Custom Aircraft Decals / A Good Source ?

Hello All,

I have no doubt that this has been asked many times, but I find myself in need of some specific custom made markings for a current and a few upcoming projects.  They amount to really some aircraft serial #'s a couple of solid color strips and a command crest ..  in 1/72nd ...

Is that anyone out there that is currently making or offering custom decal work that is reasonable  ?

Robert

On 10/24/2016 at 3:23 AM, moosemodeler said:

I have no doubt that this has been asked many times, but I find myself in need of some specific custom made markings for a current and a few upcoming projects.  They amount to really some aircraft serial #'s a couple of solid color strips and a command crest ..  in 1/72nd ... Is that anyone out there that is currently making or offering custom decal work that is reasonable  ?

If you want to take the Alps decals route, I have a long list of custom Alps printers here:

https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/models/decals.htm#custom

Be aware that a good quality decal sheet requires two steps: drawing the (vector) art work, and then the printing itself. The former is (usually) a lot more work than the latter, and not all custom printers want to do the art work. Serial numbers and solid color strips are of course easy and quick, but a command crest could be more work. And an Alps has a limited color palette.

Rob

Rob,  

The serials and the stripe for the tank are the most important ,  I think I can come up with the command crest.  

I owe you some Firebee pictures to and sorry I have not got them to you yet that I took last year at the USAF museum.

Brian,

Thanks will look into that as well ..

Robert

Is the stripe on a flat or curved surface? If it is on a curved surface, it might be better to mask it and paint it rather than using a decal. If you need a decal (like if the stripe has a complicated pattern), then you need to map out how it should curve as a 2D decal in order to look straight on a 3D model. First mock up the stripe with some tape on the surface of the kit. Then remove the tape, put it on a sheet of paper, and scan the paper. You can use that scanned image to draw up the right shape for the decal.