thread because a) my builds really aren't all that good, and b) I'd be a procrastinator, horrible to follow along...

That being said, while looking through my sprues, getting an idea of how I'll be proceeding, I was a little confused... then I realized that instead of 4 GBU-12s and 4 Griffins I actually have 8 Griffins and 0 GBU-12s.

I'm guessing somewhere out there is someone with a kit packaged with 8 GBU-12s and 0 Griffins.

If any fellow modellers here need some Griffins I'll gladly send my extras your way.

Working on one of mine at the moment. Certainly enjoying it so far.

Have installed the landing gear bays. Multiple parts with great detail and great fit. Clever engineering with tabs and slots ensures that you can dry-fit the parts and the parts stay in place. Just add a lick of Tamiya Extra-Thin. 

Now at the point where I have to paint the cockpit. I'm also trying to convince a Monogram F-105 pilot to drive the Kfir. Would love to see more manufacturers giving us detailed multi-part pilots (separate arms and head) able to fit their respective cockpits. What do you think, Martin? :rolleyes:

I'll post some pics once there's actually something to show.

On 12/24/2017 at 5:32 AM, ChernayaAkula said:

Working on one of mine at the moment. Certainly enjoying it so far.

Have installed the landing gear bays. Multiple parts with great detail and great fit. Clever engineering with tabs and slots ensures that you can dry-fit the parts and the parts stay in place. Just add a lick of Tamiya Extra-Thin. 

Now at the point where I have to paint the cockpit. I'm also trying to convince a Monogram F-105 pilot to drive the Kfir. Would love to see more manufacturers giving us detailed multi-part pilots (separate arms and head) able to fit their respective cockpits. What do you think, Martin? :rolleyes:

Sounds like you're just ahead of me (depending how quickly you progress...)

I have to say, as a modeller I'm not particularly skilled. When stuff doesn't fit well I make the best of it, but my usual efforts are somewhat ham-fisted at best. This leads to frustration at not being able to piece together something as tidily as I'd hoped and the inevitable slow down as I lack enthusiasm to finish the project.

But working on this Kfir is an absolute pleasure. As @ChernayaAkula has said, it's cleverly engineered and everything fits together so nicely. At most all I've needed to get things perfectly snug is the lightest of passes with some very fine sandpaper. I've made more progress (and better looking progress) on this aircraft in just a few days than I have on some others in weeks.

@Martin @ AMK Models I hope you guys do more in 1/72 because if your work is all like this, I'll be up to pre-order pretty much anything you put out in that scale. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, bartkoh said:

Any chance of a new-mould Mirage 2000? I'd be happy to buy a dozen if you have the 2000D and other export variants available. 

I keep hoping that somebody will do just that. Special Hobby will answer my wishes for a Viggen in 1/72 next year, so I'm holding out hope that somebody will do a Mirage 2000 before too long!

Maybe I need to start working on super detailing my Heller two seater to get the process going. As soon as I'm halfway through it, somebody will announce a new kit I'm sure.

Cheers,

Hoops

I was hoping Kinetic would downscale it's 1/48 offering but still no joy after all these years. I could certainly do with a properly-configured M2000D with the correct nose, dorsal dispenser, current targeting pods and weapons. 

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know the best way to contact AMK?

I message Martin here, but he hasn't been online since December something.

Unfortunately when I got to the point in the construction that I needed to work on the canopy I realized that the canopy in my kit has an air bubble right over the pilot's head. Kinda' unsightly. I'd like to see about getting a replacement sprue.

17 minutes ago, Raceaddict said:

Does anyone know the best way to contact AMK?

I message Martin here, but he hasn't been online since December something.

Unfortunately when I got to the point in the construction that I needed to work on the canopy I realized that the canopy in my kit has an air bubble right over the pilot's head. Kinda' unsightly. I'd like to see about getting a replacement sprue.

They seem to be very active on Facebook 

• 2 weeks later...