LF RB-26C camera info

I have decided that I want to start on my Monogram 1/48 A/B-26C Invader, and do it as a Korean War RB-26C. I will probably use Aeromaster's Marauding Invaders Pt.III "48-617"
What I want to do is install the cameras and their respective windows, as well as the M46 flash bombs used for night photography. I have done an extensive Google search of the various forums and the internet, but have not seen any hard factual info on the locations of the cameras, their windows and the flash bombs.

I even checked all through the following references, to no avail.

Douglas A-26 Invader "Warbird Tech #22"
Douglas A-26 and B-26 Invader "Crowood"
A-26 Invader in Action "Aircraft No. 134" 
A-26 Invader in Action "Aircraft No. 37" 
Douglas A-26 Invader "Famous Airplanes of the world No.092 1977-12"
A-26B & A-26C Erection & Maintenance Instructions "25 December 1944"
Pilot's Handbook for Army Models A-26B & A-26C Airplanes "10 August 1945"
A-26 Invader Pilot's Notes
B-26K Flight Manual "T.O. 1B-26K-1"
B-26K Illustrated Parts Breakdown "T.O. 1B-26K-4"

The only photos of a B-26 camera fit were for the Vietnam era B-26K, which is totally different from the Korean era RB-26C. Can anybody help with the info I need?

Larry
lengesath(AT)cox(DOT)net

Found a couple of more pics, a French one but it shows the nose side window:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/France-Air-Force/Douglas-RB-26C-Invader/2046513

However if you look here, click on the highest resolution:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sgt._Ben_A._Robertson,_Henderson,_Texas,_from_his_perch_astride_the_propeller_of_this_Fifth_Air_Force_RB-26_light..._-_NARA_-_542365.tif

there is no window at the side of the nose, you can just make out the lower one and the camera mission marks says it's a RB-26.

Don't know what's on the wing pylon:

12th_Tactical_Reconnaissance_Squadron,_N

As for the flash bombs, I'd guess they would be in the bay as there is lots of room in there.

Jari

Found another pic that shows the window:

capt-al-telson-and-steve-wurtz-in-front-

and some info that confirms they used the bomb bay for the photo flash bombs from here:

http://www.mywarhistory.com/browse/browse.aspx?serviceHeroId=83

3/1952 Soon after his training was complete, Morris Briggs was sent to defend the Stars and Stripes in the Korean War, where he flew 50 combat missions. The RB-26C did not have any weapons nor did it fly as a squadron and it flew at night. Their motto was “unarmed, alone, and unafraid.” Morris’ invader was a converted light bomber that had all of the guns removed and replaced with camera equipment. The bomb bay was still operational as the camera’s need light in order to work. Morris would drop phosphorus flash bombs that made night look like day and then take pictures of Korean placements. The bombs were two million times the candle power light and were built into a 100 pound GP bomb casing but weighed just 42 pounds, and were dropped in a series for the strategic camera exposure.

Jari

9 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

Thanks Jari, for the great photos & links. I really like the nose art & mission markings on that Wikimedia photo. That would look cool on my model.

My research goes on.

Larry

Hi Larry,

Here's a discussion that you should read, if you've not already done so.  Lots of very good info:

Hyperscale discussion of RB-26C

There is no kit or aftermarket source for the M46 Photoflash Bomb.  The photoflash bomb was similar to the M47 chemical bomb, but dimensionally not exactly the same.  You'll have to make your own M46.  Not difficult to do.  Here's the M46:

M46%20p264_zpsi725ryj6.jpg

M46%20Photoflas%20In%20Out_zpskr2f6rf4.j

I made an M46 from the 100# GP bombs found in the AM B-25C kit.  If you're interested, I'll dig it up and post pics here.

Don

Don & Jari,

Thanks for the helpful replies. I had already seen that Hyperscale thread that Don listed, and have it saved as a Word document.

Concerning the M46 bombs, I usually go first to my well-worn copy of Replica In Scale Vol 2, No. 3 & 4, 1974, with its FANTASTIC article "American Aircraft Bombs 1917-1974". I have also found different drawings & photos of the M46 bomb on various internet sources. Now I just have to figure out how many to make and how to mount them in the bomb bay (Forward or aft?).

Larry

Hi Larry, my guess is they would fill the bay up with photo flash bombs as they were needed to take photos and i'm sure they would go up to take as many photos as possible and thus needing the bombs. Although this pic shows standard bombs:

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/bc1c7c7c4bdeeebd_large

they could easily be photo flash ones.

Jari

On 10/25/2016 at 4:08 PM, ReccePhreak said:

Concerning the M46 bombs, I usually go first to my well-worn copy of Replica In Scale Vol 2, No. 3 & 4, 1974, with its FANTASTIC article "American Aircraft Bombs 1917-1974". I have also found different drawings & photos of the M46 bomb on various internet sources.

Larry,

That is a great article.  The only summation, that I know of,  for US aircraft ordnance from a model builder's viewpoint.  This drawing has some dimensions that will be helpful in making the photoflash bombs:
M46%20Detail_zpswbxmdvbn.jpg

Here's a family of bombs that can be made from the 100# bombs in the various 1/48 AM kits.  I had intended to finish these and cast duplicates.  Never got around to the finishing and casting.  The procedure was too reshape the nose, cut the nose and tail sections of the appropriate length and glue back together.  Two kit 100# bombs are required for each

Don

48%20Photoflash%20Chemical%20Frag%20Bomb

Edited by don f
Fixed picture