JHMCS on Vipers

I'm trying to figure out what advantage does JHMCS provide in that case where the aircraft is not loaded with AIM-9x

I thought it was supposed to help with off bore sight shooting of missiles; but I've seen several F-16 pilots wearing the JHMCS without AIM-9x's?

A lot of F-16 pilots are also wearing the newer Scorpion queing add on to their HGU helmets. It's a color display, and I'm sure they both help out in many ways above just the missiles alone, but I don't know all the particulars of what else they do. IIRC, Gentex makes em, maybe check out their website...

Jeff

JHMCS is not only for HOBS shots, also displays/repeats a lot of the HUD info too, iirc primary instrument of flight was the HUD for f-16s so there you go, you'll have the info whereever you are looking at instead of up front only.

Edited by murad

You've gotten some good partial answers above.  There's lots of good reasons, starting with having nearly all the information displayed on the HUD available wherever you look.  This includes things like target tags, wingman symbols, LINK-16 cues, and targeting symbology in addition to basic flight information (airspeed, heading, altitude, pitch, etc).

JHMCS has proven tremendously worthwhile in air-to-ground roles, allowing pilots to synch up target descriptions, with cueing designations from ground forces (JTAC, FAC, another aircraft), and with their own eyeballs.  This results in much faster target acquisition, particularly if relying on "eyes-on" target.  It can also help with quickly ascertaining Collateral Damage, and min-separation distances, if you've got symbology for both the target and the good guys available through the JHMCS.  Finally, some latter versions allow for selectable display of additional sensor information, such as targeting pods, etc.

Air-to-air wise, even in a non-HOB missile equipped aircraft, they are immeasurably useful in picking up targets when closing to WVR, and can also help in breaking out multiple aircraft from a single track file, determining safe separation from wingman for shots into a turning fight, and for not having to turn your own aircraft to look through the HUD in order to pick up a target.  You can also use the helmet to slave sensors (RADAR, IRST, Targeting pod....whatever you're carrying) to your LOS, ensuring that if you've got a visual pickup, you can put your fire control systems onto the target as well.

In short, there's lots of applications for helmet mounted cueing, not just for HOBS missiles.